Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Joined the lifter crowd (maybe)  (Read 10494 times)

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Re: Joined the lifter crowd (maybe)
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »

It makes sense what you suggest but I just couldn't do it intentionally, maybe, naw.  :coolblue:

I chose to be proactive on mine, but that's no guarantee it won't happen. I thought the rushedmore bikes came with SE lifters. or do they?

Good luck 4fun

TN
Thanks TN.

Funny you mention being proactive, about two weeks ago I was thinking maybe I should change the lifters, then I said nah, I only have 8,000 miles, I will be fine. Guess I should have went with my gut.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »

Thanks TN.

Funny you mention being proactive, about two weeks ago I was thinking maybe I should change the lifters, then I said nah, I only have 8,000 miles, I will be fine. Guess I should have went with my gut.

That is just so sad.  That a modern manufacturer, supposedly using modern manufacturing techniques to modern machining tolerances and modern materials properties standards with a full understanding of the system they are applying all this within would have their clientele ever even considering the idea that a major internal engine component, with literally decades of history in its application and manufacture should be a consumable; and a consumable at less than 10k miles, is embarrassing for them and for us.  The only difference, apparently, between us and the MoCo on such things is that at least we care.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »

I had the same symptoms noisy tapping that turned into a clunking noise. After pulling it down found that the rocker carrier and rocker box bolts had come loose. The clonking was the rocker assembly lifting up and hitting the top cover.
Put in new lifters and cam bearings just the same. I think I was lucky not to of had no damage
Hope it's not down long for you to finish up riding goal.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:00:35 PM by longlast »

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »

That is just so sad.  That a modern manufacturer, supposedly using modern manufacturing techniques to modern machining tolerances and modern materials properties standards with a full understanding of the system they are applying all this within would have their clientele ever even considering the idea that a major internal engine component, with literally decades of history in its application and manufacture should be a consumable; and a consumable at less than 10k miles, is embarrassing for them and for us.  The only difference, apparently, between us and the MoCo on such things is that at least we care.

what, 200 run hours(assuming an average of 55 MPH) isn't acceptable for an internal engine component???? These are air cooled- just like my lawn tractor so I guess 200 hours is about right, I fully expect to rebuild the whole engine around the time it accumulates 1,000 hours (about 50k miles) - sad but true  :(
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »

what, 200 run hours(assuming an average of 55 MPH) isn't acceptable for an internal engine component???? These are air cooled- just like my lawn tractor so I guess 200 hours is about right, I fully expect to rebuild the whole engine around the time it accumulates 1,000 hours (about 50k miles) - sad but true  :(

If you write it that way ( MTBF=200 ) anyone from the outside looking in would not believe it's not a typo.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »

I probably have about 200 hours on my John Deere lawn tractor running at full throttle and it is still going strong. Maybe I should put a Briggs and Stratton engine in the bike.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »

I probably have about 200 hours on my John Deere lawn tractor running at full throttle and it is still going strong. Maybe I should put a Briggs and Stratton engine in the bike.

The company I work for has large 2 stroke per cycle engines that run 24 hours a day for up to 10 years in between overhauls, that's 87,000 hours. And if they went down every 8 days for a failure of an internal component the fecal matter would hit the rotating oscillator....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:55:58 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 10:15:32 PM »

8000 miles.  My Gawd.

I swapped out my cams inner cam bearings and lifters at 7000 miles on my 2012. Glad I did.

Did a full head rebuild and lifters at 23,500.

Mine crapped out at 38,000 just last week. In the shop now I hope its just the EITMS or CPS or Auto Comp Release.  No compression rear cyl.

Good luck with yours.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »

Wow 8K miles!  I was worried about mine at 19K and replaced them with SS lifters.  The old ones looked fine but I felt better afterwards.

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »

JD recommends lifters adjusted every 200 hours I do believe.  May depend on the motor you have (kohler, kawi, B&S, etc).

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 06:36:58 PM »

JD recommends lifters adjusted every 200 hours I do believe.  May depend on the motor you have (kohler, kawi, B&S, etc).
I will have to check on that, it a B&S engine. Have an older one with a Kohler with probably 10 years of use for grass and snow. Now just as a big snowblower, never adjusted that, still going fine.

I did have to adjust the valves on my generator around the 200 hr mark. Wouldn't start. That has a Kohler.

Have time to do it now that the bike is down.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »

Trick is when you hear that chirp run it full wide open so you completely trash the motor because if you don't, they just want to rebuild yours, and who knows what damage they'll miss/overlook in their effort to save them pennies.

I did say I was on the highway. ;)

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=67702.msg1439708#msg1439708

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »

Adjustment is not replacement.  I turn wrenches for a living.  If a pushrod motor can go 100k or better in a truck how in the world does it not make it 8000 miles in a bike.  So far I have not had these problems with a little over 50k on the 08 Roadglide.  Seen my share of compensators though.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »

To all that are interested,  the motor is pretty much trash. Metal everywhere. I stopped in to take a look at it. Lifters took out the cams, metal shavings everywhere. The crank sensor looked hairy with all the metal on it.

Just waiting on Cornerstone to decide if they are going to pay to rebuild everything or put a new motor in. The dealer is pushing for a new motor rather then trying to clean everything.

J.D.

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 06:03:07 PM »

"Another one bites the dust."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.