Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: head pipes?  (Read 10868 times)

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
head pipes?
« on: January 08, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »

Looking to replace head pipes to remove cat from the system. I'll keep the stock pipes for reinstall if need be.

I'd like to know the best fit and finish in your opinion. I'm not really concerned with eeking out every last drop of power so performance is secondary. Would love to hear opinions on your experiences.

Also looking for a slip-on that is a tad quieter than Rineharts but sound similar if anyone can suggest.

Thanks.

2010 Ultra CVO.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: head pipes?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »

What you looking for??...

True duals?

Retain stock look (keep left pipe running under the bike)?

2 into 1??

Give us a little more info... I guarantee we can help you spend some $$$ :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »

Yes more info for sure thanks.

Definitely not 2 into 1.

I could go either way when it comes to true duals or stock look.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »

I'd look into Vance & Hines, Rinehart's, Freedom Performance, Freedom Cycles. Most all will give you the option to use different mufflers since the header pipe is a standard size at the muffler end and allows to use other brands of mufflers. Rinehart's (and possible Freedom Cycles) will tie you into using there complete system... header/mufflers. I would suggest you try to see/hear as many different setups as possible on bikes similar to yours (110ci CVO's) as some will be louder then others... this will also give you the opportunity to see fit/finish of them.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »

After doing some research I'm beginning to lean towards the V&H power duals. It seems they've developed a design offering the best of both worlds. True duals as well as true to the original under frame design of stock for rear exhaust.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »

After doing some research I'm beginning to lean towards the V&H power duals. It seems they've developed a design offering the best of both worlds. True duals as well as true to the original under frame design of stock for rear exhaust.
Not a bad choice... haven't heard them, but they look nice on the website. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »

You have lots of choices and it really depends on you budget. Sound is very subjective and what is music to someone's ears may be noise to you or vice versa.
As far as head pipes, I contacted Vance and Hines as well as S&S and they both stated that if you wanted to keep low range power and torque you should stick with stock (on my 2006 FLHTCUSE -No cat then) since it was well designed. You could save money and buy a H-D 96 ci stock headpipe (No cat in those) or send it to someone like Full Sac and let them remove your cat. Only drawback to that is if state inspection laws or EPA regulations get enforced and you have to return the bike to stock condition you won't have a headpipe with cat to use.
On my 2009 FLTRSE3 I installed the Vance & Hines power duals headpipe and they seem to be good so far.
When it comes to mufflers there are many choices from having new baffles installed in your stock mufflers either by a local shop or send them to Full Sac, you can even choose the size baffles for best performance and sound levels.
I love the deep rich sound of the S&S SPO oval mufflers on my 2006, it is not annoying and you can hear your radio but they really allow the engine to breath and have a deep sound under acceleration.
I wanted to put the S&S on my 2009 but due to the extended saddlebags the oval mufflers won't fit.
On my 2009 I went with Cobra Slip ons and they have a good quality and deep sound too. I am happy with them so far and they went on the Vance& Hines head pipes well.
You may find that going to a large bike event and listening to various bikes until you find a system you like. be aware of engine sizes though because a 110" motor will be louder than a 96 or smaller motor.
If you go with a more open air filter setup you will need a tuner as well to keep your air fuel ratio correct and the motor won't run too lean with more open pipes vs. stock. Also consider doing the air intake at the time of the pipes so you save in tuning time.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »

Shot of my 2009 with Power Duals headpipes and Cobra mufflers.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »

Shot of my 2006 with stock headpipes and S&S SPO mufflers.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »

I have the Vance and Hines Power Duals on my SESG.  They perform nicely and with the Vance and Hines Classic 4" slippons, sound really nice.  Keep in mind though, the Power Duals are NOT true duals, they are actually like the stock headers, 2-into-1-into-2, but without the CAT and do provide a little better performance over the stock pipes with CAT.  If you want true duals, Vance and Hines does make a set.  I think there may have been a couple here that put those one, so if you do a search on them you will find the thread....

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 08:21:31 PM »

I installed the V&H monster oval slip-on to the standard HD cat header and was pleased with the sound.  Then I replaced the HD headpipe with the V&H power duals...still sound great.

The big difference now is when I get on her, she will make some noise..... :bananarock: :bananarock:....perhap sounds a bit to good because I find myself wanting to get on her a lot more just to hear her scream...in fact my wife has on occasion nudged me to get it up.....(the RPMs I mean)

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:38:58 PM »

I have the Vance and Hines Power Duals on my SESG.  They perform nicely and with the Vance and Hines Classic 4" slippons, sound really nice.  Keep in mind though, the Power Duals are NOT true duals, they are actually like the stock headers, 2-into-1-into-2, but without the CAT and do provide a little better performance over the stock pipes with CAT.  If you want true duals, Vance and Hines does make a set.  I think there may have been a couple here that put those one, so if you do a search on them you will find the thread....

Maybe forgot to mention that they look great on his SESG....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

Myko

• Senior CVO Member
  • Takin' Bug Slayer Home

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE "BUG SLR" Spiced Rum - Yummmm!
    • CVO2: 1985 FLHTC "St Steven", RK conversion, hand paint in Naples, IT
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »

I'm putting the Fullsac head pipe on my SESG this weekend... will post pics when done. Have done the baffle change to 2.0 and so far sounds nice, no impact on hearing the stereo. I'm looking forward to the look of the Fullsac, as they are black ceramic and use the stock heat shields... looking at the chrome on the engine and seeing the bluing in the reflection has always been a bit of a downer.... we'll see how the black ceramic looks and sounds.. Fullsac states they are seeing a few HP increase over stock with cat.
~~~~~
Mike
------------------------------------------------------
2010 Spiced Rum SESG "Bug Slayer"
Fullsac X pipe & 2.0 baffles
Corbin Classic Solo w/Scarlet Flames
14" Wild1 Chubby Apehangers
Hawg Wired Double Shot
Kuryakyn Driving Lights
Clark Custom Windshield & Deflectors
Performance Machine FL Touring Mirrors (black)
Color matched saddlebag spoilers
Deflectorization
Diamond Polished Stainless Steel Engine bolt kit
---------------------------------------------------

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 08:01:17 AM »

I have the Vance and Hines Power Duals on my SESG.  They perform nicely and with the Vance and Hines Classic 4" slippons, sound really nice.  Keep in mind though, the Power Duals are NOT true duals, they are actually like the stock headers, 2-into-1-into-2, but without the CAT and do provide a little better performance over the stock pipes with CAT.  If you want true duals, Vance and Hines does make a set.  I think there may have been a couple here that put those one, so if you do a search on them you will find the thread....

Yes, I have become aware of the "power chamber" technology through my research but thanks for pointing it out in case I hadn't.

Not interested in true duals anymore since the production of these "crossover" designs by V&H and BuB's have been developed. As I do more research and contrary to my original post, I believe I do actually have a preference developing towards the stock look of the right header going under the frame. Furthermore, I'm more interested in low/mid torque than horsepower which seems to make the true dual design a little less attractive to me as far as power distribution as well as functionality (heat) goes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:10:24 AM by jesse111 »

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:20:58 PM »

RedDevil, do you mean the Basic Slipons, I didn't see the Classic slipons on their web site?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.