Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Joined the lifter crowd (maybe)  (Read 10421 times)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Joined the lifter crowd (maybe)
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »

Glad you got her back. I know what you mean about not seeing that bike that just calls to you. I haven't seen that one since I got the one I have and it called to me.  I had almost 20K on my lifters and decided to just have them changed to SS and also put in the adjustable push rods. I didn't have any problems but  wanted to prevent issues. So far so good.  My dealer has always been great as well!   

J.D.

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2017, 09:56:18 PM »

Shavings and chunks rather than rollers and shaving and chunks.  The only good option is none of the above.

I guess it depends if the bushing just wears out to a larger ID and gets noisy, or grenades.  Based on the limited internet research I did on them, I was under the impression that the bushing material doesn't fail catastrophically like the needle bearings.

Best to not find out and replace whatever you run long before that happens.  :2vrolijk_21:

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2017, 10:31:35 AM »

Not as simple as that. There is collateral damage that occurs and usually takes out the bores and sends metal everywhere. The guys that ride them when they are making noise and hope they will clear up that is what kills the motor regardless of whose lifters are in there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

I guess it depends if the bushing just wears out to a larger ID and gets noisy, or grenades.  Based on the limited internet research I did on them, I was under the impression that the bushing material doesn't fail catastrophically like the needle bearings.

Best to not find out and replace whatever you run long before that happens.  :2vrolijk_21:

Depending on materials and processes and temps and pressures (and a host of other factors) embrittlement is a consideration with bushings.  The materials processes guys have a specific and technical term for the results: Chunks.  Chunks is a bad thing...

Chunks would assume, of course, that nothing else failed first.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.