Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Extended Warranty. To buy again or not?  (Read 5510 times)

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
Re: Extended Warranty. To buy again or not?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »

41,000 + miles on the original lifters!

I just got home from a 6800 mile road trip & will be changing the oil this week. If there is no evidence of any metal in the oil, I just might run these lifters a few more miles! I was considering changing them out, just don't know if this would be the right move.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »

Lifters went and took out the engine. There were metal shavings everywhere. They asked for a comparison between rebuilding and replacement. After the adjuster looked at it, they agreed to do the replacement.

It seemed to take a little time to accomplish but I can't say if it the insurance company or the dealer or both that caused the delay. It did however get cometed at zero out of pocket, no deductible.

The bike is back in the shop now to replace the lifters on the new engine after 650 miles. That is the MoCo problem now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
wow, thankful you had esp!!

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »

wow, thankful you had esp!!
You can say that again! This is the first ESP I bought on anything.  I always skip buying them as they usually just make money for the insurance company. That's why you can't buy a screw driver without someone trying to sell an extended warranty.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »

I just got home from a 6800 mile road trip & will be changing the oil this week. If there is no evidence of any metal in the oil, I just might run these lifters a few more miles! I was considering changing them out, just don't know if this would be the right move.
Seems like your story is the total opposite of mine. I put 8000 miles on and the engine went.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »

My 09 CVO RG lifters failed at 46K miles.  My 15 CVO RGU with the improved lifters had lifter failure at 44K miles, bike as right at 2 years old.  Motor had to be replaced, glad it was under warranty.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Glenncarp

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »

I'm looking for opinions on to buy another extended warranty. Not looking to purchase another CVO  but my 2011 CVO Ultra Classic's warranty will be running out in January 2018. It presently has 41,000 miles on it with original lifters. I've had very few problems with it but now as the miles rise, the potential is there to start having more problems.

A 4 year extended warranty without tire & wheel would cost $3400. $78 per month.

I'm leaning on replacing the lifters & then roll the dice as far as future problems.

Just looking for everyone thoughts about this.

Thanks & Ride Safe!

Dan

Had my '11 SERGU crap a lifter on day 2 of a 7 day road trip. HD dealer first changed spark plugs and said it was good to go. Lol. Got to end of dealer parking lot and check engine light came back on. Had extended warranty, could have had engine pretty much replaced, choose to buy '16 SERGU instead. My decision was based on value of '11 at time Vs waiting 2 more years and adding many more miles (had 41K on it) to then trade it in. That made my decision.

I'd say if you plan on keeping the bike, the extended warranty is worth it, maybe not at that price, only because you may not have $2,500 laying around if something fails on the bike and the payment plan helps with that.

I am an insurance adjuster, EVERY day I meet people who are using their insurance, and wished they had bought more or better coverage.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 01:07:04 AM »

I wouldn't wait for the original lifters to go; might be somewhere you don't want to sit around for days on end--like on a road trip.  They don't show metal in the oil until it's too late.

You also have the option to spend that $3400 towards a 117 kit /rebuild kit that would in many ways start you off with a new motor. Jerry is correct, if other things go wrong it will be small stuff.
I replaced the lifters and inner cam bearings on mine at 38K miles.  Bike has 47K on it now and runs great.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »

I wouldn't wait for the original lifters to go; might be somewhere you don't want to sit around for days on end--like on a road trip.  They don't show metal in the oil until it's too late.
I replaced the lifters and inner cam bearings on mine at 38K miles.  Bike has 47K on it now and runs great.

That's the one problem with warranty work. They don't pay for preventive maintenance. They only pay when there's a failure.

DH

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 10:03:45 AM »

That's the one problem with warranty work. They don't pay for preventive maintenance. They only pay when there's a failure.

DH
agreed :nixweiss:

Glenncarp

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 05:10:37 PM »

agreed :nixweiss:

No "insurance" pays for maintenance. All pay for most "sudden and accidental" events. The theory is if you "maintain" your stuff, it won't suddenly break

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 01:10:36 AM »

No "insurance" pays for maintenance. All pay for most "sudden and accidental" events. The theory is if you "maintain" your stuff, it won't suddenly break
:zroflmao:

DH

Very true.  OP is trying to decide if he wants to buy another ESP.  My thinking is to replace lifters, or do 117 kit with good lifters--either way, get better value than the ESP provides unless something bigger (trans, crank) goes bad.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Powergod

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2016 Breakout
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »

I have never had the extended warranty I guess I’m just tempiting fate.
If you can read this thank a teacher, if it's in English thank a soldier.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »

Check prices with Jim Palmer at Boardtracker H-D.  He runs a separate website for his ESP:  www.discountesp.com

X-2 on Boardtracker. It's a "Corrnerstone" ESP. Same company undewrites   for Artic Cat & Suzuki.  Mine paid off like clockwork and 0 deductible, I will buy another one when mine runs out 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 03:47:59 PM »

X-2 on Boardtracker. It's a "Corrnerstone" ESP. Same company undewrites   for Artic Cat & Suzuki.  Mine paid off like clockwork and 0 deductible, I will buy another one when mine runs out
Be aware of some changes to the ESP contract they offer.  I just purchased a stand alone tire & wheel from them for my new Tri-Glide.  When I received the contract by email I noticed $ limitations on what it would pay per incident and for the life of the contract.  I also noticed it was not Cornerstone.  Further conversation with Jim's admin person, Kathy, revealed that they switched carriers earlier this year for an ESP administered by First Extended Service Corp. out of Chicago.  Reason being that Cornerstone could not write ESPs in California or Florida - two VERY big markets for sure and the new administrator could write there.

BUT with that being said they can STILL write Cornerstone ESP everywhere except CA and FL so Kathy voided the contract and issued a new one by Cornerstone.

Now this pertained to the tire and wheel only.  I had her send me the mechanical contract from First Extended and a from a cursory reading and further discussion with Kathy I think it is OK.  But the tire and wheel coverage by them is too limited imo.

So discuss with Kathy or Jim which contract would be best for you.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

All I can go by is my own experience... Had the 7 years plan on my '08 Duracell and when I got close to 100k on the dial I looked into extending the warranty for a second time before it was too late... Combination of years and mileage making purchasing it impossible once you go over the mark.

Up to that point I had very little go wrong with my bike, but was concerned with the miles adding up, so I paid $1,700 to extend the warranty for another 3 years, giving me a total of 10 years of warranty.

3 months after purchasing it ended up in the shop and thankfully the $3,000. + repair was fully covered.  Since then I've had 2 more claims for electrical problems, so I'm real happy that I went for the added insurance of extending the warranty.

Good luck!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.