Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Want to see what crap your breather dumps into your intake?  (Read 23023 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Want to see what crap your breather dumps into your intake?
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »

pete_4854,

I failed to see the throttle body support bracket! Thanks for the info!

Here's the picture of the upper TB cross brace.  It bolts under the banjo bolts and then has two bolts down from the top into the top of the throttle body.

Also Robertg, if everyone is so concerned about the oil debris inside the AC, what happens when the condensed oil and water vapor hits the filter and then drains down the side of your transmission?  Just thought that was an odd place to put the filter.

I have my old Shovelhead crankcase vented out the back and under the frame at the rear of the transmission.  This is out of sight and only a little vapor comes out.  UNLESS I've let it set of a month or so and the crank sump fills up and then it's a HUGE mess when it's fired back up.  Be prepared to clean up half a quart or more.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »

Here's the picture of the upper TB cross brace.  It bolts under the banjo bolts and then has two bolts down from the top into the top of the throttle body.

Also Robertg, if everyone is so concerned about the oil debris inside the AC, what happens when the condensed oil and water vapor hits the filter and then drains down the side of your transmission?  Just thought that was an odd place to put the filter.

I have my old Shovelhead crankcase vented out the back and under the frame at the rear of the transmission.  This is out of sight and only a little vapor comes out.  UNLESS I've let it set of a month or so and the crank sump fills up and then it's a HUGE mess when it's fired back up.  Be prepared to clean up half a quart or more.

Can't speak for a shovel head, but not the case for a twin cam. 
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2015, 03:25:33 AM »

Evo motors will sump up.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2015, 12:13:18 AM »

Can't speak for a shovel head, but not the case for a twin cam.

I agree on the Twin Cam as it has a pan that's lower than the crankcase.  It will not fill up with oil.

My point was to hide the filter underneath rather than possibly oil filming the side of the bike over the long term. 
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2015, 07:36:53 AM »

If he were run the hose the way I did it, there would be no need for a filter at all and there would be no hose visible, nor any oil venting to ground.

The key point is that you route the hose up, not down and let gravity return any oil back to the head.  No oil will get past the banjo fitting before it runs back into the head. It is the same concept as using an expansion tank for a hydraulic system.

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

Old thread I know!

Anyway to do this on an 2007 FLHTCUSE2 bike regarding the throttle body support bracket?  I don't have holes in my HPI 58 Max-flow to marry up to that bracket shown in the photos.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »

After 50 years of fooling with motors, I see no need for this diverting the overflow waste. Let it burn, combustion temp is so high these days that immediately the fumes are turned into exhaust waste go away and they are almost fully fumes at this stage, turn to liquid as they cool and accumulate in hose or can. If really worried about it, use a add-on bung welded into high vacuum area of exhaust and let the exhaust suck it out like we did our race cars 40 years ago before we found vacuum pumps. But nothing I want to deal with in a can hung under a vehicle. JMHO.
My experience as well! Good post.
Bob

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »

Old thread I know!

Anyway to do this on an 2007 FLHTCUSE2 bike regarding the throttle body support bracket?  I don't have holes in my HPI 58 Max-flow to marry up to that bracket shown in the photos.

I have the old cable throttle body.  Is there a support bracket that might work as shown in this article?

Thanks!

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2017, 06:48:09 PM »

Sorry guy, I don't know anything about your intake plumbing.

On mine, the bolts holding the intake to the side of the motor are hollow and allow the gasses in the valve rocker arm area to vent into the air cleaner area.  By drilling and tapping, and installing a fitting, I routed those gasses to the ground. I plugged the orifices in my air cleaner backing plate with Blue RTV.

The reason I did it was not to prevent those gasses from entering my cumbustion chamber, but to prevent the condensate (mostly oil) from running down the inside of my air cleaner, saturating the air cleaner element, and ultimately dripping onto my cam chest while parked, or accumulating and then blowing all along the right side of my bike at speed.

Not everyone has this problem, nor chooses to fix it they way I did.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:44 PM »

Sorry guy, I don't know anything about your intake plumbing.

On mine, the bolts holding the intake to the side of the motor are hollow and allow the gasses in the valve rocker arm area to vent into the air cleaner area.  By drilling and tapping, and installing a fitting, I routed those gasses to the ground. I plugged the orifices in my air cleaner backing plate with Blue RTV.

The reason I did it was not to prevent those gasses from entering my cumbustion chamber, but to prevent the condensate (mostly oil) from running down the inside of my air cleaner, saturating the air cleaner element, and ultimately dripping onto my cam chest while parked, or accumulating and then blowing all along the right side of my bike at speed.

Not everyone has this problem, nor chooses to fix it they way I did.

You did a great fix!  I just found what I was looking for so I could use your design to complete mine.  I was simply looking for a support plate that could support my throttle body.  Your support plate bolts to your heads and the top of your throttle body and mine does not have those holes on top of the TB so I need support from the face of the throttle body.

Just in case anyone else would like to see here is a photo of what I found online.

Thanks!!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »

Similar to Dan's set up, DId the banjo fitting s from Kury,  milled the backplate the thickness of the fitting, bolted it right between backplate and head. Hoses run up and well hidden, no catch can, haven't seen a drop on the ground yet. Oil is running uphill.   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:51:31 AM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

jimfreeman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »

The "final" leg of the breather hose is actually in contact with the top of the rocker box before it goes through the hole in the frame & then on down to the ground.  I cannot route the hose so that it is not laying on the rocker box.  I am concerned that the heat from the rocker box will melt the hose.  Anyone have a problem with the hose melting?

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2017, 06:29:45 PM »

Nope.  I used 600 degree silicone fuel line.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

jimfreeman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2017, 11:19:27 PM »

Good to know.  Thank you.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2017, 07:00:38 AM »

The "final" leg of the breather hose is actually in contact with the top of the rocker box before it goes through the hole in the frame & then on down to the ground.  I cannot route the hose so that it is not laying on the rocker box.  I am concerned that the heat from the rocker box will melt the hose.  Anyone have a problem with the hose melting?

I used standard Advance Auto parts 3/8" fuel line.  No problem, but which hole in the frame?  Right or left side?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 21 queries.