Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Cylinder Misfire after washing and in the rain  (Read 1345 times)

Cheb

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Rear Cylinder Misfire after washing and in the rain
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »

First forum post here.
2014 FXSBSE, 17k miles: Just got back from a long weekend road trip last week. While on the road got caught in a fairly heavy down pour and stopped for 30 minutes to wait it out. Went to get back on the bike and it was hard to start and ran like c&@p. After a few minutes of babying the girl it straightened up and no further issues. Then after I got home I took to cleaning the coating of insect hitchhikers. I sparingly used a soapy bucket and hose. Now my rear cylinder is misfiring and dead. It is dumping raw fuel out the pipe and the head stays cool, so I know it is not firing. Make me unsure of the reliability of the bike after a bit of water. Any ideas on where to start?
Thanks,
Cheb

(edit for spelling)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:40:02 PM by Cheb »

Cheb

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Re: Rear Cylinder Misfire after washing and in the rain
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:56:52 AM »

Update:
After letting the bike sit overnight, tried starting the next day. Still had a dead rear cylinder. I let it run for a while to warm up. It finally started to hit and eventually started running normal. There was a large amount of steam and boiling water released out of the left side. This bike is a wonder and a pain. :-\

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »

I've heard of this sort of thing happening if the coil housing is cracked.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »

Coils can give out at any time without warning. Get an ohm meter and measure each coil.  The two coils in one package should have about 3 ohms on each. I had one go out. It ran fine got home. Next day it hit only on the front cylinder. I checked the resistance on each one was 3.3 ohms  the other was open. I replaced it over 20k miles ago. No problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »

Look at the other thread about the open vacuum port at the induction module.  Once that missing cap was fixed, how is it starting and running now?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.