Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 1st actual road test of the new Venture  (Read 5173 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: 1st actual road test of the new Venture
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »

Three days to go 700 miles? What king of road test was that? Lol.........

Steve@fullsac.com

I agree.  The years my wife and I ride to Sturgis, we do 758 miles the first day.  This makes for an easy 580 mile second day.  She rides her own road glide.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »

Not with my Yamaha I had, so you are wrong. I had to pay for their improved part.. Isn't just HD. Hell, my Blue Ember gas grill had a defect, and I was made to pay for the new improved stainless version drip tray, granted I was 1-2 months out of the warranty, but they obviously had a defect with their chit metal.

Your bad experience may have had something to do with your charming demeanor and relevant conversation.  ;)

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »

I got to see and sit upon one of these in Sturgis.  It's a BIG bike....very wide feeling.  It had a inexpensive feel to the trunk and saddlebags (light weight plastic) but it sat well for me.  Fixed faring but the infotainment system didn't seem to be as far away as my '15 SERGU does.  Flat footed on it but whew, while it carries the 953 lbs well, it's still a heavy sucker.  Pictures do not do it justice and I did not get to hear it running.  Reminds me of some sort of 1950's Caddy-Pontiac-Chrysler from the rear...and she's got a large rear.  The operation of their electric reverse/forward controller is something every big bike should have....pretty ingenious.  Overall it's not a bad effort from my first impression.
There do need to be better color choices.  This color grey doesn't do this bike justice.
Pictures....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:51:26 AM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »

Another

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

one more

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 11:44:04 AM »

:-\

"It had a inexpensive feel to the trunk and saddlebags (light weight plastic) but it sat well for me.  Fixed faring but the infotainment system didn't seem to be as far away as my '15 SERGU does.  Flat footed on it but whew, while it carries the 953 lbs well, it's still a heavy sucker. "

:nixweiss: Good feedback,  but I'm puzzled by the (inexpensive feel and light weight plastic) commentary regarding the trunk and saddlebags..........Pushing the scales to 953 pounds,  I would want each and every part/item to be as light as possible and still provide the intended function........which I would presume the bags and trunk are able to do. :confused5:

ultrarider123

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »

Good feedback,  but I'm puzzled by the (inexpensive feel and light weight plastic) commentary regarding the trunk and saddlebags..........Pushing the scales to 953 pounds,  I would want each and every part/item to be as light as possible and still provide the intended function........which I would presume the bags and trunk are able to do. :confused5:

I'm not belittling the fact of the saddlebags being plastic but opening and closing the lid of the trunk, it had a flimsy feel to me.  As in most (I said most, not all) of the Asian touring bikes, everything that can be is plastic (fenders, "chrome" covers, bags, trunk, mirrors, etc.).  The MoCo, Indian, Honda use light weight materials to reduce the excess weight, too.  The Yamaha effort in this is the same concept but they had a cheap (for lack of a better word) feel to them....bag and trunk lid in particular.  Having experience with owning Yamaha's in the past, the product should fare well in everyday use, however.  Maybe that's a better way to word it but however it plays out, the Venture is a nice effort and should do well.

I wish I had the opportunity to hear it running and see the reverse/forward electric gear operate (just watched the video).  One thing I did forget:  the factory wind wings (two on each side) are large as the pictures show.  They do look like they will direct as much or little wind on or off the rider and passenger.  I was afraid they would look huge in person but actually ended up liking them.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 08:05:32 PM »

Thanks for the update. Looks like Yamaha did a great job. Appears to be a decent looking bike that you can tour and use as is. My guess is that the buyer will make this choice because they don't want to spend thousands after the sale. More interested in riding than show. No offense to HD owners ( I have owned 12 new Harley's over past 27 years ). Love seeing competition for Harley, when companies compete riders win.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »

It is a new Jap bike geared more toward the BMW type buyer, even looks a little like a BMW. And to say they don't have troubles with Jap/Euro bikes is just wrong. Go on the other forums and check it out yourself, our complaints seem minor compared to some of theres.
And unlike some, the look is important to me.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 01:36:59 AM »

It is a new Jap bike geared more toward the BMW type buyer, even looks a little like a BMW. And to say they don't have troubles with Jap/Euro bikes is just wrong. Go on the other forums and check it out yourself, our complaints seem minor compared to some of theres.
And unlike some, the look is important to me.
I have had 4 Harleys and 1 BMW. All the Harley issues combined don't come close (including and especially dealer service) to the BMW. Fastest they ver turned a warranty issue around was a week and that was rare. Tried 2 different dealers and same with both. Talk about "could not replicate". That was always their answer if I rode it in...
Your right, go to one of their forums...
Alan

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »

2002 Road King Classic (117ci  (CR 10.62:1 / 
S&S 4 3/8” Flywheel / Baisley Superstock Plus Heads (83cc 1.94” I / 1.630” E)
4.125" Axtell cylinders / 4.125” JE -0.10" dished
0.030" Head Gasket / TMan 625G cam /
HPI 55mm TB / HPI 5.3 Injectors / Trask Assault A/C / FM Jackpot RTX 2-1

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 06:07:51 PM »

I bought a new Honda Shadow 1100 and the rear drive shaft was always clicking. I took it in 3 times and they never fixed it (it would get better and come back) nor offered to replace the bike. Reading about it the drive shaft bearing could be a catastrophic failure.  I took that less than a year old bike and bought my first Harley, a Heritage, and have had less trouble through five bikes than I had with that Honda and the dealer was always there to resolve the problems.  I know HD has it's issues and yes for the cost of these bikes there should be less issues but overall they are dependable bikes.   
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.