Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: What was your first motorcycle and the circumstances behind it?  (Read 45242 times)

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
Re: What was your first motorcycle and the circumstances behind it?
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »

Mikey i took a look at the link in your post... are those your bikes ?? my last metric was a KZ900 LTD and man i miss that bike. have always thought about getting another one

Yes those are all in our collection. The 1976 KZ900 LTD is the first Japanese factory custom ever built. Some what of a "CVO". They were assembled in Lincoln, NE and used parts from US suppliers. The wheels, exhaust, and Goodyear tires were all made in the US. It was the first triple disc brake offered and other many other custom enhancements
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

5-0king

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2017, 12:26:58 PM »

First bike was an 06 Road King Peace Officer.  Growing up had a older cousin who used to rip around town on a softtail.  Married into a family of Harley riders.  Always loved the look of the Road Kings and the  time was right was able to get one.  Just wish someone would have warned me about the cost of owning a Harley.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »

No Cushman owners out there?
These bikes were built in Omaha, Nebraska until the early 60's, Mine was a 1955 Iron Eagle. The later models had a Silver Eagle the first model with the kick starter on the side. They had an industrial motor that sounded more like an overgrown lawn mower. When I was 14 I traded the Cushman for a Honda 50 that would rev up like a big bike. My best friend and I had numerous bikes all through the 60's and 70's before interest changed to cars and women. That ended with no bikes for a number of years. We bought Harley's in the late 90's. After riding the Harley's and remembering all the fun we had when we were young, we started collecting bikes that we had as kids. We found and have most of those so we began collecting Classic Muscle Bikes. The collecting turned in to hoarding and the rest is history!
www.Classicmusclebikes.com
Mikey

Hi Mikey,
I just visited your Classic Muscle Bikes website.  I had no idea you had a collection like this.  I'd love to come see it one day.  Looks like you've got a very interesting operation going!  Ready to see you and Pat in a couple weeks here!
Harry
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »

No Cushman owners out there?
These bikes were built in Omaha, Nebraska until the early 60's, Mine was a 1955 Iron Eagle. The later models had a Silver Eagle the first model with the kick starter on the side. They had an industrial motor that sounded more like an overgrown lawn mower. When I was 14 I traded the Cushman for a Honda 50 that would rev up like a big bike. My best friend and I had numerous bikes all through the 60's and 70's before interest changed to cars and women. That ended with no bikes for a number of years. We bought Harley's in the late 90's. After riding the Harley's and remembering all the fun we had when we were young, we started collecting bikes that we had as kids. We found and have most of those so we began collecting Classic Muscle Bikes. The collecting turned in to hoarding and the rest is history!
www.Classicmusclebikes.com

:2vrolijk_21:

Cool looking scooter...........I was born and raised in Omaha.  Couple of buddys had Cushmans,  and I had a chance to buy one,  but it was a no go with my Dad.  So I never became an owner and really wanted one.  While not a current member this year,  for a few recent yrs,  I joined the Cushman Owners Club (or somewhat similarlly named club).  They had a newsletter and scooters and parts for sale, etc.  But to get an old Cushman RoadKing like I wanted from the early 50s,  was pretty pricey.  So I never pulled the trigger on buying one.

If I can find it in my collection of pictures,  I will add to this post a really really cool Cushman Eagle......(though I was never interested in the Eagle version)

/quote]

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »

Honda 250 scrambler. Great bike for the times. Late 1960’s.

Mikey

• Senior CVO Member

• Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2017, 07:23:58 AM »

Hi Mikey,
I just visited your Classic Muscle Bikes website.  I had no idea you had a collection like this.  I'd love to come see it one day.  Looks like you've got a very interesting operation going!  Ready to see you and Pat in a couple weeks here!
Harry
RGlideKid,
You and any of the site members are welcome to visit anytime. I always make this offer " You can ride anything you can start" with today's poor quality fuel and batteries that last about a year it makes keeping this many bikes running next to impossible! I try to keep 5 or 6 ready to ride but even that is tough. Looking forward to retirement and plan to do a Route 66 museum bar combination.
www.classicmusclebikes.com

Mikey

• Senior CVO Member

• Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2017, 07:42:42 AM »

My first bike was a belt final drive Whizzer that my older brother got during one of his travels and gave it to me. That was in the late 50's. I was around 10 or 12 years old. I didn't ride it on the street but I wore an oval path out in the pasture next to our home. Those were the days.
Like others have stated, we were too poor to even think about taking pictures back in those days.
Lars something like this one? 1947 Schwinn Excelsior
These are fun bikes! Pretty squirrely when it takes off and not much brake. They sold a kit to convert your bicycle. The kit was less than $100 dollars but to me at that time $100 was impossible to get!

2ROWDY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »

Fyi. The Texas Cushman club is having there annual meeting here in Snyder this year. They have been roaring around town the last couple days. Lots of very nice machines.
2005 FLHTCSE2, RINEHART TRUE DUALS, FUEL MOTO AC/DC AIR CLEANER, DYNOJET POWER VISION FROM FUEL MOTO.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »

I got my first motorcycle when I was in college. I bought it used from a college friend. It was a Honda CB500 circa 1973. Four Cylinders of fun with a kickstarter. I put a picture below but it's not my personal bike, just a representative pic.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »

I got my first motorcycle when I was in college. I bought it used from a college friend. It was a Honda CB500 circa 1973. Four Cylinders of fun with a kickstarter. I put a picture below but it's not my personal bike, just a representative pic.

I thought the big Honda's from those early 70's were so beautiful.  Didn't matter the color...they had class.  Never did get one, but dreamed an awful lot about them!
In Illinois back then, I believe you couldn't own over a 175cc until you were 18 or 19.  Now we've got 1800cc bikes in our garage! 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »

1967 XLH Sportster.  Purple & White.  Had White Saddle Bags, Windshield, and a White seat.  All from the factory.  Had those rivets or bolts, or what ever the hell they were back then in the rims for the tube, I think.  At any rate, spun the rim inside the tire, and eventually ripped the valve core out.  My first crash!  Didn't bode well at all.  Went down at about 45 MPH.  I've still got gravels in my right forearm, and right butt cheek.  If it'd happened 10 min. before that, I'da been dead, and none of you clowns would've ever known Ol' Hub!  LMAO!
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »

Lars something like this one? 1947 Schwinn Excelsior
These are fun bikes! Pretty squirrely when it takes off and not much brake. They sold a kit to convert your bicycle. The kit was less than $100 dollars but to me at that time $100 was impossible to get!

Somewhat similar to the one I rode.
I spent hours riding in the pasture next to our house.
Made a lot of left turns.
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »

My first was a 1976 Honda 750 four. I bought it in Illinois while at Great Lakes A school. Never rode a bike and tried it in the parking lot and knew I was over my head. Luckily I was smart enough to bring someone who could ride. I spent the next four weeks learning to ride on base before getting my license. Next came the drug induced space rides .

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2017, 03:33:52 PM »

Bridgestone Chibi 60. I was about 9. My cousin had a Honda 50 and my dad wanted me to be able to out run him. I was so cool with my bell bottoms and Chuck Taylor Converse. I later graduated to a Honda M/T 125, two-stroke street legal dirt bike. My dad licensed it, I put on a helmet with dark shield and road it for three years until I was 16 and could get my license. I was always big for my age.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Squires

• Squires
    • CT

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »

I bought a '74 Honda CB750 for $400. in 1988. A Family friend's father passed away. He ended up with It & thought I'd dig it. It was a solid, tough, reliable bike. It lasted 50k and 3years.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:36:55 PM by Squires »
Harley-Davidson Technician, love bikes and the life, If I'm not riding, I'm wrenching!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.