Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Anyone Doing Their Own Tire Mounting and Balancing?  (Read 662 times)

ltank

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: Anyone Doing Their Own Tire Mounting and Balancing?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 08:43:36 PM »

I removed/replaced tires/ balanced on a stand for 6 rear tires and 3 front tires using hand tire tools and a balancing stand that has two disc on each side of the axle.  When I turned 60, I started removing the tires from bike and reinstall  but I let a shop change and balance them now. Front tire not so bad, rear tires suck.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »

Three tire irons is all that is needed. A bedbreaker is nice to especially since its difficult to use the side stand to break the bead on a HD.

But as I get older and lazier the next tirechange will probably be done at a dealer ship.

TN

• 1K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 07:10:34 AM »

Hard to imagine life without my no-mar tire machine. I use dyna beads for balancing

:bananarock:

TN
It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »

Harbor Freight tire changer, mojo blocks and bar, Yellow tire thing and Dyna beads. 
Works great.  Used it on the CVO a couple times and the BMW GSA with knobbies to street I have done the front and back a bunch of times.
A couple of friends Harleys. 
It is easy to do solo if you do it correct, pain in the rear if you try and muscle it. 
Keep the bead of the tire in the lowest portion of the rim and use some sort of tire lube!
Also helps to leave the tire in the sun, but not necessary.
Lots of videos on youtube to help.

2002FXDWG3

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »

Thanks for all of the replies.  I have the confidence to do my own tire changes now and am willing to struggle through it and figure it out, with keen attention to not damaging the wheels.  I think I have everything identified that I need except I haven't decided yet on the bead breaker.  I am very space constrained so I really cannot go with a proper tire changing machine or even a larger lever-style bead breaker.  What is the next best thing from a bead breaker perspective?  The Motion Pro combo tire levers / bead breaker?  The motion Pro plastic "wedge" tool that gets tapped in with a deadblow hammer?  The "claw" looking bead breakers that use either screw or lever force to sort of "pinch" the opposing beads together?  I will only be doing "standard" tires and not more modern low-profile and/or x-large diameter wheels.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.