Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch problem on hot run  (Read 1596 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Clutch problem on hot run
« on: September 11, 2017, 05:20:30 AM »

Any pointers to what happened here please.

CVO Ultra RoadGlide 2011. 33k miles on it.

Very hot day 100degF. Not loaded with luggage but two up.

In French Alps going up a multi hairpin pass very slowly - first and second gear riding, sometimes slipping clutch (but not too much of that) to get around the tight bends.

Engine smelled hot but still kept going ok. I have done this type of ridding many times before, just the bends were a bit tighter than normal and it was a bit hotter than normal.

Without any previous warning, came to one hairpin bend and pulled the clutch lever in - came all the way (nearly) to the bar without actuating the clutch. Managed to stop, roll back to a safe place and left to cool for half hour, clutch action returned and carried on. Ridden another 500 miles since no problems.

What happened?

JohnT

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: Clutch problem on hot run
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:23:28 AM »

Sounds like you boiled the brake fluid (for clutch, of course). Once it is percolating you won't have any clutch activation. Since DOT 3 and 4 are hydroscopic ( absorb moisture out of the air) this will happen sooner if there is the tiniest bit of water in the brake fluid. It is time to flush the clutch hydraulics.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:18:58 AM »

He is correct. This happened to me taking a twisty mountain road two loaded and pulling a trailer. Lost my rear brake also. Get the fluid flushed. Moco recommends doing this every two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:41:35 AM »

More than a few people have had this problem since 2009, thanks in part to the routing of the clutch hydraulic line near the exhaust and the fact the line is not insulated.  As noted in the previous posts, completely flush the hydraulic system and fill with the highest boiling point DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 (not silicone) fluid you can find.  It also wouldn't hurt to find some tubing insulation wrap for the line where it runs near the exhaust system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »

Any pointers to what happened here please.

CVO Ultra RoadGlide 2011. 33k miles on it.

Very hot day 100degF. Not loaded with luggage but two up.

In French Alps going up a multi hairpin pass very slowly - first and second gear riding, sometimes slipping clutch (but not too much of that) to get around the tight bends.

Engine smelled hot but still kept going ok. I have done this type of ridding many times before, just the bends were a bit tighter than normal and it was a bit hotter than normal.

Without any previous warning, came to one hairpin bend and pulled the clutch lever in - came all the way (nearly) to the bar without actuating the clutch. Managed to stop, roll back to a safe place and left to cool for half hour, clutch action returned and carried on. Ridden another 500 miles since no problems.

What happened?

JohnT

This has happened twice on my '09 SERG, once in Glacier National Park +- 6k ft of elevation, in Aug '13 and just last month (Aug '17) in the Smokey Mtns, +-4k ft of elevation... Pretty much identical scenario as yours... First time I was caught in traffic on Going to the Sun Road, most recently, I was following one of  my Buds, with 2 more bikes behind me, on / near the Cherohala Skyway...
Due to my experience in '13, I knew what it was and that the "fix" was cooling the bike down,,, so I passed up to the front and "ran my own pace", less rowing of the gears, along with some coasting the Oil Temp dropped from 260* (which is high / uncommon for the '09) to a more common 240*,,, the Clutch immediately came back to normal :2vrolijk_21:

The first time, the Bike had 13-14k miles, last month, 58k miles...

The similarities seem to be the combination of; high ambient temps, elevation, and the up and down 1-2-3 gear shifting, causing the hydraulic fluid to boil and not transfer adequate pressure from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder...

I agree with others that a change to a higher boiling point fluid could help,,, the next time that I have the opportunity, I will ask the HD Engineers about any potential compatibility issues / suggestions...   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:15:48 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »

Thanks' to you all for the responses. Question answered.

JohnT

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »

Last year riding out west and charging up mountains I had clutch issues.  Changed all the fluid this year, same roads, same style, no issues.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.