Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: whats your bike worth  (Read 11161 times)

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
Re: whats your bike worth
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 03:19:41 AM »

Well the used HD market here in Western Australia is "forked" to the Max !

2013 CVO Breakout here was $44K Aussie dollars new ( $32634 USD at today's exchange rate)

An acquaintance of mine here has just bought a used one privately , exact same colour (colour !) as mine , with 4,000 K's ( 2,400 miles)

( I have 18,000 K's on mine ,or 11,000 miles !)

He paid $25,000 Aussie dollars ( 18,400 dollars USD !)

Guess what mine is worth ??
No illegitimi carborundum

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »

Talked to a dealer the other day about this exact same thing and he mentioned that Harley corp boys have been discussing this in depth as of late.  Basically they flooded the market with way too many CVO's each year so its no longer a special bike by any means.  The old math of adding up all the extras you  get with one and thus saving money doesn't really make a difference.  Supposedly there discussing cutting back production and reducing models in the CVO group this remains to be seen.  Since there publicly traded I'll believe it when I see it.....

J.D.

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »

"Limited Edition" means to H-D "limited to the number we can build and sell".  Every model is a limited edition LOL.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 12:35:38 PM »

There is no new $40,000 recreational vehicle out there that you wouldn't take a major bath on 8 years later-period. Have to go in "eyes wide open" and spend that money strictly because you want it and will enjoy it in spite of the lousy investment it is.
Jus sayin

Thanks for your input.  Did you read my post?
This is the biggest loser of all my previous recreational vehicles.
"You only live once.  Didn't buy it as an investment"
just saying

Realistically these are $50k+++recreational vehicles...tuners, exhaust, air cleaners, dyno time...
I know I had way more than that in mine. 
Again!! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!

Also my bike was bought by a good dude who is riding the he11 out of it...so all is good!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:12:20 PM by guppytrash »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »

I have learned over the years that whether you are talking bikes, boats, cars etc. it is truly a supply and demand market.
My first Harley was a 1997 Fatboy with the custom paint kit for that year and it held it's value for several years until the Twin Cam motor teething issues were worked out then once customer confidence was established no one wanted an "old EVO" motor they wanted the new improved Twin Cam Harley with a warranty etc.
Then CVOs took off with marketing PR with things like built on a hand assembly line in a separate building not on some automated assembly line like stock bikes. You could do the math and buying a CVO made sense if you were a rider who would add all the flash and chrome anyway to your bike. CVOs were limited to two models a year so it wasn't flooding the market as well.
Now that CVOs are assembled on the regular assembly line and are basically an option package I don't know how the value can be justified at time of sale? It definitely proves that out at trade in time.
When I was growing up we were concerned with power,speed and handling of our vehicles now it seems the new owners want all the latest electronic bells and whistles and sales can be affected good or bad if your vehicle has or doesn't have the latest set of bells and whistles.
I have to admit before I joined this website many years ago I wasn't aware of people buying CVOs and trading them every few years to get the latest one. I thought CVOs were the pinnacle of bike ownership and I had to save to get my "dream bike" and would keep it for a long time. Who knew there was such disposable income in the country to start a collection or buy and sell CVOs all the time?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »

Good perspective.  When I got my '04 SEEG I thought it could very well be the last bike I bought.  I could not believe I had such a nice motorcycle every time I got on it.  Absolutely loved everything about that bike.  A few years later I got the itch for a 2000 SERG.  Found a nice one-owner trade in 2007 and bought it.  Then could not live without a blue flame FXR3.  Had the CVO bug, and had it bad.

Those early years, probably through '06 or so, with the CVO Fat Boys and V-Rods were probably the pinnacle of the CVO line, at least to me.  Since then, all the over-production, fewer CVO-specific vs. regular catalog parts and iffy paint combos have changed what Custom Vehicle Operations stood for, again, IMO.

Didn't make one red cent on the SEEG or the FXR3 (should've kept that one, dammit) and certainly won't on the SERG or the SEUC whenever the time comes to let them go.  But I've had more than my fair share of fun since the fall of 2003 when that SEEG arrived on its pallet at the dealer.  And, better yet, through my involvement on this site, I have made lifelong friends that I would've never met, otherwise. 

So, it's all good.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »

Whats your bike worth. This is a warning to all bikers thinking of upgrading to a CVO. They aren't worth anything. Mine is a 2014 ultra limited with 20000 miles. Trade in value is 22000 and thats from Harley. So I have lost 20000 grand in just 3 years. Harley always bregged about resale value. I was talking to a dealer in Seattle Wa. and he the #1 worst value on trade in right now is a harley CVO.

I just traded away the same bike and they gave me $23K. They sold it for 24.5K.

Even worse I bought my wider an 2015 SGS all decked out to the max with custom paint and all the add ons straight off the floor for 36K. We gave it away for 19K. I had a Harley dealer tell me two years ago not to buy an Indian motorcycle because they would not hold their value. Ha Ha! Neither will HD. No current production motorcycle will hold any real value, there are just to many bikes out there. They are almost be coming disposable after 60'000 miles.

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »

Was sorely disappointed with the "book" values of my 2006 ULtra CVO suppose I just keep it and ride it till I am out of hours. What do you think 2K you have ridden next to it?

"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

MC16LTD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited (FLHTKSE)
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »

I bought my 16 CVO Limited new for $36k via mil-sales while deployed.  I got the bike I wanted with all the goodies I wanted.  If I had bought a "standard" Ultra Limited of the same year I would have spent more to add all the goodies and it would be worth less than my CVO.  At least with a CVO all the add-ons are included in the resale value, not so for buying a standard bike and adding to it.  In the long run I will ride it till dead then rebuild to ride more.  I never purchase toys for their resale value.
2016 CVO Limited Palladium Silver & Phantom Blu, Fullsac DX w/2" Power Cores and Sleeves, SERT, Wild1's 10" mini-apes, HogTrough drink holder for those hot or cold days.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2017, 11:24:19 AM »

I sold my 2015 FLTRUSE on eBay for $29.5k last fall. It had 15k miles on it.
My local dealer was selling brand new 2016 FLTRUSE at $6k discounts from MSRP.
One of the selling points was that I had a 2+5 extended warranty to transfer in the deal.

I think I made out best as could be expected. My bike moved while other 2015's sat on eBay with $32k ask prices on them.

DH

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »

The last three CVOs I have bought have all been used mostly with very low miles, basically paid NADA value for them.   

When getting the first one I could either buy a new Ultra or a two year old CVO Ultra with 11,000 miles for the same price.  Either one I would need to tune the suspension to my tastes and the used CVO already had a SERC.  Was an easy decision.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »

Probably worth more to me than anyone else... LMFAO

I don't trade much,,, 'tend to keep my HDs for a while,,, In over 40 Years with Harleys, the current 3 in the Stable are my 4th, 5th, & 6th ones...

Selling my first 2 Harleys, I made a profit,,, "Ran the '76 Sportster >15 Years got $500. more than I paid for it... The Red '81 FXWG (owned for 17 years) was a decent lick,,, got 3x more than I paid for it... The '02 RK I traded paper for the '01 FXDWG2,,, Purchased the '05 & '09 "pre-owned"('05 & '12) from individuals ...

One things for sure,,, the "Bottom is Out" of the pre-owned Harley Market,,, A good time to buy...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

dp

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »

With about 45k miles on mine, not sure my dealer would even take it in trade at all. If HD comes out with a 2018 CVO custom in a decent color I will find out.
2013 CVO Roadglide

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 08:24:05 AM »

With about 45k miles on mine, not sure my dealer would even take it in trade at all. If HD comes out with a 2018 CVO custom in a decent color I will find out.

My 09 CVO Road Glide had 47K on it when I traded for the 12 CVO Road Glide, got 6 K less than I paid for it in trade.  The 12 CVO Road glide was traded with 46K on it, and I got 5K less than I paid for it.  The 15 CVO Road glide ultra was traded with 44K on it, and I got 10K less than I paid for it.  I was ok with the trade value on the first two, the 15 Hurt and I was not happy but that was the market.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

rsike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »

Never buy a depreciating asset with the hopes of recovering your money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.