Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question - 2014 CVO factory tender pig tail and battery issue  (Read 2439 times)

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member

I had this happen a few weeks ago and again this morning. I start the bike and it won't start (bad battery). I try again and the bike will start (barley) but the display is dark. This happened a few weeks ago and when I rode it for a little while everything worked fine. I suspected a weak battery but since I was riding everyday I had not problems. Then this morning the same thing happen again.  I left the bike and will get a battery today (only a year old!).

I have always left my bikes on a battery tender so I was very surprised when this happened. I did check the pig tail and the 12 volts was there but the pig tail plug has one male and two female pins. The trickle charger has one male and one female. The plug does fit fine and the dealer said this was OK. I am now wondering if this is really OK. The charger clearly showed the battery was charged.

Has anyone had this issue with the battery and display?
Does anyone know if the two pin tender is hooked up properly to the CVO pig tail in order to charge the battery.

I will be talking to the dealer shortly as well.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Re: Question - 2014 CVO factory tender pig tail and battery issue
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »

Pigtails are generally three pin and tenders two pin in US on the bike. Think three pin pigtail also for international, but might be wrong here...All the pigtails I have seen on bike in last 5 years are 3, on tender 2. Back in 2001 had two pin pigtails for bike and seen then sold separately here and there.
Will

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »

The pigtails were changed many years ago so as to be compatible with all the chargers Harley had sold over the years.  So it's normal to have 3 terminals in the bike side connector.

As for the battery, it's not uncommon in recent years to get a battery that has a very short life.  I'd suggest charging it until it indicates it's fully charged, then go to the dealership and have them run a load test.  When the battery fails the load test, they will then be able to replace it under warranty.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »

The dealer tested the battery and it was bad.  Replaced it under warranty and received the bike wash (which she needed). Good to know that even without the display working the bike ran fine.

I checked into the pig tail closer. There are really only the two pins.  The far hole (which looks like it would be the female part of the pin) is actually just  hole for the cover to align with when the pig tail is not in use.

So all is good except the battery had a life of about 1 year!  $181 if it needs to be replaced.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »

battery mart  100 bucks
Will

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »

The dealer tested the battery and it was bad.  Replaced it under warranty and received the bike wash (which she needed). Good to know that even without the display working the bike ran fine.

I checked into the pig tail closer. There are really only the two pins.  The far hole (which looks like it would be the female part of the pin) is actually just  hole for the cover to align with when the pig tail is not in use.

So all is good except the battery had a life of about 1 year!  $181 if it needs to be replaced.

Some chargers had a third pin, not sure why, but that's where that extra hole came from.  I'm not aware of any current chargers that have more than two pins, but there again I haven't seen all the chargers on the market.  Just thought you might like to know the origin of that extra hole.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 12:26:59 PM »

Thanks for three pin info. I am sure there is one somewhere. On my bike the third pin is really more like a small tit, just my expression, that is used to keep the cap on square when not is use.   

The $181 is Harley's price. Battery Plus + has one for $129 and two year battery for $144.

She runs great again now!!

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.