Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Hot Springs, Heber Springs and Eureka Springs...the Ozarks of Arkansas Oct 2017  (Read 5954 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Come on Jock.....you know it's rough.  I mean you have to get on your bike and ride and take pics when everybody else is standing around BSing or riding so fast that they're missing it all.  Then ya have to come home and down load them to your hosting site then copy and past the BBC code in to a post and once in awhile ya got to type something in there. 

It ain't easy tryin to remember what was going through my mind when I took a given picture.  The image is almost crystal clear....just can't remember what I was thinking that made me take some of these pics.  It's really hard work!  I know you know.....I learned it from you. :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America

Amazing pics and looks like great riding (and life) out there. Keep these posts coming as I am now living vicariously through you guys.
Alan

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?

I appreciate you being my guide for future endeavors if I am so lucky.   ;)

Keep it up my friend!

:2vrolijk_21: 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:29:51 PM by JCZ »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

I appreciate you being my guide for future endeavors if I am so lucky.   ;)

Keep it up my friend!

:2vrolijk_21:

Talk about the guide for future endeavors.....as we were driving around today in Don's truck we were pointing out sites "oh, Jock posted pics of that"....."oh, Jock posted pics of this".   :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

We took the back way to Eureka Springs.  Went through towns like Damascus and Jerusalem and .........well, here is a picture.......

and more back roads riding in the Ozarks....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Arkansas Grand Canyon?  Now that's a streatch of imagination.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

We've arrived in Eureka Springs and hooked up with Don & Carol....

Not sure why they feel they need to post this in Arkansas.... :nervous:

This truck cleared this bridge by 4".  Don and I talked to him earlier......said he'd been under it before so he didn't even slow down this time....

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:06:13 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Time to head on back to Heber Springs....

Rode through Harrison, Ark.  The only thing I know about Harrison is that it used to be home to David Duke and the headquarters of the KKK and was also labeled the most racist town in America.  As I remember from the news back then, the town struggled with that reputation and the KKK until they finally left.  Not sure where they went to but it seemed like any other town to me.  Although I did notice a number of "bars and stars" (confederate) flags hanging from porches, trailer houses and pick up trucks.  I kept riding...

Oh yea.....and that's where the Buffalo River is located.  They filmed a part of the movie Deliverance there......and I hear the banjo music now.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

This what is known as "Natural Bridge" and at one time, was used as a bridge.  They had some old time photographs of people, horses, etc. on this stone bridge.  And just a little further up the trail is a cave where Belle Starr was found and captured.

The cave where Belle Starr was captured..... 
Belle Starr
Belle Starr Biography.com
Criminal(1848–1889)

QUICK FACTS

NAME
Belle Starr
OCCUPATION
Criminal
BIRTH DATE
February 5, 1848
DEATH DATE
February 3, 1889
PLACE OF BIRTH
Missouri
PLACE OF DEATH
Briartown, Oklahoma
AKA
Belle Shirley
NICKNAME
“Bandit Queen”
FULL NAME
Myra Maybelle Shirley
SYNOPSIS
CITE THIS PAGE
Belle Starr gained notoriety as an outlaw on the western edge of the United States in the mid-1800s. While she did consort with infamous characters, historians suggest her renegade reputation surpasses her actual criminal activity.
IN THESE GROUPS

FAMOUS PEOPLE BORN IN UNITED STATES
FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED ON FEBRUARY 3
FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED IN 1889
FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED IN BRIARTOWN
Show All Groups
Synopsis

Born in 1848, Belle Starr was known as an infamous outlaw in the Wild West—the western edge of the expanding United States in the second half of the 1800s. She associated with famous outlaws, like Frank and Jesse James, and was arrested several times. In recent years, however, historians have gathered data that suggests that she committed far fewer criminal acts than her legend would suggest, with the men in her life being the main purveyors of illicit acts. Belle Starr was killed in 1889, with her murderer having never been brought to justice.

Early Life and Family History

Myra Maybelle "Belle" Shirley, who later became known as Belle Starr upon her marriage to Sam Starr, was born on Feb. 5, 1848, in Carthage, Missouri. She was the daughter of John Shirley and his third wife, Elizabeth Hatfield Shirley. A pianist, Belle grew up in a household with her parents and their other children, including much older half-siblings from her father’s first marriages. Her elder brother John Addison—called Bud—influenced her greatly, as did the fact that she grew up in the years leading up to the Civil War in the contested Missouri territory. Though Belle received her education from a girl's academy, Bud taught her to use guns and ride horses, and it is believed that she joined him—unofficially—as he tried to subvert the Union’s efforts in Missouri. (The Shirley family supported the Confederacy.)

Bud died in 1864, and the Shirley family moved to the Scyene area of Texas. There, Belle met Jim Reed, marrying him in 1866. In 1868, she gave birth to her first child, whom she called Pearl. A second child, Eddie, was born in 1871.

The Legend of Belle Starr

Throughout her adult life, Belle regularly consorted with criminals. Reed and his family fled from the law numerous times before he was killed in 1874. Legend has it that Belle joined in on her husband’s nefarious activities, but there is little evidence to suggest that she did. Rather, some historians suggest that she wanted to live a life of quiet domesticity. Before Reed's death, Belle had returned to her parent's farm, leaving the marriage.

In 1880, Belle wed Sam Starr, who was Cherokee and part of the Starr gang. Together, they lived on Cherokee land, harboring criminals like Frank and Jesse James at their home. In 1883, Belle and Sam were convicted of stealing horses. Each spent nine months in jail in Detroit, then returned to Indian Territory. By this time, Belle was known as a felon, with her notoriety growing over suspicion for later crimes. She reputedly carried one or two pistols and wore gold earrings and a man’s hat with feathers, though some have argued that she lived more of a home-based life while Sam engaged in illicit activity.

Belle was arrested twice more, but was never convicted again. Sam Starr was killed in 1886, and Belle went on to live with Bill July on Cherokee land. She allegedly reformed, refusing to shelter criminals in her home. When July (whom she called July Starr) was arrested for horse theft, she did not defend him.

Death and Ensuing Mystery

Belle Starr was shot to death on February 3, 1889, near Fort Smith, Arkansas just before her 41st birthday. She had cultivated some enemies over the years—including her son Eddie and daughter Pearl, with a farmland tenant being viewed as the murder's primary suspect.

Edgar Watson, who rented land from Belle, was a fugitive wanted for murder whom she kicked off her land once she discovered his history. Authorities believed that Watson might have ambushed Belle and he was thus arrested on suspicion that he'd committed the act. Yet he was eventually released as there were no witnesses to the crime.   

In addition to a number of works inspired by Belle's life, including the 1941 film Belle Star, starring Gene Tierney, a noted biography on the Western icon was written by Glenn Shirley—Belle Star and Her Times: The Literature, the Facts, and the Legends.   

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.