Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Catalytic Conveter Removal-Warranty  (Read 19808 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Catalytic Conveter Removal-Warranty
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »

FYI, the Motor Company does not share ANY emissions information with dealership staff, via service bulletins, or any other resource. In fact you will not find anything about emissions control in any literature that HD provides.

If by that comment you mean they don't label the information with a big sticker that says "Emission Control", then you're probably correct.  Otherwise, I have to disagree.  There is an entire separate manual that deals with emission control items, among other things, called the Electrical Diagnostic Manual.  All that stuff in there about sensors, ECM's, diagnostic codes, etc., is part of emission control.  It isn't necessary to label it as such, anyone who knows anything about the subject knows what it is.  Also, unless H-D has stopped it to save a few more bucks they can divert to executive compensation, they used to offer new model training that would cover these types of issues as well.  As is the case with all such training, it is up to the dealer to send his people to the training.  Maybe you should ask your service manager or dealer about that.  BTW, if you glance through the Tech Forum information from H-D, you'll find several references to catalytic converters, even in the Dyna section and the Sportster section.  So much for your contention that H-D doesn't share any info with you about emission controls.

IMHO, anyone who wants to be considered a professional can't just sit back and wait for the information to be hand delivered and spoon fed to him.  If H-D doesn't make any of this info available, how do you suppose those of us not in the business find out all about it?  If we can do it, an insider like a dealership employee can surely do it.  I don't accept the excuse that H-D didn't specifically tell you, so it's OK for you not to know and to not be able to answer a customer's question.  If you don't know, offer to find out, don't just blow the customer off.  Ask questions of the boss, who may have the info and just hasn't passed it along yet.  Or check the H-D web site for the info, or contact the tech hotline if necessary.  Or lord forbid, walk over to a few of the new bikes and look.  I think a quick visual examination might shed some light on certain items, maybe even the question about catalytic converters being on all 2010 Touring models.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 12:44:28 PM »

FYI, the Motor Company does not share ANY emissions information with dealership staff, via service bulletins, or any other resource. In fact you will not find anything about emissions control in any literature that HD provides.

Oh my god.  Is there an emoticon of an ostrich with its head buried?  It is way to f&*%^g easy to be reminded why I work on my own rather than trust the damn dealership staffs.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »

Oh my god.  Is there an emoticon of an ostrich with its head buried?  It is way to f&*%^g easy to be reminded why I work on my own rather than trust the damn dealership staffs.
anticipating a papal visit  :huepfenjump3:  :oops:   :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 01:14:48 PM »

anticipating a papal visit  :huepfenjump3:  :oops:   :huepfenlol2:

Oh crap, not another Inquisition.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »

That is a sad commentary, in my experience it also applies to ABS, Kick Stand, and ECM upgrades that I would never have known about had I relied on my dealership.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »

:( :( :(

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »

Its amazing that the techs are always the last to know about upgrades, service bulletins Etc.

For some its a lifestyle. Others, just a job.

The 2010 cat info flew through this place like Katrina the same day the 2010 parts books hit the dealers hands.
The word "catalyst" right after the part number kinda gives it away.
With all due respect, the 2010 cat info did originate from an HD parts counter.

Steve George
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

ky street glide

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:59 PM »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I ordered a core bit to remove the cat on my 2010 SESG.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 01:15:48 AM »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I ordered a core bit to remove the cat on my 2010 SESG.

Sooner or later you will remove the cat complete , send it to Stev t fullsac when you do not trust to do it on your own , or search a welding-shop where they can do it , needs half an hour for sawing , removing complete and welding together again , $50 upto $100 bucks should be the price and it is the end-solution , a cored cat will not satisfy you . ( save these bucks and work )  :2vrolijk_21:
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 07:55:30 AM »

:drink:

Remove the cat fully.

Works the best.  ANd is not that expensive.

:nervous: :nervous:

Former 1999 Road King

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

That's true.  However, considering the 96 no California bikes and the 103 do not have cat's, I would suspect that HD would cover virtually any issue (except maybe the header itself).

I actually put a 96 nonCat header on mine.

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:

so your saying no 2010 103" have cats?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »

so your saying no 2010 103" have cats?

They have 'em.
HOGMIKE

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »

yes they have them
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »

8) :huepfenjump3: :drink:

Actually, all 2-1-2 exhaust systems on the 2010's have cat's  Touring, Fat Bob's etc.

:coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 21 queries.