Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exhaust installation  (Read 1116 times)

CEELOW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Exhaust installation
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:07:15 PM »

I apologize if there is something posted on the subject but I was unable to find it. I am getting ready to install my new exhaust system and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice in regards to the O2 sensor's on my 16 CVO Pro Street Breakout. For those of you that have replaced your exhaust was it easier to disconnect the sensors by unplugging from the wiring harness or just try and disconnect them at the pipes? Does anyone have any pictures of where the 02 sensors plug into the harness on the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to start taking things off of my bike and then get stuck.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Exhaust installation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:44:56 PM »

this is not breakout specific, but I found it easier to unplug the o2 sensors before taking the exhaust off.  otherwise, you'll end up twisting the wire harness a bunch when you take the o2 sensors out.  also, the reverse for installing,  if they are not connected, then you can spin them to your heart's desire and it won't make a difference.

just follow the wire from the sensor up and you'll find the plug to disconnect them.  remember to hook them back up in the same locations, if you mix front to back, your bike won't run very well.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ultrarider123

Re: Exhaust installation
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:58:25 AM »

this is not breakout specific, but I found it easier to unplug the o2 sensors before taking the exhaust off.  otherwise, you'll end up twisting the wire harness a bunch when you take the o2 sensors out.  also, the reverse for installing,  if they are not connected, then you can spin them to your heart's desire and it won't make a difference.

just follow the wire from the sensor up and you'll find the plug to disconnect them.  remember to hook them back up in the same locations, if you mix front to back, your bike won't run very well.

What scratch said.... :2vrolijk_21:

I've used both methods on touring header sets.  If you choose to leave connected in the removal, the trick is to count the revolutions it takes to remove the O2 sensors.  Remember that and pre-twist them that number of turns before re-inserting and you should be OK.  It saves a bit more work in removing and re-routing the sensor wiring but you take a chance in all that twisting of wires.  The last two headers I've removed/replaced, I went the unplug and removal method as scratch described.

As for removing the exhaust on a modern softail, the last one I did was on an EVO in 1994....good luck and make sure to post some pictures when completed.... :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.