Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speakers losing volume/sound  (Read 3908 times)

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
Speakers losing volume/sound
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »

Just cruising and my audio volume will slowly fade away.  After monkeying with it some time I noticed that it sounded like the the - button was being pressed/held so I would press/hold the + button to increase volume and the music will come back.  Then the music will slowly fade away.  Has anyone had this issue?  It's like the - button is sticking.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:26:48 PM by Mach »

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
Re: Speakers losing volume/sound
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »

I just experienced the same issue for the first time this weekend. I just logged in to see if anyone else has had this issue, and this was the first post that I saw.
I'm also looking for some help here. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you fix it?
Thanks....

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:23:01 AM »

Just cruising and my audio volume will slowly fade away.  After monkeying with it some time I noticed that it sounded like the the - button was being pressed/held so I would press/hold the + button to increase volume and the music will come back.  Then the music will slowly fade away.  Has anyone had this issue?  It's like the - button is sticking.

If you can actually see the volume bars on the faceplate decrease, it's probably a switch issue.
Could also be a wire issue, but start with the switch

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »

I have the 2011 Convertible, no display.  I tried both phone and Ipod and the issue is the same.  I put dielectric grease on the connector at the fairing and tried to clean out any corosion.  That hasn't helped.  I'll let you know how I fix it.  It's getting annoying.

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »

JQ, any luck?  nothing my way.  Looks like the next step is to replace the assembly.  Would sucks if it's not the assemble but the amp and controller is one.  I've seen some install a new amp but it could be the controller.  Anyway, I think the smart move is to replace the assemble. 

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »

No change thus far. Not sure what the problem is. I'm probably going to bring the unit to a local stereo install place and see if I can change it out and put in a higher quality amp/speaker set up, as it's not that great anyway.

Njeans

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »

Been having the same issue on mine for a while as well, but just found this post. Did anyone ever figure it out???  :nixweiss:

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »

The only thing I figured out was a complete replacement.  I have not done this yet.  I think the replacement was close to $1,000.  It's one big assembly.

I've thought about upgrading amp and speakers for a DIY project but I'm to busy to dig into this.

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Streetglide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 11:47:33 PM »

Happens to me periodically. Nothing to do with volume or load; just some bug in the software that clips the sound for no reason.
Dealer doesn't have a fix yet. And to be honest he didn't really know about it as an issue.
But it's an issue all right.
Hopefully a software flash will be able to fix it soon. Doesn't make financial sense to replace an entire sound system on your bike.

Njeans

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:22:33 AM »

Do you know if HD is actually looking into this and working on a solution? When I took my bike to the dealer, they were ready to order me a new amp for $900. Of course I laughed and walked away. I know I could replace the whole system, with better speakers, for around the same price.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »

Happens to me periodically. Nothing to do with volume or load; just some bug in the software that clips the sound for no reason.
Dealer doesn't have a fix yet. And to be honest he didn't really know about it as an issue.
But it's an issue all right.
Hopefully a software flash will be able to fix it soon. Doesn't make financial sense to replace an entire sound system on your bike.

Do you know if HD is actually looking into this and working on a solution? When I took my bike to the dealer, they were ready to order me a new amp for $900. Of course I laughed and walked away. I know I could replace the whole system, with better speakers, for around the same price.

Be careful when reading these threads.  Unless I'm seriously mistaken, I believe the thread was originally about Softail Convertibles.  I also believe phantomxrt has a street glide, which is a totally different audio system.  Those systems have had too many problems to list, and many software updates, and problems still exist.  Updates and downloads for the Touring system aren't applicable to the Convertible/Deluxe models.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 05:29:34 AM »

little update. 
The bike was having a terrible time starting so I took it to the HD shop.  Turns out a ground wire was loose and once the HD tech tightened the ground (assume it was a main ground) bike fires up great and now my speakers are working properly.  It's been a few months and I HOPE I'll never have the speaker issue again.

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »

Never mind, Radio still hosed up. 

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.