Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Road King Front Suspension Compatibility Issues  (Read 1827 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
2014 Road King Front Suspension Compatibility Issues
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:32:39 AM »

Ohlins states that it’s FKC 102 front suspension is not compatible with the CVO Road King.

Since I just install this suspension on my Street Glide, I was curious as to why.  So, I compared the BOM for the front forks of my 2015 Street Glide to my 2014 Road King.

I found that the Fork Sliders and the Fork Pipe Assemble were the same for both bike.  With these being the main components, I figured that the FKC’s should be able to be installed.

The only other HD components used for the install are the Oil Lock Piece and the Fork Bolt.

The Road King’s right fork utilized the same parts as my Street Glide.

The Road King’s left fork utilizes different Oil Lock Piece and Fork Bolt than my Street Glide.

So, I purchased the following:
45500215-Oil Lock Piece
45500117-Fork Bolt

With these parts I could install the Ohlins FKC 102 with springs for non-faring bikes as per the manufactures instructions.

I have also read the Progressive suspension also states it cannot be installed on CVO Road Kings.  I assume that this is the same issue.

The photo shows the parts discussed.  The botton two are the new parts

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
Re: 2014 Road King Front Suspension Compatibility Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:39:46 AM »

Thanks for posting. Very interesting. I was thinking that my next upgrade to my SERK should be the suspension. Is the difference really noticeable? The roads here in the UK in very poor condition and I can really feel every bump!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »

Thanks for posting. Very interesting. I was thinking that my next upgrade to my SERK should be the suspension. Is the difference really noticeable? The roads here in the UK in very poor condition and I can really feel every bump!!

A big difference is noticed in replacing the rear shocks.  I installed Ohlins HD159 on the rear and it really smooths out the bumps.

I then did the front and the biggest difference I noticed is that the front end rebound from breaking dives or acceleration lift is minimal.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
2014 Road King Front Suspension Compatibility Issues
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 06:25:42 PM »

I just installed the 102’s in my Street Glide and put about 1000 miles on it, wish I did it last year, now patiently waiting for the rear shocks to get here

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »

Thanks for being the guinea pig on the installation Jim.
At some point I may have to upgrade mine but I'm pretty happy with the suspension so far.
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »

Great info. Not sure if it will matter much be don't forget the SERK doesn't have the extra weight of a fairing bike on the front end.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »

Ohlins states that it’s FKC 102 front suspension is not compatible with the CVO Road King.

Since I just install this suspension on my Street Glide, I was curious as to why.  So, I compared the BOM for the front forks of my 2015 Street Glide to my 2014 Road King.

I found that the Fork Sliders and the Fork Pipe Assemble were the same for both bike.  With these being the main components, I figured that the FKC’s should be able to be installed.

The only other HD components used for the install are the Oil Lock Piece and the Fork Bolt.

The Road King’s right fork utilized the same parts as my Street Glide.

The Road King’s left fork utilizes different Oil Lock Piece and Fork Bolt than my Street Glide.

So, I purchased the following:
45500215-Oil Lock Piece
45500117-Fork Bolt

With these parts I could install the Ohlins FKC 102 with springs for non-faring bikes as per the manufactures instructions.

I have also read the Progressive suspension also states it cannot be installed on CVO Road Kings.  I assume that this is the same issue.

The photo shows the parts discussed.  The botton two are the new parts

Just think about rebuilding my CVO Road King with Ohlins front and rear. Are you quite sure that the conversion works with the mentioned parts?

Ohlins Germany has clearly said that there are no cartridges for the Road King available.  :-[

For a feedback I would be very grateful.

Thanks
gerhard
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.