Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got a second bike  (Read 1898 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Got a second bike
« on: September 29, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »

A couple years ago, I bought a new Suzuki DR650 for a second bike because I thought it would be fun doing some light off-roading. Problem was there aren't a lot of places around here to ride off road (legally), and it wasn't much fun to ride on the roads, so I sold it shortly after I got it.

So, I'm trying the second bike thing again. I've always liked the Ducati Monster and the Triumph Street Triple (675 cc pre 2018 models), and after a bunch of research I decided on the Ducati.

Found this used one at a dealer- a 2015 Monster 821 with 4,500 kms and a year warranty still left, so I bought it last week.

So far, I love it- it's actually pretty comfortable with a good stock seat and riding position. It has 112 hp and 66 ft/lbs of torque, 80% of which is available at 3500 rpms and peaks at around 7,000 rpms. It's an L-twin, and has a great sound. Actually, the stock pipes are regarded as one the loudest stock pipes on pretty much any bike- sounds really nice.

These bikes really are Italian Harleys- have a similar quality that you can't quite explain which makes you feel good riding it. It oozes character.

I don't want to be a mod-aholic on this, so all I've ordered is Rizoma grips (stock ones suck- thin and hard), bar end mirrors (can't see anything out of the stock mirrors), shorty levers, and a tidy tail, and a different tank pad/protector. I'm going to leave the exhaust alone for now.

Glad I have a second bike these days- weather has been great, and my Road Glide has been down because the headlight bezel is cracked and my daymakers were shaking like crazy. Nobody here had the part, so I drove down to NY today to pick one up. I was swapping the headlights over to the new bracket and was careful not to over-tighten the screws, since they screw into plastic, and one of the damn adjuster screw holes disintegrated! Now the bike will continue to be down, and I have to order another bezel- probably 2 in case one breaks again. Hopefully they will call it defective and save me paying for one.

Pictures coming soon.....
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Got a second bike
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 01:28:47 AM »

A couple years ago, I bought a new Suzuki DR650 for a second bike because I thought it would be fun doing some light off-roading. Problem was there aren't a lot of places around here to ride off road (legally), and it wasn't much fun to ride on the roads, so I sold it shortly after I got it.

So, I'm trying the second bike thing again. I've always liked the Ducati Monster and the Triumph Street Triple (675 cc pre 2018 models), and after a bunch of research I decided on the Ducati.

Found this used one at a dealer- a 2015 Monster 821 with 4,500 kms and a year warranty still left, so I bought it last week.

So far, I love it- it's actually pretty comfortable with a good stock seat and riding position. It has 112 hp and 66 ft/lbs of torque, 80% of which is available at 3500 rpms and peaks at around 7,000 rpms. It's an L-twin, and has a great sound. Actually, the stock pipes are regarded as one the loudest stock pipes on pretty much any bike- sounds really nice.

These bikes really are Italian Harleys- have a similar quality that you can't quite explain which makes you feel good riding it. It oozes character.

I don't want to be a mod-aholic on this, so all I've ordered is Rizoma grips (stock ones suck- thin and hard), bar end mirrors (can't see anything out of the stock mirrors), shorty levers, and a tidy tail, and a different tank pad/protector. I'm going to leave the exhaust alone for now.

Glad I have a second bike these days- weather has been great, and my Road Glide has been down because the headlight bezel is cracked and my daymakers were shaking like crazy. Nobody here had the part, so I drove down to NY today to pick one up. I was swapping the headlights over to the new bracket and was careful not to over-tighten the screws, since they screw into plastic, and one of the damn adjuster screw holes disintegrated! Now the bike will continue to be down, and I have to order another bezel- probably 2 in case one breaks again. Hopefully they will call it defective and save me paying for one.

Pictures coming soon.....
Good for you! I think everyone should have a 2nd bike, especially when the 1st one is a Harley..
Alan

Powergod

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2016 Breakout
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:49:03 AM »

Good for you, I have a second bike a 2016 breakout for just around here riding, refer to it as the Me bike and the CVO limited as the We bike
If you can read this thank a teacher, if it's in English thank a soldier.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »

Good on you, diversity is fun and it's nice having a backup bike when one is down. We thinned the herd of two and are down to the CVO Ultra, Honda ST1300Polce, Suzuki DL1000 and BMW GS1200

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:12:33 PM »

yeah, I have a few buddies with more than one bike. Even though we have an 8 month or so riding season, I do a lot of riding and feel I can justify 2 bikes.

I think this Ducati is perfect for a Harley guy. It is similar as far as the feel of riding something different and special, yet it's the opposite as in it weighs half as much, and the acceleration is sport bike fast once the revs get up there. It is even enjoyable just cruising along because of the way it sounds. It is also way more comfortable than I thought it would be- the riding position is only slightly leaned over, the stock seat is firm yet springy which is what I like, and the suspension is a balance of comfort and sport. I'm glad I didn't go for the Triumph.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »

Last year I came across a black denim 2015 FatBob 35 miles on the odometer it was a HD Repo.  Tore it all down added custom paint, S&S 107 top end, new cam & exhaust, HPI 58 TB & stage 4 head work real fun bike to putt around on now!!!

Bostonboy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:51:36 PM by BostonboyDH »

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »

I have a Ducati XDiavel S as my 2nd bike. Stock mirror vibration makes them worthless so I was looking at bar end mirrors. Which ones did you go with?

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 02:25:20 AM »

Rizoma Urlo grips, Rizoma bar ends, and Rizoma Reverse Retro mirrors. Still waiting on the parts but will be here end of this week. Put Pazzo levers on- they are nice. Ya stock
mirrors are useless because of their positioning- cant see behind you.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »

:worthless:

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »

LOL, I know. Gonna install my parts tmrw so I'll take some pics and post them soon.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »

Last year I came across a black denim 2015 FatBob 35 miles on the odometer it was a HD Repo.  Tore it all down added custom paint, S&S 107 top end, new cam & exhaust, HPI 58 TB & stage 4 head work real fun bike to putt around on now!!!

Bostonboy

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »

I always wanted a Duck. Just something so sexy about them and the roar they produce. Only thing that keeps me away is the required maintaining of valves. Used to be checks like every 3k miles? or something like that. Guess it just adds to a finely tuned machine but, just not practical for me.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.