Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shark vs Batwing Headlight at Night  (Read 2903 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Shark vs Batwing Headlight at Night
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »

I am tossing between the Shark Nose and Batwing Fairings. Stock vs Custom. What's my best option to install on a 98 Road King?
A question arose about when running at night on the Batwing the headlight shines where the handlebars are pointed but the Shark Nose shines the direction of the Frame.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

Re: Shark vs Batwing Headlight at Night
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »

I am tossing between the Shark Nose and Batwing Fairings. Stock vs Custom. What's my best option to install on a 98 Road King?
A question arose about when running at night on the Batwing the headlight shines where the handlebars are pointed but the Shark Nose shines the direction of the Frame.

With regards to how they point, you'll get used to the fixed Road Glide lights very quickly. They only time you'll even notice a difference is riding switchbacks. I've ridden both setups and the RG lights having the two you definitely see better at night and the Daymaker setup does make a difference at night they're a lot brighter.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »

Search in YouTube. Motorcyclist.com did an actual comparison.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:53:51 PM »

Keep in mind when your motorcycle goes faster than 12 to 14 mph you're no longer steering through a turn,so headlights essentially point ahead through turns. Some may argue countersteer throws the headlight beam to the outside, but the degree of angle is negligible. There may be differences of one headlight versus two but that has nothing to do with fixed fairing versus movable fairing.
As a separate point the best headlamp I ever had was on my 2015 road glide when I switched to a DayMaker. It lit up the road like a NFL football stadium at night.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »

One headlight vs two, Well two will always have more light but distance or throw of the light will remain the same forward but side and fill light will increase. But the fixed lights of a RG vs the EG's while moving has no relevance. You do not turn the handlebars at speed, you lean either bike. The RG should have more close in actual "light" due to two headlamps but otherwise the same.
I will say the 09 SERG I had with the HD Daymaker headlamp had the best lights I have ever used on any kind of a highway vehicle that was legal. Amazing the fill and side lighting that was there.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 06:18:16 PM »

Check out the night riding part.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 06:27:04 PM »

Ok Thanks Guys. Now it's up to me.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »

Honestly, it doesn't matter ... they both suck if you enjoy riding aggressively through the twisties in the dark. I had an '11 shark for a few years and things are no different with my current bike. They are awesome going straight, but either bike will still give you blind spots through the turns unless you add extra lights.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 12:14:45 AM »

I have both a 12 Roadglide and a 17 Streetglide with Daymakers, Custom Dynamics turn signals, HD LED fogs and LED Aux lights on the SG. I live about 8 miles from a small town (Alpine CA which is about 20 miles east of San Diego) that is completely dark and twisty to my house. Both really do light up insanely well with probably giving the SG a advantage because I faced the aux lights facing out just a bit which helps in those dark twisties. I would not say it is that big of a difference and definitely not worth picking one over the other.
Alan

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 01:45:47 AM »

DayMakers in the'09 SERG :bananarock:

SoCal MotoGear HID Headlight / LED Passing Lamps in the '05 SEEG :cherry:

The '09 Shark is better cruising on Low Beam,,,

The '05 Bat is far superior on High Beam or switchbacks / turning into a driveway...

All the lights are properly adjusted :coolblue:

The Black DayMakers are pimp...

The SoCal Moto HID is the business...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:49:19 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »

My 12 SERG with the Daymakers had the best lighting.  My 15 SERGU with daymakers was almost as good.  HD changed the light some for the Rushmore road glides.  My 17 CVO Street glide and 13 CVO King shine as far as the above bikes, but not as wide.  I live 3 miles up a winding mountain road with no lights.  The road glides were much better in the dark.  I think if LED passing lamps were added to the street glide or the king they might be slightly better, but mine are single head light.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 10:22:51 PM »

Have the HD Daymaker on both my '15 SGS and now my '17 CVO. They are ok going straight, but in turns, I'm as blind as a bat.  The light beam is a flat horizontal beam. As soon as the bike is leaned, the low side is lighting the ground next to me, and the high side is looking for airplanes. I avoid riding at nights for this very . Reaimed the lights to the manuals instructions as from factory they were way off. My buddies have the cheap $35 ebay LED bulbs and they are 5x better than my Daymakers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 12:57:25 AM »

Only recently installed the LED Daymaker knockoff from an eBay seller in my old Road Glide.  It's a very good light.  Broad vertically and very wide beam too.  It does a great job as to both distance and width at night.  Have had it out on the twolanes at night three times now.  Can see very well.  No complaints at all.  No doubt something better somewhere.  It's the best light I've ever had on a motorcycle though.

pvanwagner

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »

Only recently installed the LED Daymaker knockoff from an eBay seller in my old Road Glide.  It's a very good light.  Broad vertically and very wide beam too.  It does a great job as to both distance and width at night.  Have had it out on the twolanes at night three times now.  Can see very well.  No complaints at all.  No doubt something better somewhere.  It's the best light I've ever had on a motorcycle though.

Have you tried their product on your Road King?  I had a Day Maker in my Slim and the CVO SG came with one and neither show the road when turning. 

What part number did you get for your RG?
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
2012 Softail Slim (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Apple Green / Vivid Black (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Psychedelic Purple / Vivid Black (Sold)
2005 Softail Deluxe (Sold)
2003 Softail Heritage (Sold)
2002 Sportster 1200 Custom (Sold)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »

I'm beginning to wonder if for you the answer is to get the one you like the looks/feel of the most, then add some high quality running lights into the equation.

This does two things...if you get enough candlepower like with Clearwater's, 1) you add tremendously to your night vision and 2) you add to your conspicuity, which is always a good thing.

Just my .02 worth!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.