Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley 3rd Quarter Sales  (Read 2273 times)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Harley 3rd Quarter Sales
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »

Seems like bad news again, 8.1% decline is the states!
The biggest hit this time was the touring bikes!
Sad state of affairs.

Hope things get better for the company Soon!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:47:37 PM by tazmun »
The "TAZMUN"

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
Re: Harley 3rd Quarter Sales
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »

Well, that should generate a lot of discussion across the financial world.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »

Here's a link to the 3rd Quarter Results release to the Press. Not a pretty picture. They're convinced that the 100 new models (revamped) over 10 years strategy is the solution. Overall industry slumped per this release as well.

http://investor.harley-davidson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=87981&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2309025

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:02:30 PM »

Actually outperformed the segment in Q3 considerably with (8.1) vs (14.3)
Alan

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:00:17 AM »

Actually outperformed the segment in Q3 considerably with (8.1) vs (14.3)

I don't quite get your meaning Alan. Quote "Harley-Davidson U.S. retail motorcycle sales were down 8.1 percent compared to the year-ago quarter, with the overall U.S. industry down 9.2 percent for the same period" - so compared to US industry, HD sucked less. The only (14.3%) statistic I saw in the press release was the reduction in 3rd Q sales compared to 2016.

Simon

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »

Shipments were down 14.3%.  Inventory adjustment.   Reaction to a declining market. 

Different industry - I worked in a declining market for some of my career. We knew each year that fewer consumers would buy products in the categories we operated in. Not fun stuff, but companies can survive it.  Total market each year drops.  Ways to maintain or grow  revenues  - 1. buy competitors  2. when competitors go out of business take their market share  3.  raise prices 4. outperform competitors. So far HD is using the 3rd option, but there is a buyer resistance point to that strategy, reading posts on this board indicates that for some (many?) they have already surpassed that price point.  HD will also have to cut costs to maintain profits.  If they don't they will not survive.

As total market for motorcycles continues to decline - and their is no indication that it will not, HD as market leader in large CC bikes is most vulnerable to losing market share.  Indian is positioned to take more market share, the HD "magic 100 new bikes" strategy is worth watching.  Depending on how severe this total market MC loss is is also an indicator of how many dealers will close.  As the old movie actress said back in the 50s:  "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

Or....the generation that follows millennials will love motorcycling, millennials as they age will see the errors of their non 2 wheeled motorized ways,  and new plants will have to be built to handle the demand.   :P
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 07:46:08 AM »

I guess raising the price of the CVO Limited was going to help. That must be why I see them sitting in the dealers with no buyers.
Bill

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 08:04:47 AM »

Raising prices is a dangerous strategy, especially when there are chronic quality problems with the products.  They can only cut costs so far, that is not sustainable.  At some point they will need to accept that the overall market is in decline, and make a better product at a more competitive price point.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 08:53:18 AM »

Still beating the drum for the "100 new models" strategy, which is funny since they don't have anywhere near 100 models currently and never did.  I'd still like to hear their definition of a "new model".  Perhaps if you count each color as a separate model?

If they continue the current policies, high prices for low quality, they won't be around long enough to dream up 100 "new" models.  Some auto companies that found themselves in similar situations tried the other approach, fire sale prices for stale low quality offerings, and that only worked in the very short term and only for the benefit of the executives.  Based on what I've seen from the past couple CEO's at Harley, it's still all about short term thinking and short term profits and compensation packages.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »

Shipments were down 14.3%.  Inventory adjustment.   Reaction to a declining market. 

Different industry - I worked in a declining market for some of my career. We knew each year that fewer consumers would buy products in the categories we operated in. Not fun stuff, but companies can survive it.  Total market each year drops.  Ways to maintain or grow  revenues  - 1. buy competitors  2. when competitors go out of business take their market share  3.  raise prices 4. outperform competitors. So far HD is using the 3rd option, but there is a buyer resistance point to that strategy, reading posts on this board indicates that for some (many?) they have already surpassed that price point.  HD will also have to cut costs to maintain profits.  If they don't they will not survive.

As total market for motorcycles continues to decline - and their is no indication that it will not, HD as market leader in large CC bikes is most vulnerable to losing market share.  Indian is positioned to take more market share, the HD "magic 100 new bikes" strategy is worth watching.  Depending on how severe this total market MC loss is is also an indicator of how many dealers will close.  As the old movie actress said back in the 50s:  "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

Or....the generation that follows millennials will love motorcycling, millennials as they age will see the errors of their non 2 wheeled motorized ways,  and new plants will have to be built to handle the demand.   :P

The have had this strategy for years.  Cutting quality to cut costs and not taking responsibility for their failed parts.  Just passing the buck and forcing the customer to pay to correct the issue.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »

The have had this strategy for years.  Cutting quality to cut costs and not taking responsibility for their failed parts.  Just passing the buck and forcing the customer to pay to correct the issue.

:oops: :nixweiss:

Yes more than a few examples of part failures are out there.  Component failures can be very costly to them in the short run in the warranty period.  After that the owner pays.  There are a huge number of bikes out there with low miles.  HD knows that, and those bikes are much less likely to fail because they are not ridden. 

On cost reductions related to sales declines, HD will eventually close plants, layoff more workers, and where possible use robotics.  They are outsourcing parts & have for years, if it's cheaper to buy it than make it.  Currently they manufacture power train components (and other components) & then ship these to other assembly plants.  Not efficient, there are reasons (unions are a part of the reason) for doing this.   If they could simply streamline some production they could save millions a year without affecting product quality.  Easier to say than to do.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 12:26:38 AM »

I don't quite get your meaning Alan. Quote "Harley-Davidson U.S. retail motorcycle sales were down 8.1 percent compared to the year-ago quarter, with the overall U.S. industry down 9.2 percent for the same period" - so compared to US industry, HD sucked less. The only (14.3%) statistic I saw in the press release was the reduction in 3rd Q sales compared to 2016.

Simon
Sorry Simon, I misread it..
Alan

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.