Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: GP Esses  (Read 3885 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
GP Esses
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »

Where does one begin with the quest to obtain one of these widgets?
It would have to be quick detachable for use in the vehicles as well as the serk...
Any direction or source of info will be greatly appreciated and beers will be tipped in honor.
Thanks in advance.

Miker

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: GP Esses
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »

It would have to be quick detachable for use in the vehicles as well as the serk...
Any direction or source of info will be greatly appreciated and beers will be tipped in honor.
Thanks in advance.

Miker

I won't make any reccomendations, but I will send you here, http://gpsinformation.net/ This is the most informational web site I have ever found. Great info. Great reviews etc.

The Zumo is a very popular motorcycle friendly unit by Garmin. I don't have one, but many here do.

:indian_chief:

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »

I won't make any reccomendations, but I will send you here, http://gpsinformation.net/ This is the most informational web site I have ever found. Great info. Great reviews etc.

The Zumo is a very popular motorcycle friendly unit by Garmin. I don't have one, but many here do.

:indian_chief:
http://www.pcnation.com/web/filtersearch.asp?url=GPS+Equipment&categorytitle=GPS+Equipment&manuffilter=GARMIN&searchtext=550&filtercount=0&minprice=14.5&maxprice=2829.39&submitfilter=Search has the best price I have seen so far ($657 w/ Free shipping), with Costco.com following close behind.  I sat on the fence for a long time and went with the 2610 but no longer in production... No wonder, they came out with the Zumo a few months after I took the plung.  Other threads on the Zumo Tips and Tricks you should read.  You will get hooked.  I am on the fence again!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 05:21:27 AM by magicl1 »
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:20:52 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Miker

Miker,
I recommend the Garmin Quest 2.  You don't have to have a separate antenna - has audible capability (if you have speakers) and is very portable (you can even use it as a hand-held unit).
I did a search on the internet and ordered mine from an outfit in Edmond, Oklahoma (sorry can't remember the name of the company)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:34:11 PM »

I have the Zumo (550) and I'm quite pleased with it. It doesn't require an external antenna, it comes w/two mounts (one for scooter and one for car). The car mount will have a speaker in the mount the scooter mount will require use of speakers on your bike (you can use the Aux plug on MoCo's factory radio if you purchase a stereo patch cable). The 550 is Bluetooth capable, and has an internal MP3 player. If you choose to later add XM radio you can by purchasing the XM antenna (which is really the XM receiver). The Zumo actually comes w/two different ways/mounts to mount it on your scooter (I choose to buy an aftermarket mount (chrome) as another way of mounting mine).

Check out this thread with some more information in regards to mounting the Zumo - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation .

If you have any more questions concerning the Zumo shoot me a PM.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:38:32 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:38:11 PM »

Miker,
Just found the website for the place in Edmond, Okla.  You might check it out:

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=887

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »

In my opinion, there are really only two choices to consider with what is currently on the market, and both are Garmin...Zumo 550 or Garmin Streetpilot 2820.  Both these units offer the latest/greatest technology, will integrate fairly easily to the bikes audio system, and offer the best screen resolution.  There are advantages/disadvantages in each model, but they are insignificant.  Not knocking anyone elses choice, but these are the two best, IMO.  The nod would probably go to the Zumo 550 if I were purchasing today.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 09:15:52 AM »

I started doing some due diligence on theses things....Now my brain hurts....
I think I'll just go with the popular vote on this thread maybe ending Friday or Saturday...
I don't mind not using maps, I have found some neat things while lost... :huepfenjump3:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:18 AM »

I think I'll just go with the popular vote on this thread maybe ending Friday or Saturday...
I don't mind not using maps, I have found some neat things while lost... :huepfenjump3:
You'll enjoy a GPS then. Now you can get off the beaten path, find new/neat things, and never be lost. ;) Once you get a GPS and program "Home" into it all it will take is pushing a couple buttons/touch screen and it will automatically plot the quickest route home for you. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 09:37:34 AM »

The GPS is peace of mind in these situations.  We like to explore until we've had enough, then a quick press of the "home" location button and the GPS routes the quickest way home keeping in mind that I like to avoid unpaved roads, toll roads, etc.  As Forrest would say, "One less thing"!  I have the Garmin Zumo 550 and the Garmin Streetpilot 2820 and would highly recommend either.  I personally prefer the Zumo as it's size and intuitive operation are a little more appealing.  In fact, I've logged a little over 8,500 miles on the Zumo while only putting a little over 2,000 on the 2820.  I find myself switching the Zumo from bike to bike rather than keeping one on each.  Another advantage of the Zumo is that it will run for about 4 hours off of it's own battery without external power.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »

I still carry my HD road atlas with me, as at night I like to get "the big picture" in my head of where I'm headed the next day, and see any attractions I might otherwise miss by not having the map.  But once you've used the GPS, you'll wonder how you lived without it.  It takes nothing away from the riding experience, IMO.  Getting lost is fine, discovering places you might not otherwise, but when the sun starts going down, or you need to find the closest place to get gas/eat/sleep, it's hard to beat having it onboard and all those things just a couple of punches away.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 02:50:40 PM »

Miker,
I will echo what others have said, in that you will wonder how you ever managed without the GPS; especially if you wind up in a large city that you are not familiar with.
My wife and I have taken several week long trips without a map or GPS.  Our driveway is 400 ft long - as we head down the driveway I ask my wife which way she wants to turn and then we go.  The whole trip may be deciding which way to turn at every highway junction - we enjoy these trips.  But when you need to find a motel, restaurant, or gas you can't beat a good GPS.  We head to Arkansas quite often on these trips and in Arkansas on some roads you wind up heading every direction but the one you intend to go because the highways wind around the mountains - a good GPS can keep you on track even if you feel like you are heading the wrong direction.

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 11:37:13 PM »

Purchased my first hand held back in the early 90's for my boat while wandering around Lake Powell.  :verkleidung056: Easy to get lost and also easy to hit certain hidden obstructions.  I plotted tracks near all the channel markers half way up toward the Escalante tributary.  With the water level down as it is now, I had to adjust some points since those are now dry sections of land!

On several occasions, once during strong winds and heavy chop and a few other times during late returns to the dock in the early evening, the Track Back feature saved my butt!  Either could not see as it was too dark or I had to pay attention to the 2-3 ft waves so it was easy to check the GPS to be sure I was headed in the right direction.  Limited features on the hand held back then so the 2610 is a real treat.  Only wish I had waited for the Zumo's release before making my purchase.
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »

I would vote whole heartedly for the Garmin 2820.  I don't how I ever survived without it!
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 04:15:26 PM »

I would vote whole heartedly for the Garmin 2820.  I don't how I ever survived without it!

Hey Shannon.  If you leave right now and really haul ass you could point that 2820 toward Hot Springs for the weekend!

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 03:08:08 PM »

I gotta hold off on that...  dammit.   I'm scheduled for a 5 day putt with my daughter for next weekend, and I need to be around to keep her centered up unitil then....    thanks for the reminder tho!
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 04:36:13 PM »

I gotta hold off on that...  dammit.   I'm scheduled for a 5 day putt with my daughter for next weekend, and I need to be around to keep her centered up unitil then....    thanks for the reminder tho!

That sounds like both a lot of fun all by itself and an even higher priority riding buddy.  You two have a great time.  Just don't let her soak you for toooooo many souvenirs!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.