Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lost Tach,Speedo, Both Guages  (Read 913 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Lost Tach,Speedo, Both Guages
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »

Had the bike parked next to the office in South Texas Friday.  It was half way out of the rain and  it l rained  all day. Got ready to head home, fired it up, everything was fine  rode about half a block, lost everything , tach speedo and both gauges,  tach was stuck at 1200 RPM . I was about 300 miles from home, lights and radio still worked radio nothing else. 

Before I decided to ride it home I texted my HD tech told him what was up and asked him if there were any fuses or anything to check. His reply was .. Nope, just ride it.  So I did, ran great, got home put it on the lift, checked it again Sat morning, same thing. Called HD, they said bring it up Monday, got home tonight , flipped the switch  on . Everything worked!. wtf...hmmm   

Rode it up there talked  my tech, said that this is a known problem with the instrument pod on a  RG and they usually don't come back.  He's changed out about 10 or so. Thought I'd pass this on as an FYI...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:50:16 AM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Lost Tach,Speedo, Both Guages
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:27:24 PM »

I've ridden through a couple of monsoons with mine and not had any issues. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 10:33:10 PM »

Don't be too hard on the MoCo Greg.  The notion of having a motorcycle out in the rain is such a new and novel concept that it would be a lot to expect for Mother Harley to have mastered the art yet.  After all, it's only been 115 years.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »

Don't be too hard on the MoCo Greg.  The notion of having a motorcycle out in the rain is such a new and novel concept that it would be a lot to expect for Mother Harley to have mastered the art yet.  After all, it's only been 115 years.

Damn Don, Maybe I am asking too much!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »

Harley has a long history of moisture related failures on various models.  While one might think something like a motorcycle should have waterproof connections and components, that idea never made it to the H-D engineering or bean counting departments.  Btw, early Rushedmore bikes also had moisture related failures due to the handlebar switchpacks being much less than waterproof.  It's as if they turned over their design and engineering work for controls and instruments to some guy from the auto industry, and that guy had always worked on vehicles that had fully enclosed cockpits.

If you still have warranty coverage, I think it would be wise to get this documented before the warranty expires.  It will happen again, and the next time it may not come back.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »

Damn Don, Maybe I am asking too much!

Instruments that fog, controls that have issues with moisture, ECM connectors that do too, horns that sound like geese after a rain, and waterproofed speakers and mounts that; well, arent'.  These are all features.  It's part of the lifestyle we buy in to when purchasing a rather basic two wheeled conveyance that costs as much (or more) than a full featured automobile.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »

Now dats phuny rat dare....

Hey Tex, mine went bad after a good wash last year.  Nothing/zilch/nada on any of the pod gauges.  I used the navigation screen to see how fast I was going heading to the dealer...no cruise or nuttin (cruise wouldn't work because the light on the dead pod wouldn't operate).  Also, did you lose your fuel gauge?  Mine wouldn't work because it's tied in with the pod.  New pod, everything works fine and no issues after about a year.  I did have an interesting issue with the "B" trip meter as it was counting backward when I was heading home....found out the new pods "marry" themselves to the bike after 30 miles and can't be used on another hence the countdown from 30 and "B" running backwards.

The things you discover on these new fangled modercikles... ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:06:34 AM by Haird »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »

Now dats phuny rat dare....

Hey Tex, mine went bad after a good wash last year.  Nothing/zilch/nada on any of the pod gauges.  I used the navigation screen to see how fast I was going heading to the dealer...no cruise or nuttin (cruise wouldn't work because the light on the dead pod wouldn't operate).  Also, did you lose your fuel gauge?  Mine wouldn't work because it's tied in with the pod.  New pod, everything works fine and no issues after about a year.  I did have an interesting issue with the "B" trip meter as it was counting backward when I was heading home....found out it the new pods "marry" themselves to the bike after 30 miles and can't be used on another hence the countdown from 30 and "B" running backwards.

The things you discover on these new fangled modercikles... ;D

;D   I often think back to my early years riding motorcycles, back when things were simple and just worked, and find myself thinking about how much more I enjoyed riding a bike back then when compared to now.  The more they try to equip bikes like modern cars, the less they appeal to me.  Especially when they do such a miserable job taking well established features from the auto industry and screwing them up.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 11:01:28 AM »

Harley has a long history of moisture related failures on various models.  While one might think something like a motorcycle should have waterproof connections and components, that idea never made it to the H-D engineering or bean counting departments.  Btw, early Rushedmore bikes also had moisture related failures due to the handlebar switchpacks being much less than waterproof.  It's as if they turned over their design and engineering work for controls and instruments to some guy from the auto industry, and that guy had always worked on vehicles that had fully enclosed cockpits.

If you still have warranty coverage, I think it would be wise to get this documented before the warranty expires.  It will happen again, and the next time it may not come back.

JMHO - Jerry

Yea, Jerry, I guess I expected too much being waterproof and out in the weather. Bike under warranty, went to dealer , chatted with my tech , they ordered a new one , no questions asked..

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 24 queries.