Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How can I increase performance.....  (Read 4620 times)

Nad

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

How can I increase performance.....
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »

I recently purchased a new '17 CVO Street Glide. I am trying to wake it up, without breaking the bank.  I know I need a tuner, and slip-ons, at a minimum.  Any recommendations?  I was thinking V&H FP3, and I've just started looking at the Full Sac baffles.  I don't know anything about them, really.  But seems to be an economical way to go. 

Also, is it possible to remove the catalytic converter?

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Re: How can I increase performance.....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »

Do you have a warranty? Do you want to maintain it? If not, then look at the Fullsac header, baffles, and TTS tune. If you contact Fullsac they can set you up with a complete package. Forget about the Van & Hines FP3 or any other kind of stuff like that.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

Here we go.....

Because of other issues that may not develop for several thousand miles I agree with DesertHOG.  Best to leave it alone and maintain your warranty.

One thing you can do is have it dyno tuned.  If you have it tuned with the TTS you can easily return the stock download back into the bike for warranty visits.  Might have to download the stock tune prior to any service visits also.

To wake it up much more than that you need to go stage II with cams.

Just remember you didn't buy a performance motorcycle.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Nad

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 01:27:48 PM »

Thank you for the input definitely something to consider.  I do want to keep the warranty.  HD said they can do slip on's and a tune, but I haven't been very impressed with their SE parts since the law suit.  I'm not looking for a drag bike, just a bit more oomph.  I installed a 103 kit, slip on's and a TTS on my '09 SG and it had more power/performance than this CVO, by far.  A friend of mine, a former HD tech (still certified thru HD), did the work, so kept I the warranty.  I moved, and we have since lost contact.     

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 07:04:24 PM »

And this is an issue that pisses me off too.  Why do they sell a $45-50 thousand bike that can still be improved in performance for more money and be EPA and warranty legal if HD parts are installed .  Why not sell it that way up front?

Remember the Jap bikes of the 70's and 80's?  There were very few upgrades because the engineers at those companies wrung every drop of performance out of the bikes.  They still do.  Only thing you an do to a KZ or FJ is make it louder.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »

I have a FP3 and think it works exceptionally especially with only slip-ons. I have had professional tunes with TTS & Race Tuners. Never again, FP3  or similar makes more sense. Folks that don't have one just have no idea. The electronic world grows everyday.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »

And this is an issue that pisses me off too.  Why do they sell a $45-50 thousand bike that can still be improved in performance for more money and be EPA and warranty legal if HD parts are installed .  Why not sell it that way up front?

Remember the Jap bikes of the 70's and 80's?  There were very few upgrades because the engineers at those companies wrung every drop of performance out of the bikes.  They still do.  Only thing you an do to a KZ or FJ is make it louder.

MoCo makes more money selling upgrades. Also, it shifts the responsibility of failure to the customer.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »

I have a FP3 and think it works exceptionally especially with only slip-ons. I have had professional tunes with TTS & Race Tuners. Never again, FP3  or similar makes more sense. Folks that don't have one just have no idea. The electronic world grows everyday.

I'll second Don's comments on the FP3.  I went with the SERT on my '12 and actually like the FP3 on my '15.  I would do it again with no hesitation.  However, if I were going heads/cams/motor work, I would be going with the TTS. 

I did not touch my '15 with anything motor/performance related until the warranty ran out this past July.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »

It's not just the Japanese bikes of the 70's and 80's, it applies to them today. That new GoldWing will not need a TTS Dyno-Tune and exhaust to "run right", but a new Ultra will. It happens because we accept it and continue to buy the products.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »

I recently purchased a new '17 CVO Street Glide. I am trying to wake it up, without breaking the bank.  I know I need a tuner, and slip-ons, at a minimum.  Any recommendations?  I was thinking V&H FP3, and I've just started looking at the Full Sac baffles.  I don't know anything about them, really.  But seems to be an economical way to go. 

Also, is it possible to remove the catalytic converter?
As others have said, you can't go wrong with Fullsac for the best combination of performance, sound and economy. The Fullsac header pipe will solve your cat issue and using the baffle inserts you get to keep the quite attractive CVO mufflers. I went that route on my 2011 FLTRUSE and was quite pleased with the result :2vrolijk_21:.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 07:10:11 PM »

On an M8 bike, unless you don't care about your warranty, don't go with after market performance upgrades...Your dealer might be understanding up to a point but when he goes to Harley to authorize a bigger repair, good luck!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »

Being able to put it back 100% to stock is the key and that will not happen with a FP3 or a PV . The digital tech is running a program in the back ground that the dealer is  doing  . Owners have voided power train and do not know it .  I work with a few dealers in this area an it has bitten them all ready . So unless you use a tuner like the TTS that I know for a fact will not show up be prepared to pay if you have an issue.

And when I say I know this we tested it . Meaning tuned a bike dealer did its thing and we waited to see if it got flagged it did not. The dealer can in fact check this if they go through the process .

the 18 CVO 117 bikes are a different  No air cleaner , no slip on no street tuner no nothing EPA or other wise  . That is the deal on that bike.. 

I do not agree with much of any of this but not like we make the rules MOCO does and its hurting the dealers in the process as well .
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Durwood

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Sheffer Performance H-D
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »

Being able to put it back 100% to stock is the key and that will not happen with a FP3 or a PV . The digital tech is running a program in the back ground that the dealer is  doing  . Owners have voided power train and do not know it .  I work with a few dealers in this area an it has bitten them all ready . So unless you use a tuner like the TTS that I know for a fact will not show up be prepared to pay if you have an issue.

And when I say I know this we tested it . Meaning tuned a bike dealer did its thing and we waited to see if it got flagged it did not. The dealer can in fact check this if they go through the process .

the 18 CVO 117 bikes are a different  No air cleaner , no slip on no street tuner no nothing EPA or other wise  . That is the deal on that bike.. 

I do not agree with much of any of this but not like we make the rules MOCO does and its hurting the dealers in the process as well .
Power Vision doesn't show on the digital tech as long as the guy doing the tuning knows what to do, confirmed this with the SM and lead tech at a local dealer which are my friends.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »

your are correct the dealer cannot see it. However that is not what I am talking about and it has been confirmed now more than once and power train warranty voided by MOCO dealer was unaware. SO how did that happen??  Not going to get into it on a level of PV is better or worse just stating what I know to be factual .. It showed factory cal on the DT .   
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »

so what you are saying is that the DT is running a program in the background that is sending data direct to the mo co as to the state of the e c m - and not telling the dealer anything??

if that is the case then the mo co must not trust the dealers and is now checking the state of the e c m themselves directly?

personally knowing dealer little white lies to mo co about warranty work......

to
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 21 queries.