Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Engine sounds awful and no power  (Read 19309 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Engine sounds awful and no power
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »

Update:
I went for a ride to Key West and back from my home in SW Virginia the week of 18 July.  The bike didn't do well.  I had some warning signs; occasional backfire, hard starting, and some other electrical shenanigans.  I took the bike in for an early service, new tires, brakes (since they had the wheels off anyway), and a general look-see.  I got to the lowlands of South Carolina when the XM started acting up.  Intermittently would loose signal.  That problem only got worse riding into Georgia and northern Florida.  The XM became unusable due to "no signal", even though it was flat and clear line of sight to the sky (satellite).  When I woke up in South Beach, Miami, the bike didn't recognize my fob.  I brought along some fresh batteries for the fob, as per usual on longer rides.  Changed out battery and no joy.  I had my second fob along.  Changed battery in it and no joy.  Tried another new battery in the first fob.  No joy.  I googled the pin procedure, and did that.  I would get three digits into the five digit code, and the screen would blank and go dead.  Four digits in, blank out.  Did that silly process about five times, and finally started.  I rode down into the Keys and continued to re-start the bike with the pin.  Same issue with the display blanking out as I entered the pin.  It was a struggle to get the bike started every time.  Made it to Key West.  Woke up in the morning and the bike recognized the fob.  Yay!  Started back north, but then more radio issues.  It started with clipping in the sound; I could hear the instruments but not voice.  Then the music faded to nothing, with any source (FM, AM, BT).  Continued north and then the ammeter started swinging between 14 and 16 amps.  The needle would move vigorously, back and forth.  Then the little odometer/tripmeter/gear indicator display in the speedo started dimming.  It would wash out completely, so I couldn't see remaining miles to empty, etc.  I made it home, albeit a quiet ride.  I took the bike into Roanoke Harley Davidson the first Friday I was back.  I wrote down all the problems I've had with the bike, including the month long repair issue I had in August of last year.  I told them I think there was an electrical issue that needed sorted; most likely a ground problem, as that's the only thing I can think of that all systems share in common.  The dealer ordered a bunch of parts.  Took a week for the parts to arrive, then they had to fit the bike into the service schedule.  Three weeks in, last week, the dealer had all the new parts on the bike, but needed to take the bike on a longer ride to confirm all repairs were a success.  It rained on Monday and Tuesday, and the dealer doesn't ride customer's motorcycle the rain for safety reasons (yeah, SMH).  In the meantime, I told the dealer I thought the bike fit the criteria of a Lemon per the Commonwealth of Virginia's laws.  They gave me a quote on a trade, at my request, but the numbers were not very good.  I sent a FedEx letter to Harley Davidson Motor Company, requesting they buy it back.  I called HD Customer Care, and asked them to start the process on buying the bike back.  I have had zero call-backs from Harley Davidson in Milwaukee in over three weeks.  I've called them repeatedly.  I hadn't heard from the dealer since they called in week two, so I gave them a ring last Friday.  I was told that Harley Davidson in Milwaukee had called them on Wednesday (this is last week) to tell them to stop work on the bike.  I've now been without my CVO for four weekends, this time.  I called HD Customer Care again yesterday.  Was told no update; the case has been sent to the Consumer Affairs department, but the manager was leaving for the dealer show in Vegas and he didn't know when she would be able to address my issue.  I asked if there was any timeline, and he just asked that I have patience. 
I've owned this CVO for 13 months, and it has been out of service for nearly eight weeks during this period.  I expected a premium motorcycle and a premium customer service experience when I purchased this CVO.  I've had neither. 
Thought I would let others know of my experience, and let it inform you as you wish.

WOW just WOW!!!! This has been a nightmare for you. I had an electrical problem on my 14 CVO Limited last week. I blew the accessory fuse and had no radio, seat ,grips ect. Dealer in New Lisbon Wisconsin got me back on the road.

Good Luck!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

J.D.

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »

OP I'd suggest that you consider soliciting legal advice at this point.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2017, 08:34:47 PM »

I would stick to my gun for a new bike.....this is not how it should be......but what ever you do...don't buy a VICTORY!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »

I would stick to my gun for a new bike.....this is not how it should be......but what ever you do...don't buy a VICTORY!!!
New bikes were just released, They're hideous. That new Indian Elite is looking pretty good right about now Joe. And $3k cheaper than a new SESG too.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2017, 06:08:14 AM »

The local dealer was able to take the bike on a long ride (100 miles, lol) to confirm the parts they replaced fixed the various issues.  While out on the confirmation ride, the bike fob quit communicating with the bike.  He was able to get it running by using the pin,  but then the shifter broke.  Keep in mind, I don't even have 10K miles on the bike.  They replaced the pin, but had to order another fob.  It's almost comical.  I'm happy that I purchased a BMW S1000XR for a backup, so at least I'm on two wheels.  Sad that one needs a backup bike to stay riding, having purchased a top of the line Harley Davidson motorcycle.
Today is Thursday, 24 August.  When I called the dealer yesterday, they confirmed that the Harley rep is scheduled to be at their shop today, to look at the bike.  I'm planning to run down to the dealer this afternoon, with hopes of having a discussion with the rep. 

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »

Incredible. It’s been almost 2 months since your last post. What’s the scoop? Any updates?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2017, 02:55:28 AM »

This post reads like a nightmare.  Hope you get this straightened out, Norseman.  Nobody deserves to go through all of this just to "ride & have fun."  Time for the MoCo to step up and do the right thing by you has long since passed.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2017, 04:28:38 AM »

Incredible. It’s been almost 2 months since your last post. What’s the scoop? Any updates?
He hasn't been on here since Aug 24th.  Maybe he gave up on Harleys?   :nixweiss:

If you want peace, prepare for war.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2017, 06:21:37 AM »

He hasn't been on here since Aug 24th.  Maybe he gave up on Harleys?   :nixweiss:

He traded it in on a new Fatbob with the 114. Not sure of details of the trade as I wasn't going to be nosy. I actually stopped by that dealer while on vacation a few days ago and the Demon was nowhere to be seen.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »

He traded it in on a new Fatbob with the 114. Not sure of details of the trade as I wasn't going to be nosy. I actually stopped by that dealer while on vacation a few days ago and the Demon was nowhere to be seen.

It must be just me and my peculiar way of looking at things, but I still have a hard time understanding Harley riders who just trade in defective bikes on another Harley, sometimes several times over a decade like some people on this site.  How exactly does this kind of behavior cause the manufacturer to take quality and reliability seriously, when they can make additional sales and profits off their lousy quality?  Harley has made a killing over the years thanks to this kind of blind brand loyalty, and it doesn't exactly make a strong case for competitors to try to produce higher quality and more reliable products to capture market share from Harley.  Too bad Yugo didn't find a way to appeal to Harley riders, they might still be in business.

JMHO- Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »

I guess they don't call you a grouchy old fart for nothing!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2017, 02:11:42 PM »

I guess they don't call you a grouchy old fart for nothing!
I know you're just making a joke, but I want to emphasize his point.  Maybe he is (I am too), but he has a good point.  How much Kool-Aid do you have to drink (or how many brain cells do you have to kill) to block the grouchiness caused by MoCo screwing us and then we say "May I have another one?"  I'm not sure I want that much brain damage.

Jerry's analysis is right on the money--HD makes even more sales and profits by producing poor quality, then not fixing the problems, when we trade one problem-filled bike for another.  They have no incentive to improve.

Another thing: Jerry puts his money where his mouth is...note how long it's been since he gave the MoCo any new business.   :oops:
If you want peace, prepare for war.

mark

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »

I know you're just making a joke, but I want to emphasize his point.  Maybe he is (I am too), but he has a good point.  How much Kool-Aid do you have to drink (or how many brain cells do you have to kill) to block the grouchiness caused by MoCo screwing us and then we say "May I have another one?"  I'm not sure I want that much brain damage.

Jerry's analysis is right on the money--HD makes even more sales and profits by producing poor quality, then not fixing the problems, when we trade one problem-filled bike for another.  They have no incentive to improve.

Another thing: Jerry puts his money where his mouth is...note how long it's been since he gave the MoCo any new business.   :oops:

I too agree.  I'm past the point where I HAVE TO RIDE BRAND X.  Especially if Brand X has been a disappointment.  All those that had trouble with their HD and that caused them to traded it in on another - the dealer and HD make out like bandits = made profit on two new sales, plus the money they'll make on selling the trade-in.  That's a win - win - win.  BTW, did Yugo have a motor clothes department?   

ultrarider123

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »

I would also like to agree here.  Einstein is credited for this quote but not sure he did/didn't.  However "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”....just like buying another new HD expecting rainbows and unicorns.

The more I look at the current offerings even with the new motor and even though I've been riding something HD off and on since I was a teen, the more my mind is made up as this '15 was my last new HD.

And Norseman, if you did trade for the 114 Fatbob to get out of all that trouble, I hope this new one gives you much better service and zero problems, sir.... ;D

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »

I was one of those kool aid drinkers, had a new 12 Ultra Classic that was a lemon, nothing but problems with that bike and HD refused to fix the biggest one, an engine that sounded like a diesel! So what did I do? I traded it for a 13 CVO, really took it in the shorts! At the time though I looked at Indian, didn't like the look. I test drove a Victory and it was not comfy and the wife didn't like it. Just could not buy a Honda!  I was so desperate to get away from that 12 that I traded for another HD.

Bought a 16 CVO because my 08 Ultra broke down on me 300 miles from home. I cannot complain about the 08, that was the first mechanical issue it had in 8 years and 50,000 miles.

Now though I am selling my 13 CVO because well I bought a convertible and don't want or need 2 bikes and a convertible!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 22 queries.