Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio  (Read 20970 times)

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

Re: Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »

Our local shop is too on the presentation, but I don't know about the discount.  I normally buy from Surdyke.com  They are 20% off, no tax and normally free shipping to boot.  Returns suck though, you only get store credit minus a restocking fee so be sure what you are ordering.  Do you have the complete list of what you need?
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2017, 06:30:42 AM »

Our local shop is too on the presentation, but I don't know about the discount.  I normally buy from Surdyke.com  They are 20% off, no tax and normally free shipping to boot.  Returns suck though, you only get store credit minus a restocking fee so be sure what you are ordering.  Do you have the complete list of what you need?

Not yet. They just did a bike like mine though so I'm sure the service manager has a complete rundown.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »

Direct from the sheet on the HD Boom Audio Stage II Components Chart :

2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »

Direct from the sheet on the HD Boom Audio Stage II Components Chart :

Thanks Mac. I can't find those other harnesses you have highlighted in yellow though. I'll keep looking.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »

For those adventurous souls doing the Stage II installation yourselves .......it always prudent to check for the latest version of the installation instructions online rather than using the instructions which came with the hardware. As an example there was a recent update to the BOOM! AUDIO STAGE II TOUR-PAK AMPLIFIER INSTALLATION KIT (J005996) dated 1/20/2017. Don't know what was changed but figure 4 still has the same mislabeled items I've previously posted LOL ::)
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/90443
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »

There have been some unanswered questions regarding the .bin file which the dealer flashes to your radio after the installation:
  • The prior .bin file for my stock 2015 FLTRUSE was "135_OFF.bin";
  • The new .bin file is "210_OFF.bin"

Curious to know what .bin file others have come up with?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Glenncarp

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2017, 07:51:10 PM »

I've the same BOOM! Stage I setup on my 15 RGU and after waiting out the many reported bugs in the Stage II upgrade placed my order as follows:
  • Boom! Audio Amplifier-76000277A (installs under the Tourpak - powers rear speakers)
    Boom! Audio Stage II 6.5” Road Glide Fairing Speakers-76000594A
    Boom! Audio Stage II 6.5” Tour-Pak & Trike Body Speakers-76000526A
    Boom! Audio Stage II Tour-Pak Speaker Installation Kit-76000585
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER INTERCONNECT   69200714
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER JUMPER   69200489
A forum member from New Jersey has successfully performed the upgrade and is reportedly quite pleased with the results. He will be helping me avoid pitfalls with my installation which I should complete sometime in the next month. Assuming you'll perform the installation, per motor1, the keys to success appear to be that you must complete the installation prior to the dealer flashing and making sure the radio doesn't come on prior to getting the bike to the Harley dealer for flashing the Infotainment System with the correct ".bin" file. This is accomplished by turning off the radio prior to shutting down the bike just prior to the installation. Apparently this didn't work properly prior to the latest Infotainment update v1.20.1 flashing and the radio automatically turning on caused numerous blown speaker/amp problems.

Being a home theater aficionado, I recognize the advantages of "bi-amping" and, as the Stage II upgrade is the only audio solution I'm aware of using this method, I am most curious to hear if those advantages translate effectively into the (noisy) world of motorcycle audio.
Dennis

Damn, I was not going to change anything on my '16 after exhaust and race tuner, then I had to ask in the dealer about the stage II, then read here!!!!

I called my local shop today and they quoted me $1,900 for parts, labor and flash of radio. If I do the upgrade, I am going all HD as on my '11 I went aftermarket and ruined the entire CVO resell point. I love the options on the Boom Audio now.

Questions:

1) Sounds like fair/average price for the upgrade from the dealer. I live in FL so we ride all year round so no down time to pull apart bike myself and no deals from dealers for winter down time. What say you all on the quoted $1,900?

2) Is upgrade to II worth $1,900 to those who have done it? I know this, before I knew about stage I Vs II, I heard my buddies CVO Street Glide and I thought to myself "wow, that sounds a lot better than mine." So, is the difference worth 2 grand?

Thanks in advance.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »

The parts alone are almost $1300 with a discount at Surdyke.  I have said before, this install is not for the faint of heart.  If you like a challenge, then $600 is a lot for a job that you may like to do.  HOWEVER...during my install, I also have said that WHATEVER HD charges for the install is not enough...lol.  It's been, by far, the most challenging Harley task I have ever tried, and that includes removing all of the body parts on my '08 Ultra for a complete custom paint change.  Have not yet quite finished mine, so cannot tell you about the sound, but like you, I wanted all HD.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »

..............Questions:

1) Sounds like fair/average price for the upgrade from the dealer. I live in FL so we ride all year round so no down time to pull apart bike myself and no deals from dealers for winter down time. What say you all on the quoted $1,900?

2) Is upgrade to II worth $1,900 to those who have done it? I know this, before I knew about stage I Vs II, I heard my buddies CVO Street Glide and I thought to myself "wow, that sounds a lot better than mine." So, is the difference worth 2 grand?

Thanks in advance.
Hey Glenn ...........like most things in life, the answer lies in the eye of the beholder ......affordability is key and level of appreciation of the upgraded sound system is important . When I was much younger I stretched to afford the car of my dreams .........a Porsche 944turbo ......and I loved & appreciated that car far more than some spoiled youngsters I saw driving them courtesy of their wealthy parents ::)! Money is definitely an object for me and paying $2k for an upgrade I really don't NEED isn't prudent. But I decided it was worth it for me if I could have the Stage II for $1200 .......plus the satisfaction of installing it myself :P. Heck .......I learned enough about wiring during the upgrade that if I had to do it over again I'd create my own 313 connection at the amplifier up front instead of running the 6900489 jumper harness the length of the bike ;D.

The parts alone are almost $1300 with a discount at Surdyke.  I have said before, this install is not for the faint of heart. If you like a challenge, then $600 is a lot for a job that you may like to do.  HOWEVER...during my install, I also have said that WHATEVER HD charges for the install is not enough...lol.  It's been, by far, the most challenging Harley task I have ever tried, and that includes removing all of the body parts on my '08 Ultra for a complete custom paint change.  Have not yet quite finished mine, so cannot tell you about the sound, but like you, I wanted all HD.
Hey Jack ........apparently we feel the same way about the satisfaction of a self-install ...........so where are you with your project ;D?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Glenncarp

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »

Hey Glenn ...........like most things in life, the answer lies in the eye of the beholder ......affordability is key and level of appreciation of the upgraded sound system is important . When I was much younger I stretched to afford the car of my dreams .........a Porsche 944turbo ......and I loved & appreciated that car far more than some spoiled youngsters I saw driving them courtesy of their wealthy parents ::)! Money is definitely an object for me and paying $2k for an upgrade I really don't NEED isn't prudent. But I decided it was worth it for me if I could have the Stage II for $1200 .......plus the satisfaction of installing it myself :P. Heck .......I learned enough about wiring during the upgrade that if I had to do it over again I'd create my own 313 connection at the amplifier up front instead of running the 6900489 jumper harness the length of the bike ;D.
Hey Jack ........apparently we feel the same way about the satisfaction of a self-install ...........so where are you with your project ;D?

OK, the more I read here about the install, the more I realize that $700 to HD for the install is SOOOOO well worth it!!! ;D

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

Well, fixing those connections in the rear you mentioned.  Have the fairing cover off, but am also installing fog lights, so it's a big jigsaw puzzle.  I took a break to have heat installed in my garage, only to find out the wire gauge was too small for three heaters per circuit (I have 6 total and they draw 12.5 amps each on high, 800 sq ft garage).  So we are pulling the 12/2 out and putting in 8/2.  Larger breakers were no issue, but have you ever priced a 40 amp light switch?  $38 each x2.  Then I decided I needed to upgrade all my outlets and covers to black w/alum diamond plate to match my cabinets and garage fridge I just refinished.  I have BAD project ADD.  Back at the bike tomorrow.

Glenncarp

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »

Well, fixing those connections in the rear you mentioned.  Have the fairing cover off, but am also installing fog lights, so it's a big jigsaw puzzle.  I took a break to have heat installed in my garage, only to find out the wire gauge was too small for three heaters per circuit (I have 6 total and they draw 12.5 amps each on high, 800 sq ft garage).  So we are pulling the 12/2 out and putting in 8/2.  Larger breakers were no issue, but have you ever priced a 40 amp light switch?  $38 each x2.  Then I decided I needed to upgrade all my outlets and covers to black w/alum diamond plate to match my cabinets and garage fridge I just refinished.  I have BAD project ADD.  Back at the bike tomorrow.

The single item in the post that stands out to me is an 800 SF garage!!! My house in 1,300 SF, but then again, I live .5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and the high today was 82, so I do not need to worry about heating my 160 SF garage!!! Lmao

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »

We bought this house for two reasons, the wife got her large granite countertopped kitchen, and I got a big garage!  It's a 3+ car one, and I have so much in it, she car barely park her Kia in there.  Am also building a Factory Five Racing '33 Hot Rod, so that takes most of it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 20 queries.