Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 CVO Limited Sena Boom Audio Interface Issues  (Read 1673 times)

lanoseal

2018 CVO Limited Sena Boom Audio Interface Issues
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:46:59 AM »

I received my bike back last week, after having a discussion with the Service Manager I was told that he can not fix the problems I have been experiencing with the Boom Audio Sena Interface. 

To say I am disappointed in the bike is an understatement; I brought the most expensive Model made by Harley Davidson and thought it was their Flagship or Marque Model.

I have had the bike for about 6 months and only managed 4K Kilometres, it is not as pleasurable to ride as I would have hoped.

The problem:

There is continual wind noise through the heads sets, this problem was identified and reported within a week of taking delivery of the bike.   

It appears to my untrained eye that the SENA side on the system is live and will not disengage.   The rider and pillion can still communicate through the headsets once the bike ignition is turned off.   Also on a number of occasions the headset will not paired correctly with the bike on startup.

When the Headsets have not paired correctly I have tried turning off the headset and reconnecting but have had no joy.  The only way to restart the Boom Audio is too turn the bike off and on. This is not an option when travelling in a group of other bikes. 

Once I have reached the destination I have been able to restart the bike and Boom Audio thus re-pairing the headsets.  On a number of occasions this has not sorted the issue. On occasions the rider’s headset hasn’t paired and not the pillion or visa versa.  Communication between the rider and pillion is not functioning as expected during these issues

Only on one occasion has the Sena Communication system worked correctly (in my opion) and that was a, 30minute ride from home to Cleveland.  Upon restarted the bike to return home the wind noise and interference returned.

This wind noise is not the Harley Intercom activating

Has anyone got any Ideas?

Dave
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:50:56 AM by lanoseal »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: 2018 CVO Limited Sena Boom Audio Interface Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:00:22 AM »

What has the dealer done so far?  Replaced WHIM and/or headsets?   Checked the VOX (voice sensitivity) setting on the microphone?  If you have CB, have you/they checked squelch settings?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

West AR CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Amethyst White Black Licorice
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:07:11 AM »

Two things to check:

Is all of the firmware up to date?

Is Ambient Mode off? If not, the microphone is open all of the time causing unwanted noise. I leave mine turned off.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lanoseal

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 12:22:04 AM »

What has the dealer done so far?  Replaced WHIM and/or headsets?   Checked the VOX (voice sensitivity) setting on the microphone?  If you have CB, have you/they checked squelch settings?

Yes headsets and whim replaced, all updates done, settings changed and changed with no joy.  Beginning to suspect boom audio ?

DougM53

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »

I have the same issue.  Mine is working ok, my wife’s does not.  Wind noise all the time.  She tucks it up under her visor so she can just hear the music and not talk.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 10:49:36 PM »

She tucks it up under her visor so she can just hear the music and not talk.
Are you saying she tucks the mike up, and that fixes the wind noise problem?  If so, that indicates the voice circuit is activated (more or less permanently).  That's a big clue for troubleshooting the system.  See #1 in the discussion below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes headsets and whim replaced, all updates done, settings changed and changed with no joy.  Beginning to suspect boom audio ?
You might have two or more different problems, one with the Boom audio, and one with the bluetooth (WHIM) system for pairing the headsets with the bike.  I don't have the schematics or the operating instructions for the WHIM system, so I can't be specific, but there are some general things that come to mind.  After the headsets pair correctly with the bike (assuming they will):

1.  Can you set the intercom/CB system to work only on PTT (push to talk)?  If yes, test both intercom and CB for constant wind noise like before.  Do you still have it?
a. If it works properly for both CB and intercom, there's a problem in the VOX (voice-activation) circuits...which problem might be in the PTT/VOX switch...or the Boom...or both.
b.  If wind noise is still there, could be a problem with the PTT/VOX switch...or the Boom.

2.  For the pairing problem:  If both the headsets and WHIM have been replaced, I don't know what else there is except a (very-unlikely) defective new one, or a problem in the Boom.

HTH.  Let us know what happens.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »

I have the same issues with wind noise and know it is coming from the head set mike being opened from wind hitting the mike as at lower speeds doesn’t seem to interfere like at higher speeds. I have read the VOX setting on the mike is set at 6 from the factory on a setting from 1 to 10 but have also read as of now there is no way to adjust the setting. Has anyone else read anything on this or been able to adjust the setting on your headset?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.