Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Windshield Brass Insert Spinning  (Read 8408 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Windshield Brass Insert Spinning
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 10:23:21 AM »

I guess I wont bitch about the well-nuts any more.

Definitely don't.  I still remember, I don't have a clue how many years ago, the first time I took the screen off a Tour Glide (wellnuts like the Road Glide).  Of course one of the swelled up wellnuts just turned.  Probably several did, but who cares.  I said bad words and berated the the ancestry of wellnuts everywhere.

Then.... literally less than a week later, ran in to my first instance of a ruined brass insert on a buddy's bike.  Quickly realized I LOVED the sacrificial and (really) easy to use wellnuts.  Wellnuts are our friends (just don't buy them at the bike shop).  :drink:

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »

A lot of good tips, and plenty to put fear into the heart of a new RGU owner wanting to try out windshields!  :soapbox:
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

CannonBall

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »

Every time I hear of this problem, I cringe at the memory of watching the service tech install my windscreen with a cordless drill...

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »

Every time I hear of this problem, I cringe at the memory of watching the service tech install my windscreen with a cordless drill...
Even is he had the torque setting dialed down I'd certainly be fearful he would overtorque it nonetheless.  I'm very careful whenever I remove my shield and my outer fairing even from my bat wing bikes.  Those brass inserts are sonic welded into the plastic and while usually pretty stout they can come loose.  Had it happen on my '06 on the center of the windshield.  Fortunately no problem getting it out and a little JB Weld did the trick.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »

I helped a buddy after he had spun one. I went to lowes and bought a couple slightly different types, did a modification by grinding the diameter of one that had a very course thread on the outside, presumably for wood. Added a dab of epoxy and screwed it into the hole in the fairing, cutting a thread in the plastic. Worked like a charm.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

p_borkowski

• NC

• CVO1: '15 FLTRUSE in Blue
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »

I took it to the dealer and they told me since I did it I was paying for it, not the warranty.  If they fixed it it was $98 an hour.  I took it home and fixed it myself, pulled out the insert, tapped the threads and reinstalled with some JB weld. The part I need is $107 and only takes about 45 minutes to get apart. An obtw the new rg fairing is a lot easier to take off than the older style.  If it pulls out again I will look for the threaded inserts, those inserts sound like the repair inserts Harley has for the Electra glides. Brass melted into plastic will never be a good idea, just saying. Thanks for all the help everyone. Paul

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »

i Just posted the same issue to a new thread.  I didn't see this one, even though I used the search engine.

Anyway.. How did you guys get that screw out?  Did you drill it?  I've been turning, prying, etc and I can't get it to come loose.  Just keeps spinning.

This is a '15 CVO RGU, so from what I'm reading I have a brass insert on the other side of the fairing that has come loose from something?  The speaker box?

I'd really like to know of any other options to get it out.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »

I answered in the other thread but, if the screw is still in the female, take something like a screw driver, tape it up so nothing gets scratched and pull it out by putting the screwdriver between the fairing and the chrome trim and use the trim as a lever, once the brass insert spins there isn't anything you can do but pull it out of the inner fairing because the hole it's in is already honed out.
Sounds gruesome but there isn't any way to turn back.

And go slow and easy, like obb said, don't go gorilla on it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:04:44 PM by King Glide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 22 queries.