Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Lambda tuning and the HD race tuner  (Read 16060 times)

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Lambda tuning and the HD race tuner
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »

I have a diagnostic tool that allows me to capture AFR,MAP,TPS for each cylinder RPM point.  It is then output in a .TXT file.  I have an Excel Macro that takes this raw data text file and does it's calculations/manipulations and presents the data in RPM/MAP to match SEST and Direct Link (for 2010 baggers).  I also have an Excel Macro that works with TTS as well since TTS has added some columns and is purely Lambda on the 2010 baggers.  The Macro automatically calculates and does the correction for the new VE table from the exisiting VE table.  I have spent a lot of time developing this stuff and it has worked out very well for me on the dyno.  It has worked out especially well on the 2010 model bikes and the 009 calibrations.  As I said earlier the SEST tunes I have done on the 2010 model year bikes have turned out well.  The dyno has to be run a little differently to get the kPa information in each cell but it does work.  The key is accurate data collection.  I already had developed and used similar Excel stuff for the earliers bikes that use RPM/TPS.

I see....
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »

No Dave....if you added .5 to the VE tables first the Smart Tune would pull it back out.....add the extra fuel when your all done tuning.
Doc

Got it,
         Thanks Doc

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »

If anyone believes that the SESPT changes the setting based on fuel type selection they are sadly mistaken. All that it does is show you what it would be with a different fuel. Not only does it not change anything in the calibration if and when you select the smart tune option the value you set in the AFR or Lambda table along with the bias table, get changed and you do not get to see the changes! So as Doc said be careful with it.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »

DavidB,

Are you going to Smart Tune your bike or have it dyno tuned?

I dont have a dyno so im gonna try to richen it a little myself.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »

Is there a way with the race tuners to adjust the closed loop algorithm to allow a richer operation ?

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »

Is there a way with the race tuners to adjust the closed loop algorithm to allow a richer operation ?

Yes you use the Closed Loop Bias table if you have a pre 2010. I personally use any where between .700 and .780mv...that will get you in the ball park of 14.4:1 afr.
If you have a 2010 bike using a 009 calibration you simply use a smaller Lambda value in the cell with a red bar in it. There is a Lambda vs. AFR calculator in the menu of the TTS Master Tune working screen that will help you with the correct number value to AFR value your looking for.
Doc 
Doc's Performance Tuning

Old Harley Dude

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE, Spiced Rum
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Wow, where did you guys learn all this chit?

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »

Thanks Doc !

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »

Thanks Doc !

Dave I keep forgetting your using a SEST.
The closed loop area will be the numbers that are in BOLD print....no red bar in the SEST.  There will be a couple of radio buttons you can click on that will turn the Lambda table into an AFR table to see what the lambda values equate to.
Doc
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:21:54 PM by Doc 1 »
Doc's Performance Tuning

Scotty

• Full CVO Member
  • Scotty's Road Glide
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »

How do we know if our local tuner/dyno person is aware of all this info??

For instance: I am getting a new engine build that includes cams, headwork, a little
more compression, heavy breather, etc. The guy doing the build is the dealer tuner/dyno person.
Do they get special training on setting up the new super tuner on the dyno?

Scotty
09 SERG
Andrews 54 Cams
SE Heavy Breather
V&H Power Duals
Fullsac 2.0 Baffles
Heads by "Freds Heads"
SE Pro Super Tuner

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 04:03:24 PM »

Doc1
Do you know of a way to get closed loop on the 2010 richer than .977 (14.34 AFR)??
HOGMIKE

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »

How do we know if our local tuner/dyno person is aware of all this info??

For instance: I am getting a new engine build that includes cams, headwork, a little
more compression, heavy breather, etc. The guy doing the build is the dealer tuner/dyno person.
Do they get special training on setting up the new super tuner on the dyno?

Scotty

Scotty
There is nothing saying what your tuner knows and what he doesn't know, however, there is training avalable to the dealers through the MoCo or myself at HDMD Tuning Center to get this information but the dealers have to pay for the tech's education and there isn't too many dealers willing to spend the money to have your bike tuned correctly.
If you feel uncomfortable with them tuning your bike you can always pack up the family (and your bike) come down to Disney World and I will tune your bike while you and the family enjoy Mickey Mouse......lol
Doc 
Doc's Performance Tuning

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »

Doc1
Do you know of a way to get closed loop on the 2010 richer than .977 (14.34 AFR)??
No.....once you hit .976 your out of closed loop. 14.3 is plenty rich enough while your in a no load situation (cruise) what are you looking for in fuel delivery and why?
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »

No.....once you hit .976 your out of closed loop. 14.3 is plenty rich enough while your in a no load situation (cruise) what are you looking for in fuel delivery and why?
Doc

Cruise is fine, bike is well mannered, power seems ok, no pinging, no real issues. Gas mileage fine.
Just trying to find a way to cool the thing down a bit!!! Using a pretty aggressive spark advance with no issues there.
Bike is a 2010 103 limited, with good intake and exhaust, otherwise stock.
Can't be done with the new stock engines??
We had set my '09 to about 13.8 cruise when I was back there, seemed to run fine with no heat issues.........just wondering.

How's the weather back there? Still cold???
I won't tell you that it's 75 here!
 ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:24:05 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »

Cruise is fine, bike is well mannered, power seems ok, no pinging, no real issues. Gas mileage fine.
Just trying to find a way to cool the thing down a bit!!! Using a pretty aggressive spark advance with no issues there.
Bike is a 2010 103 limited, with good intake and exhaust, otherwise stock.
Can't be done with the new stock engines??
We had set my '09 to about 13.8 cruise when I was back there, seemed to run fine with no heat issues.........just wondering.

How's the weather back there? Still cold???
I won't tell you that it's 75 here!
 ;D

Yes it's still cold however it did get up to 60 today.......last Sunday as I was getting in the truck to go to Church I fell on my behind on the ICY DRIVE WAY.....my sprinklers came on Sunday morning and froze all over the grass and drive way.....lol
Are you running the 255 cam...I ask because that cam holds a lot of heat in the engine.  You can set the Lambda values to 13.8 with your bike too...no problem however the Adaptive Fuel Values in the Closed Loop system will no longer work keepin gyour tune stabilized and gas mileage will suffer.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.