Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Make this barge handle better  (Read 4299 times)

xupd42bmg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Make this barge handle better
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »

I need a more sportbike feel out of my 2016 cvo road glide ultra. Currently its stock. What's everyone running for forks and shocks?  Thanks for your help.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Make this barge handle better
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »

Let me understand.... you want more of a sport bike feel out of your 843 lb luxo-cruiser??    :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:
Can't say what "everyone" runs but if you want a more responsive ride without breaking your bank, I like my Progressive Monotube front end and Progressive 970 remote reservoir touring shocks.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »

What?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »

:-\
Remember the ancient and old saying........."you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear". :oops:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:14:01 PM »

Check these guys out.  If your wallet can take it, that's about as good as you're gonna get.  But a sportbike feel, no.

http://www.traxxion.com

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 09:53:27 PM »

Check these guys out.  If your wallet can take it, that's about as good as you're gonna get.  But a sportbike feel, no.

http://www.traxxion.com

Had my AK-20 rebuilt late last year and got some new 330mm bitubos for the rear. Good to go again for 40k. maybe.  :orange:

Lets Ride

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 09:03:03 AM »

I doubt you could possibly make a nearly 900 lb Harley handle like a sport bike, no matter how large the pocket book.  It would be easier and cheaper to just have a custom bike made.  However, even late model Harley touring bikes with the latest and "greatest" upgraded suspension from the factory will ride and handle better with a top quality fork and shock upgrade.  Look around this site and you'll find suggestions for improvements ranging from fairly reasonable to wildly expensive.  As long as you have reasonable expectations, I'm sure you will find something that will improve the bike.  But if you expect it to handle like a real sport bike when you're done spending your cash, don't waste the time or money.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

xupd42bmg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »

Come on guys. Of course I don't expect it to handle like a sport bike. Just wondering what everyones opinion was on fork kits and shocks. Legend, progressive, ohlins, ..  I don't really want to waste money on things that don't really matter if one is better than the other. I know it's subjective.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »

Ohlins. Spend a lot of money once and be done with it.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 01:58:27 PM »

I need a more sportbike feel out of my 2016 cvo road glide ultra. Currently its stock. What's everyone running for forks and shocks?  Thanks for your help.

For the dollar value,  HD's  premium front & rear are a huge improvement from OE
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »

Had my AK-20 rebuilt late last year and got some new 330mm bitubos for the rear. Good to go again for 40k. maybe

I'm with TN and 110tHunDer on this one. Running Traxxion AK-20 front and Bitubo 330mm's on the rear. May have gone Ohlin, but they didn't have their front end package ready at the time I made the purchase. Excellent suspension... 

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »

I have Ohlins in the rear and they're fantastic. I haven't modified the front end but it's on the list. I did buy a new 2017 Road King this year, and I will say I'm way impressed with the stock suspension on it. A major upgrade from previous years.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »

I'm gonna fess up here, I bought the traction setup in 2008, there wasn't allot of choices back then. Traxxion AK-20 cartridges are really nice and fully adjustable but  they ought to be good at their selling price.

There are less expensive front suspension choices out there now that is pretty good. I like to give my view from real world experience. I ran monotubes on a 08 TR for over 90k with no problems, it was setup somewhat different than my current ride but I'd push it hard too.

I do Like my traxxion combo though.  :orange:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

FXD_TG

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »

Ohlins separated have been fantastic for us...  Haven't messed with the front end, but definitely needed to sort out the ride for Miss Debbie.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:54:49 PM by FXD_TG »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »

When I got my 17 I tried to stick with the stock shocks with the new suspension but after about 7000 miles I just couldn't do it. Did Ohlin's front and rear and it really is like a different bike. Agree with Mark, spend the money once and be done with it. Nothing better made for our land yachts!
You get into a high speed sweeper with a bit of washboard in the asphalt and the tires will keep their traction
Alan

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »

The air shocks on my 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra sucked, bike wallowed in the curves.

Ohlin HD-159's sure fixed that.  Handled better and rode better.

When the bike was traded put the Ohlins on my 13 CVO King, it sure improved it.  Then I added Legends Axeo cartridges to the front.  Bike rides and handles far superior to stock.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »

I have had the Traxion's in front for so long I forgot how much better they are until I ride a stock bike. I am just now adding Dirty Air to my Legends. The little compressor that came with the Legends takes forever to pump up. Adding a much bigger compressor and a air tank will allow instant up and down.

SEsupply2

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »

The air shocks on my 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra sucked, bike wallowed in the curves.

Ohlin HD-159's sure fixed that.  Handled better and rode better.

When the bike was traded put the Ohlins on my 13 CVO King, it sure improved it.  Then I added Legends Axeo cartridges to the front.  Bike rides and handles far superior to stock.

Dave, I see you used to have an 09 FLTRSE3, so I am going to pick your brain on the suspension. I still have the stock front suspension but have changed out the rear air shocks for the HD hand adjustable ones. I ride 2-up mostly 95% of the time and only 1-up back and forth to work, 30 miles round trip. Our combined weight is 400# along with a chopped tour pak, I have tried going back and forth on the rear shocks to get the best ride w/o bottoming out. If I set it to not bottom out but to carry us it is stiff as a board, and if I go the other way then holes, bumps it will bottom out. I also do not like the effect the front suspension does, it seems to just shake the front end if I hit a large bump, hole, etc., like something is loose.
I have been looking at the Progressive monotubes for my bike, from what I have read they seem to help and now I am looking at different rear shocks. So far all I have gotten is info from Super Shox......I don't want to invest a chit load of $$ as I will probably trade in 2 years or less but I want a smoother ride, for my wife especially and myself. Thanks
2018 FLTRXSE
Fullsac MX pipe and S&S MK45's
Corbin dual touring seat
SOUNDZ Amp, Iron 65 & Iron 57 speakers
HD king tourpak w/chopped backrest
Metalsport luggage rack
JH Choppers floorboards
Freedom windshield 13"
Ciro3d cupholders
Ohlins 159 shocks
Avon grips/pegs

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »

SEsupply2 you will get lots of info on your suspension from this old post :

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76154.0

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 12:43:27 AM »

Dave, I see you used to have an 09 FLTRSE3, so I am going to pick your brain on the suspension. I still have the stock front suspension but have changed out the rear air shocks for the HD hand adjustable ones. I ride 2-up mostly 95% of the time and only 1-up back and forth to work, 30 miles round trip. Our combined weight is 400# along with a chopped tour pak, I have tried going back and forth on the rear shocks to get the best ride w/o bottoming out. If I set it to not bottom out but to carry us it is stiff as a board, and if I go the other way then holes, bumps it will bottom out. I also do not like the effect the front suspension does, it seems to just shake the front end if I hit a large bump, hole, etc., like something is loose.
I have been looking at the Progressive monotubes for my bike, from what I have read they seem to help and now I am looking at different rear shocks. So far all I have gotten is info from Super Shox......I don't want to invest a chit load of $$ as I will probably trade in 2 years or less but I want a smoother ride, for my wife especially and myself. Thanks

Like you, I first installed the HD Premium Adjustable Shocks on the rear of the '09 SERG,,, 'Noticed an improvement, but nothing earth shattering... Then installed the HD Premium Front Cartridges,,, Transformed the whole Bike! Excellent Ride Quality, Great Handling, Minimal Brake Dive for 50k mi. so far :coolblue:

On the '09 SERG, the front end is the real culprit, mushy, poor damping...

Instead of jumping from shock to shock, install the HD Premium Cartridges, give it 700 mi. or so to allow the front to settle in, play with the rear adjustment to make sure it's in the sweet spot, and enjoy the Ride...

JMHO,,, Your results may vary...

For any good suspension, the front & rear must play well together...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

buell95

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 02:46:39 AM »

Ohlins front and back and love it best money I ever spent.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 07:59:13 AM »

Fixing the front will really help the back.  I would go with Legends AXEO for the front.  If you can't swing it then progressive mono tubes. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 05:04:39 PM »

'Dig the Inverted Ohlins :2vrolijk_21:

Where did you get them? How difficult was it to piece together??
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

xupd42bmg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:44 PM »

Dang!!! what's a setup like that cost?

MontSE103

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »

I am running the AXEO FLH FRONT END SUSPENSION and LEGEND AIR FLH in the rear...I love them

You can run run their coil shocks LEGEND REVO-A FLH.

I plan on putting LEGEND REVO-A DYNA on my Wideglide this winter.

http://www.legendsuspensions.com/motorcycle
2004 FLHTCSE 103" 116 Hp
2004 Wide Glide 88" 96 Hp
2007 TMCC Keystone 120"

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED...
FOR THOSE WHO ARE SERVING...
FOR THOSE WHO CAME HOME...
FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT COME HOME...
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE YET TO COME HOME...

MIA/POW
ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE

BUY MADE IN AMERICA FIRST

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »

running Legions Axeo front and rear on my `08, was surprised how much better it is.   
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »

Upgrading the rear shocks and front cartridges will improve the rid quality and help with tire/road compliance but you asked about handling. The only way to improve handling is to change the geometry and reduce the stock trail spec of 6.8 inches.
Check out Big Bear Choppers  Ohlins inverted front fork kit, two options available, with and without Hi-perf dual disc brake upgrade.
Their system reduces the rake by 3 degrees and reduces the trail from 6.8 to 4.5. Every sport bike out there has a trail somewhere around 4 inches.
I'm doing mine soon.
https://bigbearchoppers.com/product/hd-bagger-front-fork-assembly-2014-and-up/

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.