Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Pickup truck bike loading systems  (Read 2537 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Pickup truck bike loading systems
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »

Anyone use any of the electric bike loading systems> I have a truck with a 6 1/2 foot bed and want to bring my 2017 CVO Limited.
Bill

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Pickup truck bike loading systems
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »

You can haul a full size bike in a 6.5' bed but is not best deal. Now matter what type loader you buy they are going to hang out the back of the truck substantially, and a 1000 - 1200# (loader & bike)  in the bed of the average 1/2T pickup is a pretty good load that is somewhat top heavy. No quick lane changes or you can get puckered pretty quick. Experience here.  Even a small single bike alum trailer like a Alumna is a better deal. To each his own.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:46:05 AM »

Problem is I want to also pull a camping trailer.
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »

A friend had one of these in a 6 1/2 foot bed.  He got a longer bed truck,  load distribution was better after that.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »

You can haul a full size bike in a 6.5' bed but is not best deal. Now matter what type loader you buy they are going to hang out the back of the truck substantially, and a 1000 - 1200# (loader & bike)  in the bed of the average 1/2T pickup is a pretty good load that is somewhat top heavy. No quick lane changes or you can get puckered pretty quick. Experience here.  Even a small single bike alum trailer like a Alumna is a better deal. To each his own.
What Don said but your camper hinders that. I had a Rampage in the back of my lifted Avalanche and it made things a little hairy at times. If you beef up the rear suspension they work good but can still be a little too heavy. Recommend a 3/4 ton truck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »

I have the Rampage lift in my F250 with a full size bed. Nice heavy duty system, but you will not be able to close the tailgate with the lift in place with a 6.5' box. With an 8' bed you take the tailgate off to use the lift, but with no bike on it, you re-install the tailgate and the lift can stay in the bed if you choose.

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:07:07 PM »

Half ton means passengers, any gear they have and what is in the back. Plus the tongue weight of your trailer means you would be significantly overweight and liable in case of an accident.

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 08:19:50 PM »

You'd also need a pretty heavy duty transmission oil cooler.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »

I know that this doesn't have much to do with a motorcycle loading device, but most pickup truck tailgates I've looked at spec wise, are only rated for 200# load limit.  So when I sat on my tailgate I was technically overloading it.

Just be careful that "IF" you ever haul a bike and the rear wheel is resting on the tailgate, you're tempting Murphy into showing you how he works.

Just a heads up.

Have a great weekend.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »

I know that this doesn't have much to do with a motorcycle loading device, but most pickup truck tailgates I've looked at spec wise, are only rated for 200# load limit.  So when I sat on my tailgate I was technically overloading it.

Just be careful that "IF" you ever haul a bike and the rear wheel is resting on the tailgate, you're tempting Murphy into showing you how he works.

Just a heads up.

Have a great weekend.
And he seems to work overtime quite a bit too. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »

Just a heads up.

Have a great weekend.

Sat on mine today with my son taking a break from working outside.  We were "substantially" over that limit.  That is a good point, all the 6' beds would have 1/2 the bike weight resting on them with a lift. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »

Sat on mine today with my son taking a break from working outside.  We were "substantially" over that limit.  That is a good point, all the 6' beds would have 1/2 the bike weight resting on them with a lift. 
The Rampage keeps all the weight off the TG. It's a monster self contained system that uses a sled and rail setup. It's a little scary to see operate when you've got a large amount of money being moved but it's a great system.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »

Overloading the tailgate is not the problem if you are buying a loading system as they attach to the bed and self support the bike. The tailgate would have little or no weight on it from the bike. The problem is weight and the height of the weight. You really need a 2500 or 3500 Series truck, not a 1500 and definitely not a 5.5 or 6.5 foot bed. Also it appears he wishes to pull a camp trailer as well. With the loader hanging 2 foot min over the back of the bed the trailer tongue would be under the bike so you would have to be very careful with the front of the actual trailer not coming in contact with the back of the bike/loader when you go thru a abrupt dip in the road.
Similar to a motorhome trying to pull a v-nose trailer, go thru a dip and the front of the trailer bumps the back of the coach.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 09:47:23 PM »

The Rampage keeps all the weight off the TG. It's a monster self contained system that uses a sled and rail setup. It's a little scary to see operate when you've got a large amount of money being moved but it's a great system.

A little scary........I think the term is butt-puckering :nervous:

And I say that out of experience.....but you do get used to it after a few times......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »

A little scary........I think the term is butt-puckering :nervous:

And I say that out of experience.....but you do get used to it after a few times......

Watched you load at the end of Eureka Springs.  Almost had to change shorts....  :nervous:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.