Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accessing Road King Handlebar Clamps  (Read 1918 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Accessing Road King Handlebar Clamps
« on: August 27, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »

I am wanting to change my Handlebars on my 98 Road King.
It seems to be a real pain in the butt to access the handlebar clamps. The headlight has to be removed to access a few bolts to remove the cover over the clamps.
  I have read that a 2008 Cover will make it easier and that there is a retrofit kit for the 2007 and earlier Road Kings. Does anyone have the part number and cost?  I guess a Pro is the ease of adjusting the bars is a lot easier and the Con's would  be paying for the kit.
Thanks 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Accessing Road King Handlebar Clamps
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »

The nacelle halves, that little trim and everything else around the handlebar clamp cover itself all carry the earlier part numbers on an 08.  The only thing different is the cover itself and it's only different for the indentation for the little emblem.  The way it mounts to all the other parts stays the same though.

I only specifically remember taking it apart three or four times on a 2008.  Pretty sure I remember nothing easier there though.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:46:43 PM »

Ok Thanks.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:50:36 PM »

that isn't entirely correct.  I had an 07 roadking custom.  I changed out the handlebar cover so I could get rid of the chrome flyscreen.  later when the other covers came out, I wanted to change that so that I would have easier access to the handlebar riser bolts.  the 08 and later cover will not 07 and earlier.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »

that isn't entirely correct.  I had an 07 roadking custom.  I changed out the handlebar cover so I could get rid of the chrome flyscreen.  later when the other covers came out, I wanted to change that so that I would have easier access to the handlebar riser bolts.  the 08 and later cover will not 07 and earlier.

The nacelles and other surrounding parts on an 08 with the exception of the clam cover all still carry the prior Year's part numbers. Most from 2003. What did you run into that kept the swap from happening directly?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 03:33:01 PM »

I see on the parts finder that the nacelle part numbers are the same, back to 03.  but when I tried that cover, it just plain didn't fit.  was off all around, and the key mechanism was down about 1/4''.  maybe if the op was able to get one to look at side by side, he would be able to determine fitment.  I sure would hate to spend the money for no reason though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:34:41 PM »

I see on the parts finder that the nacelle part numbers are the same, back to 03.  but when I tried that cover, it just plain didn't fit.  was off all around, and the key mechanism was down about 1/4''.  maybe if the op was able to get one to look at side by side, he would be able to determine fitment.  I sure would hate to spend the money for no reason though.

Might be an issue of production variance.  That's the nice way of saying there's some pieces Harley doesn't do a good job of making absolutely the same repetitively.  Have seen nacelle halves that were so far off from each other you could see the difference with the naked eye.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »

I dunno.  the way that it didn't fit together seemed like a lot more off than just sloppy production tolerances.  the best thing would be for the op to get a hold of one and let us know for sure.   :bananarock:

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.