Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking For Straight Talk On Streetglide Suspension  (Read 1170 times)

hdtucson

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

Looking For Straight Talk On Streetglide Suspension
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »

Hello new here and interested in possibly buying a second bike. My current bike is a special edition 2015 Limited which I added many upgrades for comfort. My style is long distance comfort. I thought about the SG because of the lack of the tour pack and lower seating position. I am getting old. I see me still taking the Limited on all country rides and the SG for day and week end trips. Joy rides and maybe to Vegas and back or San Diego.

The problem I keep hearing is the roughness of the ride. I believe that applies to the CVO also. I know all about the after market but would rather not have to put additional funds on  a second bike, especially a CVO. Is the ride better than some of the complaints suggest and how about the 2017 new suspension upgrade. I will try a demo ride but that will be limited riding distance.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Looking For Straight Talk On Streetglide Suspension
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »

Problem with your questions is talking about the quality of the ride depends on many factors of the rider such as his age and experience combined with his riding style. ( gentle rider vs. sporty rider etc.) Just as with motor mods some are very happy with stock setups since they don't now any better and others push the limits of stock and need more performance.
I didn't know how bad my stock 2009 CVO Roadglide suspension was until I upgraded to better front and rear suspension components. It was well worth the money to switch, and I'm not even the sportiest rider I know.....

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »

I have a 2012 FLHXSE3 with added tour pak.  The original suspension wasn't great but was an improvement over previous FLH suspensions.  I wanted to improve the ride, so I did a lot of research on this forum and decided to give Howard at Motorcycle Metal a call (he is definitely a different cat)and talk about a set of Ohlin's.  Howard had just started selling JRI shocks and pushed me in that direction.  They were $900, which were just a little less than Ohlin's.  The results were absolutely terrible.  The ride was so stiff that you felt every bump and I tried every possible setting there was.  I lodged a complaint with Howard, who did nothing but give me a JRI contact.  JRI wanted me to send the shocks in for two months so they could analyze the problem.  I told them that the problem is their springs are just way too stiff, that I just needed a new set of the correct springs and I really don't want my bike sitting for two months but they insisted. 

I had also been reading on this forum that a lot of guys have added the DIY Monroe air shocks with great success.  I got on ebay and bought a complete set for $245.  I just got them installed over the weekend and the results are amazing.  Great ride, easily adjustable, I'm happy and more importantly the wife is happy!!  The Monroe air shocks with compressor works perfectly on a Streetglide.  I mounted my compressor just in front of the battery above the coil and it fit perfectly.

I've got the JRI's for sale if anyone is interested but I doubt it.

Cowboy
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:15:17 PM by CowboyBagger »
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

hdtucson

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »

Problem with your questions is talking about the quality of the ride depends on many factors of the rider such as his age and experience combined with his riding style. ( gentle rider vs. sporty rider etc.) Just as with motor mods some are very happy with stock setups since they don't now any better and others push the limits of stock and need more performance.
I didn't know how bad my stock 2009 CVO Roadglide suspension was until I upgraded to better front and rear suspension components. It was well worth the money to switch, and I'm not even the sportiest rider I know.....

Yes, and I understand that. I am not expecting it to ride like a Limited just not too harsh for comfort. I am not aggressive and seldom push the limits anymore. Just do not want my back and butt jolted on every crack in the road and bump.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »

You might get some info from this old thread.....

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76154.0

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »

The problem I keep hearing is the roughness of the ride. I believe that applies to the CVO also. I know all about the after market but would rather not have to put additional funds on  a second bike, especially a CVO. Is the ride better than some of the complaints suggest and how about the 2017 new suspension upgrade. I will try a demo ride but that will be limited riding distance.

the only reason that the ride is 'harsher' on the street glide vs the limited is the street glide has 12'' shocks on the rear while your limited has 13''.  if short legs are not a problem for you, you can easily fit a set of 13'' shocks on the street glide, and then you'd have the same ride as the limited.  the front suspension is the same.

as has been mentioned, you can also go way up in quality and price to replace those 12 inchers.  but if you are happy with the ride that your limited gives you, start cheap and work your way up until you are happy.  no need to spend $1000 on shocks if you would have been perfectly happy with a $100 pair of take offs.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.