Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 CVO Limited wind noise through wireless head sets.  (Read 1981 times)

lanoseal

2018 CVO Limited wind noise through wireless head sets.
« on: June 29, 2018, 08:07:58 AM »

Hi one and all

I have 2018 CVO Limited with the wireless headsets.  It has never worked properly and been back to the dealer 3 times and they have yet to sort the issue.

There is continual wind noise when moving at any speed through the headset.  I am able to speak to the pillion through the headsets when I have turned the bike off to refuel. This is telling me that the rider and pillion headset sets are connected through the Sena side of the headsets as well as the HD Boom when bike turned on. When the bike is turned on and the intercom is activated the wind noise disappears while taking using the HD intercom which can be seen as active while the little icon lights up when in use. I think that the Microphone sensitivity on the Sena side needs too be adjusted like the HD side with the VOX settings or better still disabled.

In all honesty i prefer the old wired system and if possible would consider changing back.

Has anyone experienced this problem or got any ideas on how to fix?

Dave

West AR CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Amethyst White Black Licorice
Re: 2018 CVO Limited wind noise through wireless head sets.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »

You might try turning off ambient mode and also side tone if you haven’t already.…I found ambient mode was picking up wind noise constantly and turning it off quieted much of the noise in my modular helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:28:08 AM »

I installed on my '18 FLHTK at delivery.  I rode about 5,000 miles trying to use the wireless setup.  Like you, I couldn't get the VOX to not activate above approximately 60 mph.  The headsets now sit in a cabinet and the module sits, unplugged and unloved, in my fairing.  I don't know about the CVO bikes, but with the non-CVOs, the WHIM has to be unplugged or the wired mic will not work.  I like the wired, with no batteries to worry about and PTT doing its job properly.

Also, I prefer to have side-tone.  I like to know when the system is working and when it's not. 
Big Lew
IBA #595

miceracs

• Live 3 and ride safe
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Best Harley in Brighton 2011

• CVO1: 2015 RoadGlide Ultra CVO
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »

Interesting thread, wished I had read this earlier.
I have 2015 CVO Roadglide Ultra, and decided to upgrade to wireless mainly for safety reasons. (how  many times have you or your passenger forgotten to unplug before getting off?)
Whilst in USA last year from England I saw the wireless unit and decided to buy. (cheaper in USA than UK).
Had it installed by my local dealer.

It does all work EXCEPT issue with noise and the mic system being too sensitive, which when activated reduces volume or the radio.....crap.
For past two weeks have been in dialogue with SENA support which is also crap and unable/unwilling to help. But then if you check out Sena forum, they have the SAME issue with their other devices.
Their advice is for me to contact HD, but what can they do when its the Sena design that is faulty?
Clearly HD failed to complete a valid user environmental test before changing to wireless, I just wonder how HD complete these test and issue a quality audit to approve manufacture?

To help improve / reduce the sensitivity, I have fitted an extra cover on the mic boom. Not 100% but does improve it slightly.
An expensive, poor quality upgrade......... >:(
I work to fund my ability to roam countries on my bike, I live for the day when I no longer need to work and still do what I want!

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »

Have you folks downloaded the Sena management app to your phone or iPad? As I remember it has a setting for ambient and mic adjustments that might work for you.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

miceracs

• Live 3 and ride safe
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 02:40:09 PM »

hi yes have installed the Sena app on my phone and activated the audio boost which Sena advised, as this setting is not found anywhere else. But did not fix the issue.
Thanks for the idea though.
I work to fund my ability to roam countries on my bike, I live for the day when I no longer need to work and still do what I want!

Lil Mel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2018 Limited Anniversary CVO
    • CVO2: 2017 Limited CVO
    • CVO3: 2013 Ultra Electroglide CVO
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »

Have had the same problem with VOX opening at any speed 55+ regardless or it is a calm or windy day.  I put tape over the slot on the mic that faces away from user's mouth. Not sure that has helped.  Have just put tape over the two outside slots of the mic that face the user.  I have also put a second windsock over the mic.  Not sure if either of these attempts will help.  Hopefully I will find out tomorrow when I ride with my wife.

miceracs

• Live 3 and ride safe
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »

set up and configure your wireless system as per this youtube presentation, it does improve things almost 100%

Still add the 2nd boom cover, I can now go at 60+ and still works unless very windy.

good luck. :orange:

swhalen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »

set up and configure your wireless system as per this youtube presentation, it does improve things almost 100%

Still add the 2nd boom cover, I can now go at 60+ and still works unless very windy.

good luck. :orange:
Will the H-D wireless headset work with a 1/2 helmet or no helmet at highway speeds with the wind?  I have a 14” shield on my RG. Already have the whim but haven’t bought the headsets yet. Just wondering for those who have tried. Lot of money to invests especially if I am buying for 2. Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 09:59:27 AM »

I have the wireless headsets on two half helmets and have a lot of trouble with wind noise with the HD intercom on. I have tried to set the VOX at the highest setting with no luck unless I go all the way to the end witch closes the VOX altogether and then use the PTT button to talk to my girlfriend which is a real pain. I also get a lot of wind noise using the CB which I can hear though the headset. I had wired headsets on my 2016 CVO and the half helmets with no problems. Not satisfied with the wireless on my 2019 CVO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 04:09:24 PM »

I have used various wired and wireless headsets since '99 on FatBoys, Road Kings, SEEG *& SERG. When I bought the current bike I felt like we had gone to heaven, the wired headsets were GREAT. Maybe this has no bearing on the current wireless problems, but after trying several brands we determined the Sena was the worst brand as far as wind noise. We wear full face helmets so I never felt the helmet was the problem. When HD came out with the wireless awhile back I just had to smile, several friends bought the whole deal and none of them have had good luck yet. I love our wired headsets, they work flawlessly.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »

I have had the HD wired head sets, no  issues.  Not on my 15  or my 17. 

My 18 wireless has been nothing but a pain.  Wind noise on phone or CB.  Phone can not be heard though the helmet head set speakers.  You can hear it though bike speakers. 

Volume on phone is full, same with head seat speakers on bike screen where you can adjust.  Also the HD branded Sena 20 has the phone volume on full, and not hear phone.  Battery life sucks also, 8 hours max.  Not even a full days ride.

I would love to go back to reliable and usable wire.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.