Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Competition? Yamaha unwraps super cruiser Venture motorcycle  (Read 7699 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
New M8 competitor loop as
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 07:22:50 AM »

What do you folks think of the new 2018 Yamaha Venture? Google to check out details. Lotta features for the buck. It's my understanding that Yamaha builds great motors.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: New M8 competitor loop as
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 09:00:45 AM »

What do you folks think of the new 2018 Yamaha Venture? Google to check out details. Lotta features for the buck. It's my understanding that Yamaha builds great motors.

I like it, and yes Yamaha makes a damn dependable bike. It's a solid option for someone who wants a comfortable, dependable and well designed touring bike, and is NOT tied to a specific brand, model and package.

I'm sure it will have it's quirks, but nothing like compensators, lifters, bearings, gaskets, crank run out, scissoring cranks, water pumps, clutch failures, stators, voltage regulators, tire cupping, and other stuff many have experienced with regularity.

Can't wait to ride one.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Competition? Yamaha unwraps super cruiser Venture motorcycle
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 09:46:22 AM »

Coming from a close to 30 year Harley owner, including 12 new HD's.

I really like this new Yamaha and like that it's powered by a V-TWIN. To me, Yamaha did it right.

Develop a totally new bike rather than upgrading one major component at a time. My loyalty was to Harley, now it's to myself.

I bought the marketing line from Harley in 07 and 14. Both claimed to be major upgrades. The Rushmore's were the greatest upgrade in Harley's history. 4 years later the M8 is introduced with a whole new cooling system. The value of 14 through 16 model drop like a rock. I suspect the same thing will happen when a new frame is introduced. Could go on and on.

The new Yamaha is the total package. Even looks good. I predict it will be a winner.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:10 AM »

Interesting. Rode Yamaha in the 70s and 80s.  Good bikes.  This one looks better than most of the HD wannabes, for me better than Indian.  Yamaha price point is good, wonder what they will discount these to? 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 10:34:12 AM »

Broke my dirt bike cherry on 1972 yamaha 80 endure, later 125,250,360...

I have to admit, this catches my eye, tho i have to be honest, i will most likely not buy one.

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 10:54:01 AM »

Broke my dirt bike cherry on 1972 yamaha 80 endure, later 125,250,360...

I have to admit, this catches my eye, tho i have to be honest, i will most likely not buy one.

Marty

Clank clank clank clank. Whats that? Oh its Marty!  :'(

Come on, that Yamaha looks pretty good. ;D

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

msquad

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »

Gonna have to go look at these.  May get rid of my 110 ticking time bomb to get something reliable.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 04:42:24 AM »

Pretty nice looking effort by Yamaha, but I have to agree with others, why oh why would they use an air cooled motor?
I know there are still hold outs, but for me air cooled motors timed out when fuel injection entered the scene. 
Seems as out of date as a rigid frame chopper and bell bottomed jeans.  I know, I know, I liked those things too! 
But that was when I was a kid living in an old farm house with no air conditioning.
I like air conditioning...wait... was I talking about?  Damn I'm getting old!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »

This does look nice but I would also like to learn more about the new BMW.  It is their six cylinder water cooled engine with 160 HP and reverse.  I do like the look and feel of the HD much more but they are very expensive.  I do worry about all the issues around lifters etc. I haven't had any issues yet but I feel like I have to go and replace items because they will fail early. That is frustrating.   

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »

My thought is you either want a bike, so you get something like this, or you want a Harley.  We all know if we were shopping for the best bang for our buck we wouldn't be looking at the HD dealerships.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »

That is very true!  I was riding yesterday and just love the ride and sound the HDs provide.  I also like the look which is one reason I never liked the Victory.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »

Very interesting.  Lots of lighting on the fixed fairing, both of which are a plus.  I will want to see one in person.  Wonder if the tour pack can be removed?

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »

Personally I don't get it! I am sure it is a wonderful motorcycle. Yamaha makes very good products. However, these bikes just get more automotive all the time. If this is what you want Honda has the ultimate evolution in The Gold Wing. Amazing engine, great protection, smooth, reliable, almost flawless. But int he end it is a Hondabago. It has no soul. It is like riding a sewing machine. It is a Camry, just no fun.

The very reason I ride a bike is the way it makes me feel. I love the vibration of my 14 RK CVO. I love the raw feeling and yes the Harley personality that makes it fun. I love the way I see the ENTIRE engine, not just small glimpses of the motor shrouded in body work, why nit just get a ST1300.

Of course each to his own. But for me I want to know I am on a motorcycle not sitting in a living room recliner. I will stick to my HD, Triumph Bobber, and yes even my Vespa 300 GTS, all fun, all look like they are what they are, and all have their own personality.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »

Pretty nice looking effort by Yamaha, but I have to agree with others, why oh why would they use an air cooled motor?
I know there are still hold outs, but for me air cooled motors timed out when fuel injection entered the scene. 
Seems as out of date as a rigid frame chopper and bell bottomed jeans.  I know, I know, I liked those things too! 
But that was when I was a kid living in an old farm house with no air conditioning.
I like air conditioning...wait... was I talking about?  Damn I'm getting old!

I bought the very first 2014 Water cooled Limited I could get my hands on. Oh Boy! The only thing it did better than the air cooled Harley was sit in traffic with out burning up. I sold it with 1200 miles on it. I now have a 2017 air cooled M8 and have no plans of owning another water cooled one unless something changes and the water cooled ones get miraculously better. For me it was just more complexity and weight. Different story for a stop and go city rider. Air cooled Yamaha wouldn't concern me.

Steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »

Personally I don't get it! I am sure it is a wonderful motorcycle. Yamaha makes very good products. However, these bikes just get more automotive all the time. If this is what you want Honda has the ultimate evolution in The Gold Wing. Amazing engine, great protection, smooth, reliable, almost flawless. But int he end it is a Hondabago. It has no soul. It is like riding a sewing machine. It is a Camry, just no fun.

The very reason I ride a bike is the way it makes me feel. I love the vibration of my 14 RK CVO. I love the raw feeling and yes the Harley personality that makes it fun. I love the way I see the ENTIRE engine, not just small glimpses of the motor shrouded in body work, why nit just get a ST1300.

Of course each to his own. But for me I want to know I am on a motorcycle not sitting in a living room recliner. I will stick to my HD, Triumph Bobber, and yes even my Vespa 300 GTS, all fun, all look like they are what they are, and all have their own personality.

Could not have said it better!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.