Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Retro Fit Scissor Gear Kit For 2016 and Prior Transmissions ?  (Read 11010 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"

Was just curious if anyone has heard of a Retro - Fit " Scissor Gear" kit  for the 2016 and  prior 6 speeds to take care of the neutral rattle like they did on the '17's.? 

Maybe we could   take a page  right out of  Ole Hubbard's book..Pull the top off ,  pour a can of STP in there and throw in a handful of sawdust , ride it like you stole it...maybe that will keep it quiet..Just kidding...damn that's annoying. Have a reasonably quiet 110.when the clutch is pulled in! Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

Re: Retro Fit Scissor Gear Kit For 2016 and Prior Transmissions ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »

Was just curious if anyone has heard of a Retro - Fit " Scissor Gear" kit  for the 2016 and  prior 6 speeds to take care of the neutral rattle like they did on the '17's.? 

Maybe we could   take a page  right out of  Ole Hubbard's book..Pull the top off ,  pour a can of STP in there and throw in a handful of sawdust , ride it like you stole it...maybe that will keep it quiet..Just kidding...damn that's annoying. Have a reasonably quiet 110.when the clutch is pulled in! Greg

Found out the  '17 Scissor Gear that supposedly quiets the rattle is   is $59.00 . It's listed as first gear. What I don't know is will it just drop in or?  Thinking about a  little winter garage therapy...just for the hell of it

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:58:58 PM »

Interested to know keep us posted.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:15:45 AM »

Interested to know keep us posted.

Will do ..I was chatting with a sharp lady at Jim's yesterday about the rattle  and their their trap door and she mentioned a shifter fork rattle  also because the clearances on the shifter shafts may be loose. She mentioned that because when you buy the  Jim's trap  door ( $275),it comes with new shafts. Interesting, when they do a build they use HD forks and their ( Jim's )shifter shafts.   

She also mentioned that when you have the gear set out you can manually shake the shifter forks with your hand see if it might  be that ,along with the gear slack in the 1st gear pair.   Worth a shot for $350 to so.   

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 10:49:21 PM »

Went to HD today and ordered the gear. Part # 35600103 $59.76 .   Was chatting with my tech about this idea , told him what I wanted to do and he doesn't see  why it won't work. Said just stay with the stock trap door for now rather than spend another $300 or so on a trap door.

I'll just pull the gear set ,change 1st  gear on the  counter shaft only along  new trap door bearings and see if that quiets it down. Think I can do that for around $100 in parts  and we'll see what we can see! It's worth it to me to quiet it down.     
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 10:54:23 PM by Texas 103 »

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 06:32:08 AM »

Went to HD today and ordered the gear. Part # 35600103 $59.76 .   Was chatting with my tech about this idea , told him what I wanted to do and he doesn't see  why it won't work. Said just stay with the stock trap door for now rather than spend another $300 or so on a trap door.

I'll just pull the gear set ,change 1st  gear on the  counter shaft only along  new trap door bearings and see if that quiets it down. Think I can do that for around $100 in parts  and we'll see what we can see! It's worth it to me to quiet it down.   

Anyone know if Texas 103 had any luck with this fix? Might be nice if I could suggest a fix when I am confronted with a HD Tech down the road.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »

Anyone know if Texas 103 had any luck with this fix? Might be nice if I could suggest a fix when I am confronted with a HD Tech down the road.

YOur timing is pretty good!. Just got the gear this morning, Fixin to start on it..I will make a post with pics and comments

Picked up gear this morning..very interesting! ..Had a chat with my HD tech showed him the gear. THE scissor part is spring loaded and designed to take up the slack between the low gear pair. Told me there was quite a bit, may be totally wrong here..but I'm thinking the reason we have this rattle now is maybe HD changed gear vendors ??  Below are three pics showing  the gear and the indexing dots I call them,

It is definally  spring loaded and can see why it should take up the excess lash between low gear pairs. Not sure how to install yet, but my tech at HD will as he has the  '17 manual.   

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:56:43 PM by Texas 103 »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 01:00:09 PM »

YOur timing is pretty good!. Just got the gear this morning, Fixin to start on it..I will make a post with pics and comments

Picked up gear this morning..very interesting! ..Had a chat with my HD tech showed him the gear. THE scissor part is spring loaded and designed to take up the slack between the low gear pair. Told me there was quite a bit, may be totally wrong here..but I'm thinking the reason we have this rattle now is maybe HD changed gear vendors ??  Below are three pics showing  the gear and the indexing dots I call them,

It is definally  spring loaded and can see why it should take up the excess lash between low gear pairs. Not sure how to install yet, but my tech at HD will as he has the  '17 manual.   

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »

Your timing is pretty good!. Just got the gear this morning, Fixin to start on it.. Bike only has 5000 miles on it but while I have it down, we are going to install new trap door bearings and new primary bearing. Probably not a damn thing wrong with either but a small price to pay for peace of mind.   

Picked up gear this morning..very interesting! ..Had a chat with my HD tech showed him the gear, he's thinking it will fix it. . The scissor part is spring loaded and designed to take up the slack between the low gear pair. Told me there was quite a bit, may be totally wrong here..but I'm thinking the reason we have this rattle now and never had it in anything else is maybe HD changed gear vendors or something ??

Below are three pics showing  the gear and the indexing dots I call them. Guessing it will have to be installed with them aligned and a load on it to take up the lash.. If anyone had a '17 Service manual in PDF , I'd love to take a look to see what's up   

It is definitely  spring loaded and I  can see why it should take up the excess lash between low gear pairs. Not sure how to install yet, but my tech at HD will as he will do the bearings and the gear install. then I'll post it up here. 

Was going install  the Baker Smooth Shift Kit along with the gear. I  called Bert Baker yesterday had a great discussion with him.. what a straight up guy!. Told him what issue was the friggin neutral rattle and asked him if  the smooth shift  kit would help with the rattle and  he said no because it's a gear lash problem. but it will make it shift like a dream.

He's like most all of us, not sure why the problem  shows up here and there. When I told him what I was going to do and that I had the '17 gear. He thought that would take care of it. Funny why if there isn't a problem and everything is all good...Why did they come out with the scissor gear in '17??   

Stay tuned!. going to get busy tomorrow , have to order a IPB puller. Just what I wanted for Christmas.. Hope I am not boring you all to tears, but if this works .we'll have a cure for around $100 or so.! If not damn it was fun!! Stay tuned               

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:27:42 PM by Texas 103 »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 09:40:10 AM »

I was under the impression sometime a few years ago, maybe '11 or '12, that HD went to helical cut gears on 1st and 5th.  I think Baker has full helical cut gears, just wondering is all.

Good luck with your updates.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 10:29:30 AM »

staying tuned in, very interested in the out come. can you post part number? thnx FF
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 01:48:12 PM »

staying tuned in, very interested in the out come. can you post part number? thnx FF

Here ya go Freddy Part # 35600103 $59.76   Gotta like the price!. HD figures out what we are doing...could change...lol

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »

I was under the impression sometime a few years ago, maybe '11 or '12, that HD went to helical cut gears on 1st and 5th.  I think Baker has full helical cut gears, just wondering is all.

Good luck with your updates.

Think that was in '10 Dan after everybody bitched about the 5th gear whine. Then they went from a straight cut 5th gear  to helical. Think low never changed . Had my HD parts guy print out a parts overview with numbers and I  started comparing,the only thing I found was the new "scissor gear" for low gear.     Also you can look at a gear set , pre '10 and post '10  start for the left and count over 5. The last gear is the final drive gear.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:14:46 AM by Texas 103 »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »

Starting on it today, Have the puller coming for the IPB, should be here WEd or so.  Hoping I will have it out by nezt Friday . On my way to pick up a dial indicator now to see how much lash is in a "stock" gear set and the scissor when I get it out of there. . Betting it will be a hell of a lot!!..  My HD tech has been great help..

Harry ( Unbalanced) and I were talking yesterday and he made a comment about the 255 cam. Since it's so short of an intake close it builds a lot of cyl pressure at idle and the pluses of the motor are greater. Thinking with a 24-D or another cam with a later intake  close and less cylinder pressure at idle  it might quiet down ?? Don;t know on that? Just a thought.   

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRU 111,000 miles
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »

Starting on it today, Have the puller coming for the IPB, should be here WEd or so.  Hoping I will have it out by nezt Friday . On my way to pick up a dial indicator now to see how much lash is in a "stock" gear set and the scissor when I get it out of there. . Betting it will be a hell of a lot!!..  My HD tech has been great help..

Harry ( Unbalanced) and I were talking yesterday and he made a comment about the 255 cam. Since it's so short of an intake close it builds a lot of cyl pressure at idle and the pluses of the motor are greater. Thinking with a 24-D or another cam with a later intake  close and less cylinder pressure at idle  it might quiet down ?? Don;t know on that? Just a thought.

Well how did it go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.