Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Competition? Yamaha unwraps super cruiser Venture motorcycle  (Read 7681 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Re: Competition? Yamaha unwraps super cruiser Venture motorcycle
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 11:16:46 AM »

I agree, why air cooled?  How many choices of aftermarket pipes would you think owners will have for this bike even after one year in production?  2-3 maybe? 
Maybe they are introducing it air-cooled to see how the biking public reacts to it and to work out any "first year" kinks, and then they have plans to go to some version of water cooling afterward? 
I wonder if all the chrome pieces are plastic?  That would be too cheesy for me.  Still, it's a 113ci, looks like it has some sort of rammed air config in the lowers, no stock passenger armrests, a visible handlebar clamp (yuck!), maybe a little too much chrome on the rear lights, and FOUR headlights PLUS running lights (YES!!).
Still, I see competition as a very good thing.  BTW, the Indian dealer in Rogers AR told me everyone thinks the leather bags with no locks was a huge mistake for Indian and feels they will correct it next year.  I have to admit, I looked closely at the Indians back in May '16 and then again this June.  They seemed much nicer this year, and they offer much more power options on them now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:23:58 AM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »

What makes the new Yamaha special are the functional standard features. I would take big functional features over cosmetic anytime.

Features like the new frame and suspension that provide a smoother ride with better handling. The 113 inch motor with Yamaha durability. The adjustable windshield. Heated seats with heated backrest, heated grips. Adjustable handlebars. The electric reverse. High output electrical system, on and on.....plus five years of warranty coverage. In the past metric bikes lacked a style I could live with. In my opinion Yamaha did it this time.

Don't get me wrong, still like Harleys. Have been riding them for close to 30 years. Guess I know to much about there down sides. This Yamaha is real competition in my opinion.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »

I bought the very first 2014 Water cooled Limited I could get my hands on. Oh Boy! The only thing it did better than the air cooled Harley was sit in traffic with out burning up. I sold it with 1200 miles on it. I now have a 2017 air cooled M8 and have no plans of owning another water cooled one unless something changes and the water cooled ones get miraculously better. For me it was just more complexity and weight. Different story for a stop and go city rider. Air cooled Yamaha wouldn't concern me.

Steve@fullsac.com

Not burning up is kind of a huge thing!
Ultimately we all end up in traffic at some point.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:46:29 PM by guppytrash »

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »

:cherry:
"The electric reverse. "

::) That is an attention getter right there.  Have not read the write-ups and details about this new sled,  but I would imagine the overall weight has to be up there in Harleys range at 850 plus, plus.

My SE Ultra was close to 900 pounds without me even on it.  In my opinion,  way too much weight with a high center of gravity (Tour pack, amp booster, etc.) to be reasonably managable in parking lots or situations where you may need to (back up that pig).  A "reverse" gear of some kind should indeed be "standard equipment" on a bike as heavy as some of them are now. :drink:

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 12:13:13 AM »

This video on the Yammy was interesting...

Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »

Not burning up is kind of a huge thing!
Ultimately we all end up in traffic at some point.

With out a doubt, an air cooled motor with no air is always bad. I wonder what the reviews will say? The Harleys got ripped on by the "all" motorcycle magazines for excessive heat. It will interesting to see how comfy this air cooled twin is on a hot day compared to the HD.

Steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

ultrarider123

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »

:cherry:
"The electric reverse. "

::) That is an attention getter right there.  Have not read the write-ups and details about this new sled,  but I would imagine the overall weight has to be up there in Harleys range at 850 plus, plus.

My SE Ultra was close to 900 pounds without me even on it.  In my opinion,  way too much weight with a high center of gravity (Tour pack, amp booster, etc.) to be reasonably managable in parking lots or situations where you may need to (back up that pig).  A "reverse" gear of some kind should indeed be "standard equipment" on a bike as heavy as some of them are now. :drink:

According to the video Harry posted above, the Yammy weighs in at 957 lbs. so the electric reverse and park assist will definitely come in handy.

Those are some fairly large wind wings on both sides of the faring.  I'll have to see it in person but per the pictures/video they look huge....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:17:10 AM by Haird »

RayK

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 07:42:44 AM »

Yamaha states that the cylinders are ceramic coated to dicipate heat eliminating the need for a complex liquid cooling system.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 07:56:32 AM »

:-\

" park assist ".................... :nixweiss:

ultrarider123

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »

:-\

" park assist ".................... :nixweiss:

Yea, I know...Yammahatchies description, not mine.  I'm guessing since you can use the electric motor in slow reverse as well as slow forwards, this can "assist" you with "parking" the 957 pounds... ;D

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »

Yea, I know...Yammahatchies description, not mine.  I'm guessing since you can use the electric motor in slow reverse as well as slow forwards, this can "assist" you with "parking" the 957 pounds... ;D

Nice feature that Goldwings have had for ever. I watched a 2017 Harley Trike back up with a push button recently. He might have gone forward too? This would be very beneficial to Harley's two wheeler to the same owner for the same reasons he's on a Trike. If Harley wants to fend off the up and comers, simple features like this, an electric windshield, ect would help keep them in the game.

Steve@fullsac.com

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »

Nice feature that Goldwings have had for ever. I watched a 2017 Harley Trike back up with a push button recently. He might have gone forward too? This would be very beneficial to Harley's two wheeler to the same owner for the same reasons he's on a Trike. If Harley wants to fend off the up and comers, simple features like this, an electric windshield, ect would help keep them in the game.

Steve@fullsac.com

Electric windshield?  Like rolls up and down? Or heads up display? Or something completely different?

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »

Electric windshield?  Like rolls up and down? Or heads up display? Or something completely different?

Adjustable windshield via electric motor. The Yamaha has it. My R12 Beemer had one too. Amazing difference in buffeting.

Steve@fullsac.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.