Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery Life  (Read 1902 times)

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
Battery Life
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »

Keep the battery tender hooked up while parked in the garage.  Today had the bike out for a look over and check on things under the seat and the tender was unhooked.  As expected, when hooked the battery tender back up it indicated charging.  The time period that it was unplugged was about 3 hours.  The tender has been hooked back up for about 5 hours now and it still indicates that the battery is being charged.  Is this normal or an indication that the battery is getting to a point that it will leave me stranded?  This weekend taking to dealer for some warranty work and also having the battery and charging system checked but will it show anything conclusive?  Have been stuck twice with a dead battery in the past and do not want a repeat occurrence.  Is two or three years about the average time frame for a battery?

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: Battery Life
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:14:50 PM »

Battery Tenders come with different charge rates (should have label on tender listing that rate). Obviously the lower the charge rate the longer it’s gonna take. It is reasonable to expect it to recover overnight.
In regards to battery longevity I replace mine every four years, I think that is as far as you should push it.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »

well, here in la, 2 or 3 years is about the average time frame for my batteries.

but, i had a situation similar to yours, the tender would indicate charging, sometimes for a long time.  what ended up being the case was my tender.  instead of charging the battery, it was actually draining it.  needless to say, got rid of that tender.  haven't replaced it yet.  been meaning to, but i seem to get about the same life out of my batteries whether i use a tender or not (at least when it was working properly).
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 12:57:53 AM »

3-5 years for a battery.  Lots of variables affect the life of a battery. Know some who get only 2 years, know some who can get 6 years.  Dealer can check your battery, can tell if it is in good shape or needs to be replaced.  Most auto parts stores can do the same. 

For a 1 amp Battery Tender, it should charge in a few hours.  Lower amp rated tenders take longer, and if battery is drained too low are not as good for that purpose as a regular battery charger.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:30:54 AM »

Different battery tenders and smart chargers use different algorithms so you need to check the documentation on the one you use, but with many of them it isn't abnormal at all to have an extended period of time before the charger indicates a full charge even though the battery was fully charged when you connected the tender/charger.  It has to do with how the charger tests the state of charge and any "conditioning" features.  What I'd look at is if there is a sudden difference in operation, ie. the tender usually goes green ten minutes after connecting to the battery, but suddenly it takes an hour.  That could signal an internal battery problem, or a tender problem.  Have the battery fully tested with a proper load test; if it passes with flying colors check with your tender manufacturer about how to check your tender.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »

Question regarding type pf replacement battery: Is the police version the same as other touring bikes or does it have greater amp rating? Know I am going to get a new battery by Spring.

Trying to find the best choice since starter drags since 5 k miles and continued to present day. 2 dealers say all good w/ battery and charge system. Thanks in advance for any information.

Donnie

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »

Question regarding type pf replacement battery: Is the police version the same as other touring bikes or does it have greater amp rating? Know I am going to get a new battery by Spring.

Trying to find the best choice since starter drags since 5 k miles and continued to present day. 2 dealers say all good w/ battery and charge system. Thanks in advance for any information.

Donnie

The police models come with the same battery as the other touring models.  If you want a higher cold cranking amp (CCA) rating, look at the battery offered by Yuasa.  Instead of the stock 400 CCA, it has 500 CCA.  It is also at least thirty bucks cheaper.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.php?bID=B217&vID=8046

https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-GYZ32HL-Battery/dp/B00JAXXD2U/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Harley%20Davidson%7C1187&Model=FLHX%20Street%20Glide%7C17630&Year=2016%7C2016&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=motorcycle

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 07:50:24 PM »

Thanks Jerry will seek and buy a Yuasa, More cca`s has to improve the dragging starter syndrome, since purchase while under warranty and dealer says its ok. But who says dealers are knowledgeable and ethical, lol happy holidays.

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:47:44 PM »

:-\ Any one heard anything about chargers/tenders by Minn Kota, specifically their MK 106 PC Precision model?  Have a Battery Tender unit now and looking around for others.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 07:28:25 PM »

Jerry,

Just installed the Yuasa CYZ32HL glass mat battery today replacing the stock one in in my `15 S.E.S.G. bike turns over much better, but wondering, if my bike has decompression releases? Cannot get anyone to clearly answer this at dealers.

Reason asking still grunts at first when pressing starter button then spins ok, bike was in basement at about 50 degrees.

Thanks,
Donnie

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 07:35:09 PM »

if my bike has decompression releases? Cannot get anyone to clearly answer this at dealers.

It does.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:48:38 AM »

Jerry,

Just installed the Yuasa CYZ32HL glass mat battery today replacing the stock one in in my `15 S.E.S.G. bike turns over much better, but wondering, if my bike has decompression releases? Cannot get anyone to clearly answer this at dealers.

Reason asking still grunts at first when pressing starter button then spins ok, bike was in basement at about 50 degrees.

Thanks,
Donnie

Unlike good ol' manual compression releases, or some automatic versions, Harley's releases don't immediately open.  I can't remember the details on how long the delay is, but I imagine someone around here has that info.  I also remember reading something not long ago about Harley finally updated the system to activate those releases quicker.  If your dealership techs are the type that keep up with the latest info from Harley, ask them if they have any details on that change and if it can be applied to your bike.

Jerry

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.