Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Engine sounds awful and no power  (Read 19174 times)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Engine sounds awful and no power
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 12:53:27 AM »

From your description, it sure sounds like it's running on one cylinder until you get it up over 3K rpm.  Have you checked the condition of the rear spark plug to see if it's fouled from oil or running rich, is it too lean, etc.  Would be nice to see what it looks like after a period of low-RPM running when bike is ragged, and also immediately after high-RPM smooth running.

BTW, if the spark plug is getting fouled, the O2 sensor might also get fouled/forced out of correct range.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 12:27:59 PM »

The dealer was closed on Monday, so I contacted them today.  With it being only six weeks off the showroom floor, it's certainly under warranty.  Dealer is going to come pick it up at my house, as I have no truck or trailer to haul a motorcycle.  Sucks, as I commute with my bike from April to November, so I'm relegated to the cage until it's fixed.  I was doing some research on failures of 02 sensors.  Looks like I'm in good company.  lol
My guess is they review the diagnostic codes, check the HD site for what to do, then replace the 02 sensor as recommended.  If it happens to run, declare victory and call the customer to pick it up. 
I asked if they could just give me the O2 sensor to replace, and the service manager said no.  Their tech has to perform and diagnosis and replace the parts, as they need the full paper trail to get reimbursed by MoCo for the warranty failure.  Seriously, it's all of 20 minutes for me to remove the old sensor, apply anti-seize and install the new one.  That's including time to scratch my a$$ and clean anti-seize off the 37 things it mysteriously smudges onto. 

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »

The dealer was closed on Monday, so I contacted them today.  With it being only six weeks off the showroom floor, it's certainly under warranty.  Dealer is going to come pick it up at my house, as I have no truck or trailer to haul a motorcycle.  Sucks, as I commute with my bike from April to November, so I'm relegated to the cage until it's fixed.  I was doing some research on failures of 02 sensors.  Looks like I'm in good company.  lol
My guess is they review the diagnostic codes, check the HD site for what to do, then replace the 02 sensor as recommended.  If it happens to run, declare victory and call the customer to pick it up. 
I asked if they could just give me the O2 sensor to replace, and the service manager said no.  Their tech has to perform and diagnosis and replace the parts, as they need the full paper trail to get reimbursed by MoCo for the warranty failure.  Seriously, it's all of 20 minutes for me to remove the old sensor, apply anti-seize and install the new one.  That's including time to scratch my a$$ and clean anti-seize off the 37 things it mysteriously smudges onto.

Yeah that antisieze has a way of getting everywhere! LOL

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »

Be very very careful with that anti-seize compound, or you'll be changing the sensor again in the near future. 

While it may be an O2 sensor, those codes do not automatically mean replace the sensor.  There are other failures that will also set those same codes.  Hopefully your dealer will do the full diagnostic routine and make sure to get the root cause of the problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 08:20:56 AM »

Be very very careful with that anti-seize compound, or you'll be changing the sensor again in the near future. 

While it may be an O2 sensor, those codes do not automatically mean replace the sensor.  There are other failures that will also set those same codes.  Hopefully your dealer will do the full diagnostic routine and make sure to get the root cause of the problem.

Jerry

It wasn't a simple O2 sensor issue.  The dealer techs have been on the phone with Milwaukee.  They tried removing an ECM from a new bike and marrying it to mine, and that didn't help.  The last thing they were going to try was to fashion a new temporary ground to the ECM to see if there was a bad ground in the wiring harness.  I'm guessing that didn't work, or they would have called me to pay my bill and pick the bike up. 

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »

It wasn't a simple O2 sensor issue.  The dealer techs have been on the phone with Milwaukee.  They tried removing an ECM from a new bike and marrying it to mine, and that didn't help.  The last thing they were going to try was to fashion a new temporary ground to the ECM to see if there was a bad ground in the wiring harness.  I'm guessing that didn't work, or they would have called me to pay my bill and pick the bike up. 
It's a brand new bike. There shouldn't be a bill for it.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:15 AM »

It's a brand new bike. There shouldn't be a bill for it.
For the fix, you're right.  I had them perform the 5K service while they had it, so there will be a bill for that.   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 08:46:42 AM »

I had a similar issue.

When you filled the tank, did you fill it up to the very top of the neck and then park for lunch?

I ask because that was my issue. I once stopped for gas and filled up with the bike upright between my legs, and not on the side stand. This allowed me to fill it up to the edge of the filler neck. When filled to the neck and then parked, the gas vapors expanded and pushed gasoline into the overflow system. This dumped gas right into the induction unit (throttle body) causing it to gag in an over rich manner while throttling up. I had to let the bike idle a while and "drink" up a sufficient amount of gas to lower the fuel level in the tank. Once this was done it ran fine.

Not sure if this is what happened to you, just sharing my experience.

Mark

Mark I fill to the very top of the filler neck every time.  Just a habit after riding across the deserts many times.  I've never experienced an issue.  I go so far as to fill it to the top, rock the bike so it gurgles down and top it off again......several times before it will no longer gurgle down.  And yes, we've topped off many times, then gone in to eat or some other thing that's time consuming.   As a matter of fact just yesterday Miguel was teasing me about "JC you can only get so much gas in that tank".  Never been an issue.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 08:52:05 AM »

On a California model with a carbon canister, overfilling can flood the canister and lead to driveability issues.  Unlike current cars and trucks that have baffle systems in the fuel tanks to help prevent overfilling, a Harley tank has nothing.  I wouldn't fill beyond the bottom of the filler neck (when the fuel comes up in the little holes around the filler tube, that's enough.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »

Update: still not running properly.  I talked with the service manager yesterday.  It sounds like Milwaukee doesn't have a clue what's wrong with the bike or how to fix it.  The last thing they attempted was to change the fuel pump.  The service manager said it seemed to help the rough idle, but still awful during throttle roll-on.  I'll call Milwaukee HQ today, but I don't expect anyone there will give a crap about one unsatisfied owner.  I just don't get how they throw parts at it and hope something works.  It's so random. 
It is NOT the dealer's fault!!  MoCo had very specific guidelines on warranty work, and the dealer techs can't solve the problems and get paid unless they have checked all the boxes and received approval from Milwaukee.  Meanwhile, I have no motorcycle to ride day 10.   

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 08:31:23 AM »

HD should give you a loaner bike
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »

HD should give you a loaner bike
Yeah, I thought so too.  I asked.  No joy.  I'm beyond upset.  I thought owning a CVO would bring a premium experience.  Silly me....

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 07:16:12 AM »

Update: Beginning week four of the broken CVO saga.  I wrote a letter to MoCo, letting them know the date my bike turns into a LEMON, per Virginia law, and requesting full reimbursement for damages.  The day Milwaukee received the letter, a field service technician called the dealer, per their service manager.  They tried "one more thing", that thing being swapping out the lifters.  Didn't solve the problem.  I heard yesterday that the field service tech is planning to fly from Milwaukee down here to Virginia today.  He plans to get to the dealer late today or tomorrow morning. The dealer data logged cold start up and running hot, plus took some video, for the field service guy to study on his way down.  I'm told the FST plans to head back to Wisconsin on Friday.  As the dealer has had to order parts and wait for delivery, for most of the parts they have thrown at it, I'm dubious the bike will actually be running before the FST departs.  At any rate, by this time next week, I should have a resolution.  Unless something amazingly surprising occurs, I suspect MoCo will be buying the bike back and I'll be riding a new Victory.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »

I suspect MoCo will be buying the bike back and I'll be riding a new Victory.

Which Victory will you be looking at? I really like the Cross Country Tour. Lots of good usable torque and power and well behaved at slow maneuvers. The storage seems decent, probably as much as an Ultra. I've tried the Vision and it's too "Johnny Quest" for me.

I hope the issue gets resolved to your liking. I don't like to hear about folks going through what you did.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »

Which Victory will you be looking at?

I like how the Magnum X-1 looks.  I like the utility of the rear box, but prefer the look without one.  I usually ride one-up, so stripped-down cruiser bagger works for me most of the time. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.