Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO SE 585 Dyno test! Bad exhaust Bad tune VS Good exhaust Good tune  (Read 2869 times)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance

Had a Gentleman named Paul Hope out of South Dakota contact me recently about working on his 2012 CVO Street Glide. He says his bike is getting 25 MPG and its too slow and too loud to ride for any distance. I ask for the build details and it goes like this.

2012 CVO Street Glide
V+H Duals, Hi Output mufflers,
10.5 pistons, 585 SE cam, SE tuner.
All dealer installed and tuned.

I tell Paul its not hopeless, (no pun intended) and recommended a DX Pipe, 1.75 baffles in the stock CVO mufflers and a TTS Tuner. After riding for 10,000 with the current combo, Paul is ready to try anything. The man shows up with one of the cleanest CVO SGs I have ever seen in a bitchin pop top trailer. We unload and go straight into the dyno room for baseline runs. It was one of the worse tunes I have ever seen. So bad that it only made stock power! I send the V+H stuff to the landfill, install the DX and 1.75 baffled stock mufflers. Back into the dyno room for a proper tune with TTS.  Never been a fan of the 585s, but the DX 1.75 combo with the 585 cams made good TQ across the whole powerband. Huge gains on the bottom and top picking up about 18 FT pounds at 2200, right were you need it. DB reduction was huge as well. I have a new respect for the 585 cams. With the right exhaust and a good tune they actually work very well.

Special Thanks to Paul Hope for riding with a Fullsac! It was a pleasure having you in my shop for the day.  :2vrolijk_21:

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:36:16 AM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: CVO SE 585 Dyno test! Bad exhaust Bad tune VS Good exhaust Good tune
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »

Steve doesn't need my props....his work speaks for itself and that's why I ride with Fullsac.

But the point I want to make......if you're new on a CVO and wondering what way to go....if you read these forums the large majority ride with Fullsac and the 1.75 (while Steve says it's the quiet baffles) is still plenty loud enough.  But even if you go with Fullsac, don't waste your money at a dealership that makes money just selling you stuff.  Go to Fullsac in Ariz. or go to somebody that makes their living tuning bikes.  If you go to a real tuner, you're going to get what you're paying for.

Mr. Hope will not get any of his money back from that dealership and once again another member of this forum has learned the hard way that dealerships will tell you anything they think you want to hear but they still can't deliver.....simply due to inexperience.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Lprez

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »

Glad to see that Mr. Hope got such good results with the SE 585 cams and the Fullsac Midas Touch!  Here's a dyno sheet for my bike with the same cam, Fullsac DX exhaust and 2.0" cores and the TTS tuner with tune by Joe Lyons @ Performance Cycle & Dyno (Belton, MO).  Extremely happy with the bike's performance and I'd highly recommend this setup.

Lprez

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:38 AM »

Glad to see that Mr. Hope got such good results with the SE 585 cams and the Fullsac Midas Touch!  Here's a dyno sheet for my bike with the same cam, Fullsac DX exhaust and 2.0" cores and the TTS tuner with tune by Joe Lyons @ Performance Cycle & Dyno (Belton, MO).  Extremely happy with the bike's performance and I'd highly recommend this setup.

Lprez

Nice! What else is done to this one?

SG

Lprez

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:48:09 AM »

Joe changed out the lifters to S&S during the cam change, but that was it--no headwork, no compression increase.  Had the transmission sprocket replaced with a 31T version to give it better low end response.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »

Joe changed out the lifters to S&S during the cam change, but that was it--no headwork, no compression increase.  Had the transmission sprocket replaced with a 31T version to give it better low end response.

Stock heads and TB, wow! Good job. I maybe could have squeezed a few more out of this one,
but with 50K on the original bottom end I was being as gentle as possible.

SG
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:11:48 AM by Fullsac Performance »

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »

Nice work! The torque curve on the 585s is great!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 08:44:15 PM »

Nice work! The torque curve on the 585s is great!

Using that cam in my 117 build ,along with a little compression bump with 92 CC heads, zero decked,.030 Cometic , AV&V's, and a 2.120 intake valve.. , Hopefully if Eric @ AMS  has me covered on parts, we'll go back together Fri.  Break in and tune Sun. 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.