Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: engine swap  (Read 6523 times)

tall drink of water

• Ride Like the Wind

• CVO1: 2011 cvo road glide ultra
engine swap
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:12:01 AM »

Has anyone heard of replacing 110 with a Milwaukee Eight motor. I have a 2015 CVO RGU. Since Harley doesn't seem to believe CVO RGU is a bike to build.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: engine swap
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »

I have not heard of this swap being done yet. My guess is it's too soon of a motor to have many donor motors available from used bikes and hard to get ahold of a factory fresh spare motor too.
My father always told me not to buy any first year vehicle with major changes such as a motor etc. so I would  not be the "test dummy". So I personally would wait until all the bugs get worked out first.......

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:07:50 AM »

So I personally would wait until all the bugs get worked out first.......

Now that is funny right thar.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »

Now that is funny right thar.
Doubt he meant it to be funny but it is.  Waited ten long years for the moco to work out the bugs in the 110 and even longer for the entire twinkie platform.  Guess they just gave up and said ***k it but we their loyal customers are the ones who got the shaft.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »

Doubt he meant it to be funny but it is.  Waited ten long years for the moco to work out the bugs in the 110 and even longer for the entire twinkie platform.  Guess they just gave up and said ***k it but we their loyal customers are the ones who got the shaft.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:   Every time someone makes a comment about waiting for Harley to get the bugs out, I either roll my eyes, quietly shake my head, or sometimes break out laughing.  There is a secret to "getting the bugs out" that Harley has never learned.  First, you have to understand you have bugs.  Then you have to actually give a chit about eliminating those bugs.  Finally, you have to spend the time and money to fix it, versus the usual "ignore it and maybe it will go away" response.  Even though I'm not from Missouri, Harley management will have to show me before I'll ever believe they care about customers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »

OK I guess I should have said "most of the bugs found" vs. all the bugs being fixed.  :huepfenlol2:
Thinking back on the past I remember early problems with the EVO and over time it became a reliable motor, then first year or two problems with the Twin Cam then it became more dependable until the 110 came out and first year issues with that motor.
I do hate the attitude of "They all do that" or having to buy the Screamin Eagle upgrade kit to fix a known problem, why doesn't it come with improved parts to begin with? I know they get money on parts and service so no incentive to do it right the first time.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:   Every time someone makes a comment about waiting for Harley to get the bugs out, I either roll my eyes, quietly shake my head, or sometimes break out laughing.  There is a secret to "getting the bugs out" that Harley has never learned.  First, you have to understand you have bugs.  Then you have to actually give a chit about eliminating those bugs.  Finally, you have to spend the time and money to fix it, versus the usual "ignore it and maybe it will go away" response.  Even though I'm not from Missouri, Harley management will have to show me before I'll ever believe they care about customers.

Jerry

You would think they would want to jump on the problem that Harleytacticalnut was having so people on this forum and others would say wow look at that customer service! But from what I have experienced and witnessed in this forum and in person, I agree they don't care, at some point in time it will catch up with them,  IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:44:49 PM »

ya they do make a motor for that its a S&S 124lc ;D
2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »

My father always told me not to buy any first year vehicle with major changes such as a motor etc. so I would  not be the "test dummy". So I personally would wait until all the bugs get worked out first.......
Like they did with the 110?  Seems they still have failed lifters, 9 years into production.....
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

J.D.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »

Their strategy seems to be "let's find all the parts that have no significant issues and make/source them cheaper".

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »

Well ISKI you probably won’t come to my rescue this time, but here it goes again. My bike is in the shop getting rebuilt @35k miles for the “hard to complain about” $50 deductible. So rather than me being out riding my bike I have the pleasure of enjoying (and responding) to GRC’s posts… again. :)

Jerry

So are you talking about the time and money that was spent paying for all of the engineering and re-tooling  necessary for the new engine? Does that count? Oh I forgot. The Engineers and the rest of the employees at HD (according to you) couldn’t possibly be paid very much because they are just idiots!
Also, why would HD spend all the time, expense, and labor on the resigned engine when according to some all they needed to do to make the 110 bullet proof was put in some better lifters and springs, and quit putting in the cheap stuff? Wow. I guess those penny pinchers at HD management really must have been sleeping on the job to allow those engineers to spend all that money!

You know maybe HD should just solve all their problems and hire you GRC! You obviously have ALL of the answers!

BTW. Don’t you think it is about time that you change your little score below your signature? How about being honest and change the current score to love 0, hate 100, bewildered 0. Someone who knows everything couldn’t possibly be bewildered.

Cheers.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 10:23:30 PM »

ya they do make a motor for that its a S&S 124lc ;D
This  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 03:28:47 AM »

Well ISKI you probably won’t come to my rescue this time, but here it goes again. My bike is in the shop getting rebuilt @35k miles for the “hard to complain about” $50 deductible. So rather than me being out riding my bike I have the pleasure of enjoying (and responding) to GRC’s posts… again. :)

So are you talking about the time and money that was spent paying for all of the engineering and re-tooling  necessary for the new engine? Does that count? Oh I forgot. The Engineers and the rest of the employees at HD (according to you) couldn’t possibly be paid very much because they are just idiots!
Also, why would HD spend all the time, expense, and labor on the resigned engine when according to some all they needed to do to make the 110 bullet proof was put in some better lifters and springs, and quit putting in the cheap stuff? Wow. I guess those penny pinchers at HD management really must have been sleeping on the job to allow those engineers to spend all that money!

You know maybe HD should just solve all their problems and hire you GRC! You obviously have ALL of the answers!

BTW. Don’t you think it is about time that you change your little score below your signature? How about being honest and change the current score to love 0, hate 100, bewildered 0. Someone who knows everything couldn’t possibly be bewildered.

Cheers.

Three letters...EPA

The 110 could not meet current EPA emissions standards and needed to be redesigned to reduce emissions.  They did this by lowering the head temps to reduce pollutants.

:oops: :nixweiss:

I also think that it has been proven by other third party vendors that the 110 can be made reliable.  I think HD did a cost analysis and figured they could make more money by tricking customers into fixing the problems then doing it right.  I am sure they make quite a pretty penny selling the "improved" SE parts.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:34:50 AM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »

Three letters...EPA

The 110 could not meet current EPA emissions standards and needed to be redesigned to reduce emissions.  They did this by lowering the head temps to reduce pollutants.

:oops: :nixweiss:

I also think that it has been proven by other third party vendors that the 110 can be made reliable.  I think HD did a cost analysis and figured they could make more money by tricking customers into fixing the problems then doing it right.  I am sure they make quite a pretty penny selling the "improved" SE parts.
I would not say the EPA is not a PITA for HD but sorry I don't buy the EPA "head temp" argument. In my opinion here's why. The twin cooled heads according to the very same aftermarket experts now have stable temps. So in all actuality HD who BTW actually has all of the data and stats on the head and valve train issues obviously knew they had to do a redesign! Otherwise those "all powerful bean counters" would have won out and spent the easy money on the so called simple fix of replacing lifters and springs to make it bullet proof. Instead they spent time and money and did what needed to be done.

ultrarider123

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »

Has anyone heard of replacing 110 with a Milwaukee Eight motor. I have a 2015 CVO RGU. Since Harley doesn't seem to believe CVO RGU is a bike to build.

Hey Tall, with your thread going South so quickly, I'm betting you may be rethinking asking that question now, huh...... :nervous:

Good golly fellers, all ol' Tall wanted was to know if swapping out a twin cam to M8 has been done yet.  Y'all turned it into the MoCo ain't got no engineers or bean counters run the place or which is a better motor......

.....I love this site..... ;D :bananarock: :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.