Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio  (Read 20728 times)

billy421

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 Limited
Re: Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 07:18:54 PM »

According to the HD site, this one fits all the way up to '17s.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/boom%21-audio-amplifier-pa-08-76000277a--1

that is the amp alone, it fits in the saddlwbags or under fairing, not under tour pak, there is no install kit

thanks

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »

that is the amp alone, it fits in the saddlwbags or under fairing, not under tour pak, there is no install kit

thanks
Instructions clearly show that it does indeed go UNDER the TP like the earlier models. https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/62470

A simple search of the part number showed that.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  OBB.  I have the install kit in my office, it clearly shows the same thing!
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »

Will update this thread as soon as my rear speakers come in and I get them installed, they are backordered until the 8th of Dec.
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 11:59:33 PM »

The Harley stuff isn't good at any level.  Get the arc 600W and some good focals and call it a day.  Pet at soundz can help. . . Stuart

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 12:28:58 AM »

The Harley stuff isn't good at any level.  Get the arc 600W and some good focals and call it a day.  Pet at soundz can help. . . Stuart
Bike at the shop as we speak getting exactly that..
Alan

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »

You guys seemed to have missed the point of the original post.  I AM using the Boom! II, as I wanted plug and play.  I am doing the work myself, except for the flashing.  I did not want to get into the cutting and splicing, and I have heard VERY mixed reviews on aftermarket integration with the Boom! head unit.  The KISS principle for me!  Not knocking those who have gone another route, but it's not for me.

shore

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 10:23:36 AM »

I have a '16 cvo sg with the BoomII. I had to replace the Nav unit and ended up with a new '17 SG Nav unit. I'm wondering on this reflash. Should I have the radio reflashed prior to hooking up the Boom amp and speakers?

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »

According to what I am reading, yes.  Unless...your radio has the ability to be turned off and WILL NOT turn back on when the bike is started.  The flash allows that to happen.  But since your's is a '17, might want to ping the dealer.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »

Damn Mac. Snow's on the ground, salt's on the roads. I guess I'll get to hear yours next spring. :-\

shore

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »

According to what I am reading, yes.  Unless...your radio has the ability to be turned off and WILL NOT turn back on when the bike is started.  The flash allows that to happen.  But since your's is a '17, might want to ping the dealer.

Curious on that. I have the bike almost completely apart right now. Frame and engine and wiring intact. I did try and initialize the unit and only got the radio. How do I turn it off to stay off...or should I say, how do i attempt to do this? The amp and speakers are all out of the bike.

From what I have learned, the dealers knowledge on the radios units, outside of usb flashing, is pretty limited. I don't have much faith in that route but I will ask.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »

Curious on that. I have the bike almost completely apart right now. Frame and engine and wiring intact. I did try and initialize the unit and only got the radio. How do I turn it off to stay off...or should I say, how do i attempt to do this? The amp and speakers are all out of the bike.

From what I have learned, the dealers knowledge on the radios units, outside of usb flashing, is pretty limited. I don't have much faith in that route but I will ask.
Hold the Mute button for 3 seconds to power down the radio.

shore

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »

ok I'll give that try.

I did talk to my buddy, he's the service manager at HD here in Daytona. He said he could do the flash and change what needed to be done. he didn't seem to think it would be a problem to turn the radio on prior to doing it.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 11:30:28 PM »

OK, I finally had the time and drive to get this project started.  First, let me say, whatever Harley charges for this install probably is not enough.  This upgrade is NOT for the faint of heart.  I consider myself a pretty good mechanic, but this one is giving me fits.

The instructions SUCK.  The way they state things, is not exactly how it goes.  Too much detail to go into here, just read the instructions for the task you are doing and at least two or three ahead.  They sometimes give details that help.

I have been tinkering for 4-5 hours, and only have the amp mounted, and the rear speakers installed.

Issue 1:  Unpin connector from new harness to install in speaker housing.  OK...but how do you unpin it?  After at least an hour online, I found out it is a 2-pin Delphi Weather Pack connector.  There is a rear clip that must be pried off, then you have to have a tool to unpin it.  What tool?  Good question.  I used one in a huge kit I bought a while back that is for GM, was a two needle like prong one.  Note which one goes in what side, because the striped wire in the left goes in A, and then the stripe goes in B on the right.

Issue 2:  Instruction say to mount the rails on the amplifier before installing.  When done this way, there is no way to maneuver it around the mounting bolts, which you have to remove the tour pack to install.  I took off the left bracket, installed the amp using the right, and was able to install the left while the amp was in place on the bike.

Issue 3:  Instructions call for you to drill an additional 1 freakin' inch hole in the pods for the new wires.  I did not have a bit that large, so I made a 3/8" hole and used a different grommet.  Way overkill in my opinion.

Issue 4:  If I ever meet the Harley engineer who designed this, I am going to smack him/her in the mouth.  You have to replace the rubber nutserts in the speaker pods with new ones.  They go in from the rear.  They have a raised edge similar to a grommet, and DO NOT go in all that easy.  So what does any experienced person do, use a little WD-40.  Went in super easy, thus creating another issue.  Because they went in easy, the push back out even easier.  When you are trying to start all four screws, even the slightest off-center touch pushed them back out.  I must have removed the right speaker four times to put ones back in.  No WD-40 used on the left, but my fingers are paying for it.

Issue 5:  The wiring routing diagram and descriptions are not written for the below average brick like me.  I finally took a break, and will resume tomorrow.  Will post more then.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 11:31:57 PM »

ok I'll give that try.

I did talk to my buddy, he's the service manager at HD here in Daytona. He said he could do the flash and change what needed to be done. he didn't seem to think it would be a problem to turn the radio on prior to doing it.

The instructions EXPLICITLY state that immediate speaker damage will occur if you turn on the system BEFORE flashing it with the new code.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.