Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Gauge condensation  (Read 8223 times)

Snakepit

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Gauge condensation
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »

2015 CVO limited. Anybody else getting moisture in their gauges? Both my speedo and tach are affected.
1973 Norton Commando
2015 CVO Limited

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Gauge condensation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »

Common known issue/problem. Did a search on "condensation" and came back w/116 pages of hits w/three of those hits on the first page being...

Fogging Gauges

Condensation

Rainforest in my Tach

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »

I haven't had that issue.  But i haven't gotten caught in the rain, kept the bike outside overnight etc.  So my bike has had a dry, garage environment.

I did have what looked like a oily substance on the inside of the glass of the speedo gauge, and that was changed under warranty.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »

I haven't had that issue.  But i haven't gotten caught in the rain, kept the bike outside overnight etc.  So my bike has had a dry, garage environment.

I did have what looked like a oily substance on the inside of the glass of the speedo gauge, and that was changed under warranty.
It has been my experience it can occur if you take your bike from a cool dry (inside) outside to a high humid environment. The change in temps/humidity can cause it to happen... in all (my) cases it soon disappears.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 07:08:17 AM »

Snakepit my 2016 is having both gauges replaced under warranty due to delaminating of the high quality off shore plastic lenses (LOL).  It gives the same appearance as water condensation on the inside of the lenses.  This is another issue there is substantial comments on this form.

Snakepit

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 08:21:41 AM »

Snakepit my 2016 is having both gauges replaced under warranty due to delaminating of the high quality off shore plastic lenses (LOL).  It gives the same appearance as water condensation on the inside of the lenses.  This is another issue there is substantial comments on this form.
interesting...I'll mention that as well at dealership
1973 Norton Commando
2015 CVO Limited

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »

When I was the proud owner of a 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide I had gauge condensation in the volt gauge only. Dealer insisted it was normal at which time I requested they replace the other gauges (no condensation) since they must have been defective. That finally got me my new volt gauge.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »

When I was the proud owner of a 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide I had gauge condensation in the volt gauge only. Dealer insisted it was normal at which time I requested they replace the other gauges (no condensation) since they must have been defective. That finally got me my new volt gauge.
:ROFLOL:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Gfs3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »

I have had this same problem with the '14 Limited and my '15 CVO Limited.  I had them replaced under warranty on the '14 and the new gauges did the same thing in less than 3,000 miles.  I wrote HD Customer Service a few weeks ago explaining the problem in detail.  Yesterday 9/9 I got a phone call from a Harley Rep. and they issued me a case number to provide to my Dealer when I get them replaced on my CVO.  The dealer should return the defective gauges to Harley for them to analyze and hopefully find a solution to the problem.  It will probably be a few weeks before I take it in to get them replaced as I have a trip coming up soon and will wait until I get back to get them replaced.  I did mention to the Rep. That I would like to know what they determine to be the problem and I emphasized to them that it isn't a moisture problem but a breakdown of possibly a coating on the inside of the glass or maybe oil or a lubricant used in the mechanism of the gauges.  I will post a follow up afterwards and let everybody know what HD determined to be the problem.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »

What did HD ever do about this?  I just noticed the condensation issue on the speedometer side of my 15 FLTRUSE.

Wondering if this has ever been addressed with a fix and/or updated part.   I''m concerned that moisture in the gauge will cause some long term issues.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »

What did HD ever do about this?  I just noticed the condensation issue on the speedometer side of my 15 FLTRUSE.

Wondering if this has ever been addressed with a fix and/or updated part.   I''m concerned that moisture in the gauge will cause some long term issues.

HD has considered this issue  each and every year for at least 30 years I'm aware.  Obviously each year they've decided that condensation and "internal  lens cleansing" must be a good thing; because the gauges just keep doing it.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »

My 2017 CVO Limited has some sort of "schmutz" on the inside glass of the both the speedometer and the tach (I just bought the bike in June and it now has about 4,000 miles).  More noticeable in direct sun.  Doesn't seem to get any better or worse, but it is enough that it bugs the hell out of me....looks like someone forgot to clean the glass before assembly.
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »

Warranty.  They replaced mine.  3 members of my riding group with 2017 Ultra's are same way and awaiting replacement under warranty but backordered.  Been ongoing issue for years.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 05:27:26 PM »

No kidding. I've had this happen on most Harley's I've owned at one point or another, lol!
HD has considered this issue  each and every year for at least 30 years I'm aware.  Obviously each year they've decided that condensation and "internal  lens cleansing" must be a good thing; because the gauges just keep doing it.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »

There is a valid reason for things like headlights, brake lights, and turn signals to not be sealed air tight, and it has to do with the large difference in working temperatures those parts experience due to the heat of the bulbs.  There is no such requirement for gauges, but Harley's gauges have never been sealed as far back as I can remember.  You have to realize that Harley probably pays less than ten bucks for the complete set of gauges, and you don't get sealed gauges for what they pay.  They've gotten away with blowing people off over this common customer complaint for decades, people keep accepting the BS and keep buying the product so obviously it's not a problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.