Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time to fix a CVO limited  (Read 2392 times)

wglindsay

Time to fix a CVO limited
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »

2015 CVO Limited, 26k miles blew out a lifter adjuster. Three weeks later I was told today the extended warranty company approved the HD service department to order the last part.  Now this is after waiting the first 2 weeks for original parts to arrive then the service dept determined the crank case was cracked.  Maybe it is just my bad luck my bike is will be in shop for at least a month to get repaired.

My biggest issue with this is my last bike, 2009 CVO Limited, was determined to have an engine issue in Oct 2014.  As service dept went through headers, etc to fix it every failed step meant ordering the next component, I.e. another week.  Well in later Dec 2014 I decided to just buy a new bike, thus the 2015. Weeks later, the service department determined it was actually a transmission problem.

What am I to do?
2003 Road King Classic, Gun Metal Pearl
2009 CVO Ultra Classic, Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Time to fix a CVO limited
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »

2015 CVO Limited, 26k miles blew out a lifter adjuster.

This in itself is interesting as the valvetrain is not adjustable as they came from HD

wglindsay

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »

Maybe I miss understood the service tech, but some adjuster blew out cracking the crank case,  damaging cam shaft, and oil pump.
2003 Road King Classic, Gun Metal Pearl
2009 CVO Ultra Classic, Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »

Almost sounds like the lifter bore in the case cracked.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »

2015 CVO Limited, 26k miles blew out a lifter adjuster. Three weeks later I was told today the extended warranty company approved the HD service department to order the last part.  Now this is after waiting the first 2 weeks for original parts to arrive then the service dept determined the crank case was cracked.  Maybe it is just my bad luck my bike is will be in shop for at least a month to get repaired.

My biggest issue with this is my last bike, 2009 CVO Limited, was determined to have an engine issue in Oct 2014.  As service dept went through headers, etc to fix it every failed step meant ordering the next component, I.e. another week.  Well in later Dec 2014 I decided to just buy a new bike, thus the 2015. Weeks later, the service department determined it was actually a transmission problem.

What am I to do?

Start looking for a different Dealer...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »

What am I to do?

First, try to find a better dealership with capable and qualified service personnel.  Yes, I know it's difficult, and in some areas impossible, but you need to make the attempt.

Second, just in case you don't know this, ESP repairs do not have to be done by a Harley dealership.  Find an independent shop that is capable and qualified and works with ESP companies. 

Third, consider looking at products from companies known for quality and reliability; the one you've been dealing with isn't known for either.  Would you continue to buy the same brand of car or truck if you had major failures on two in a row at low mileage?

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 05:38:17 PM »

What am I to do?

My motor took about 40 days to replace and get back on the road, which for me is about a 1/4 of my riding season.  >:(

30 days is probably gonna be real close to how long it takes.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 09:17:48 PM »

What am I to do?
Start looking for a different Dealer...
Bingo
My motor took about 40 days to replace and get back on the road, which for me is about a 1/4 of my riding season.
That's bad, but at least it wasn't the entire riding season, like it is for some people.   :(
If you want peace, prepare for war.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »

Motor does not have a lifter adjustor, what really failed? Why would you go back after problems in the past?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »

Time for a Honda!

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:29:57 AM »

Time for a Honda!

How true!  I have both kinds, and have never had an issue with the GW.  I know it's getting old but
I can't see replacing it.  It's an 04 with 70k. Of coarse the CVO is old too,  and the new ones scare me
With all the known problems. I really have never had any real issues with the 06 CVO either because I've
CHANGED almost anything that can fail..

Taz
The "TAZMUN"

mark

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »

First, try to find a better dealership with capable and qualified service personnel.  Yes, I know it's difficult, and in some areas impossible, but you need to make the attempt.

Second, just in case you don't know this, ESP repairs do not have to be done by a Harley dealership.  Find an independent shop that is capable and qualified and works with ESP companies. 

Third, consider looking at products from companies known for quality and reliability; the one you've been dealing with isn't known for either.  Would you continue to buy the same brand of car or truck if you had major failures on two in a row at low mileage?

Jerry

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm over the "got to ride a Harley" thing, especially after the 110 debacle of an engine. 

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.