Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: [Motorcycle] Camera Advice???  (Read 4851 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: [Motorcycle] Camera Advice???
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 02:56:40 PM »

I'm seriously considering getting the Nikkor 70-300mm VR zoom (About $600) or the Tamron 18-280mm VC zoom (About $625).  I've taken some pictures with the Tamron, and was very impressed with the quality of the pictures.  The thing I like about theTamron, is if your restricted for space, the Tamron can be the one, and possibly only lens you would need to have.  I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning heavily towards the Tamron.

When I started my kid sister down the DSLR path a few years ago got her started with Nikon (though I'm sure it was only then an entry level price consideration and had nothing to do with her not then being able to raid my good lenses ::) ).  Last Christmas she was wanting a lens that would "do just about everything" and she'd need to go about anywhere in as limited a space as possible.  Looked over a few and got her the Tamron.  She loves it.  No complaints at all.  I've only used it a couple of times so can't say a lot personally.  But those limited impressions seemed good too.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 03:17:30 PM »

I have the D90 (got it for Christmas) and got the Costco package (D90, 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses, and bag).     :devil:

How much Charlie?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »

How much Charlie?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

SBB

With tax, it came to just a touch over $1300.  I thought it was a very good deal.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 06:12:47 PM »

With tax, it came to just a touch over $1300.  I thought it was a very good deal.

Thank you sir!

SBB

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »

When I started my kid sister down the DSLR path a few years ago got her started with Nikon (though I'm sure it was only then an entry level price consideration and had nothing to do with her not then being able to raid my good lenses ::) ).  Last Christmas she was wanting a lens that would "do just about everything" and she'd need to go about anywhere in as limited a space as possible.  Looked over a few and got her the Tamron.  She loves it.  No complaints at all.  I've only used it a couple of times so can't say a lot personally.  But those limited impressions seemed good too.
the Tamron impressed me.  Very solidly built lens and has low dispersion glass.  Seem to have excellent edge-to-edge quality from about 35mm up to 250 mm, with very slight edge distortion at 18-35 and 250-280mm.  Not very noticeable at all, unless you were really looking for it.  I liked the lens, just need to save up the sheckles to get one.

2012 FLHXSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »

the Tamron impressed me.  Very solidly built lens and has low dispersion glass.  Seem to have excellent edge-to-edge quality from about 35mm up to 250 mm, with very slight edge distortion at 18-35 and 250-280mm.  Not very noticeable at all, unless you were really looking for it.  I liked the lens, just need to save up the sheckles to get one.

She's had no complaints at all about it Charlie.  And it's physically small too.  Shorter than some competitors when stored.  A nice one-size-fits-all piece for a day-to-tay walking around lens :2vrolijk_21: .

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »

That's one of the reasons I'm considering it.  This makes a good all-around shooting lens, giving a 15x magnification factor and very good to excellent pictures.  Knocks down carrying two or three lenses all over the place.

2012 FLHXSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 07:57:35 PM »

That's one of the reasons I'm considering it.  This makes a good all-around shooting lens, giving a 15x magnification factor and very good to excellent pictures.  Knocks down carrying two or three lenses all over the place.

They offer a similar piece with a Canon mount.  I keep thinking very strongly about getting one for the day-to-day stuff to use on the day-to-day D40.  Might even play with it on the 5D-MII to see it can keep up with that body when needed for things special or with a higher degree of difficulty.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »

They offer a similar piece with a Canon mount.  I keep thinking very strongly about getting one for the day-to-day stuff to use on the day-to-day D40.  Might even play with it on the 5D-MII to see it can keep up with that body when needed for things special or with a higher degree of difficulty.
I've read reviews online about it, and it's gotten good reviews and relatively high praise for a "lower priced" lens.  I think the versatility of one lens being able to do what it does is it's greatest selling point.  The only really negative thing I've heard about it is that if you carry the camera where the lens is vertical, make sure you put the zoom lock on, or "park" the lens at 18mm, otherwise its own weight will cause the lens to extend out to it's maximum.  Minor glitch for such a versatile lens I think.

2012 FLHXSE3

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 08:03:31 PM »

I've been reading the reviews on the Tamron and overall, it reads very good.  I am concerned about speed of auto focus.

Still looking and evaluating.  Canon has a leg up but nikon's rep is top notch also.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »

Bill,
I don't think you could go wrong with either brand to be honest.  I looked at the Cannon and the Nikon, compared the two and the Nikon edged out because of the HD video over the Cannon and the fact that I'm somewhat biased towards Nikon.   ::)

2012 FLHXSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »

I've read reviews online about it, and it's gotten good reviews and relatively high praise for a "lower priced" lens.  I think the versatility of one lens being able to do what it does is it's greatest selling point.  The only really negative thing I've heard about it is that if you carry the camera where the lens is vertical, make sure you put the zoom lock on, or "park" the lens at 18mm, otherwise its own weight will cause the lens to extend out to it's maximum.  Minor glitch for such a versatile lens I think.

That's true.  It will do that.  Both in its current trim and in the last model of the same lens that has been superceded by the version more intended for use with digital cameras.  My sis's new one does on her Nikon.  I do have the older version of the same lens that I picked up for less than a hundred bucks on eBay a couple of years ago.  Often use it with the 35mm SLR when just out farting around.  It does the same thing.  The lens gets an erection if you let it hang down.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 11:37:07 AM »

OK, now leaning towards the D90 after handling both it and the Canon for more than 30 seconds....

Looking at the Nikon 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR lens for back of bike use.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »

OK, now leaning towards the D90 after handling both it and the Canon for more than 30 seconds....

Looking at the Nikon 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR lens for back of bike use.

/Bill

TC is the guru to speak to Nikon glass.  Hopefully Toby hasn't pecked through his skull and he'll be able to login and give some good advice.

Here birdy birdy birdy :whip: .

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »

TC is the guru to speak to Nikon glass.  Hopefully Toby hasn't pecked through his skull and he'll be able to login and give some good advice.

Here birdy birdy birdy :whip: .
:huepfenlol2: ;D ;D ;D :D :huepfenjump3:That bird's got your #, TwoLane.  :oops: :drink: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.