Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front Tubes: A tale of two cities  (Read 2477 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Front Tubes: A tale of two cities
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »

So I knew it was time to change because something was wrong. After much searching and some input from guys here (Boatman) and others had the shop to tear apart the front end. Much to my surprise it already had a Progressive system in it! Do since they have a lifetime warranty problem solved, right? Well no. I don't have the receipt so Progressive will not honor the warranty (both cylinder tubes were locked up) very strange. So after a conversation with the manufacturer about why it happened and why they wouldnot warranty the item, we moved on. I asked since they would not honor if I could get some type of discount since I have a defective product. Nothing zilch, thought that was pretty crappy so beware. So I call Boatman's guy about a Legends Axeo system. It was more money but I got a deal and shop put them on and adjusted them. Couple of hundred miles so far and love them. Front end just glides around until you push it and then it really responds. Harley guys at the shope that rode it like it better than the 2018 models. Would I buy again, absolutely, from Progressive, NEVER!

BigLew

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Front Tubes: A tale of two cities
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »

:(
Don't blame ya at all.  One would think that Progressive would try to salvage some (customer goodwill).  Maybe have you ship those locked up parts to them and let them assess what happened.  Whatever the cause,  at least give you some slack on parts to remedy the problem.

Now,  they have to deal with bad publicity and no only you not buying from them,  but many other of us on the site will look for other options as a result of your experience. :drink:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »

I know, first time I've run across that in a while. I'm usually a easy guy to get along with, but they wouldn't budge. Im in the sales customer service business. I was flabbergasted! Buyer beware!

BigLew

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:09:53 PM »

I think you made the right decision anyhow, when I was looking at front suspension upgrades, the Legends seemed to be better built compared to the Progressives, there was a lot of videos on YouTube showing the differences, I ended up going with the Ohlin's, just because I had extra money to throw at them ;D and to match the rear.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 05:12:41 PM »

Cool!

BigLew

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »

Find someone that bought the Progressives and has since got rid of the bike but still has his reciept. A little copy machine magic and there you go.
A reciept should not be required on a lifetime item. A one or two year warranty I can see, but not a lifetime.
Also did you check with whoever you bought them from to see if a duplicate could be obtained?

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »

Find someone that bought the Progressives and has since got rid of the bike but still has his reciept. A little copy machine magic and there you go.
A reciept should not be required on a lifetime item. A one or two year warranty I can see, but not a lifetime.
Also did you check with whoever you bought them from to see if a duplicate could be obtained?
No to all of the above. It was back in 2010-11. I was really taken back by there attitude. But I've moved on. Will not sing the praise of their company especially since the parts broke.

BigLew

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »

I was just getting ready to get front and rear Progressives, over a Grand total but I'ts good to know how they treat their customers.  Now perhaps I'll keep looking.

Where can I score a set of Harley take off air shocks?
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

jcd520

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:51:28 PM »

Thanks big lew!!!!
I was about to go progressives on my new ride..........not now!
I think ill go with ohlins instead.
Ditto on the lifetime warranty......all they had to do was let you ship them.....verify it was their product and replace it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »

I was just getting ready to get front and rear Progressives, over a Grand total but I'ts good to know how they treat their customers.  Now perhaps I'll keep looking.

Where can I score a set of Harley take off air shocks?

Where does an 800lb gorilla sleep?  Anywhere he wants....sorry....

You can store them anywhere since they are made for weather extremes.  However, make sure you store them upright and with the air inlet covered!  If you lean/lay them down, oil will leak out and they are toast at that point....good for only door stops and paper weights...yes, I know from experience... :bananarock:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:47:10 AM by Haird »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »

Where does an 800lb gorilla sleep?  Anywhere he wants....sorry....

You can store them anywhere since they are made for weather extremes.  However, make sure you store them upright and with the air inlet covered!  If you lean/lay them down, oil will leak out and they are toast at that point....good for only door stops and paper weights...yes, I know from experience... :bananarock:

I believe he said "score", not store, as set of air shocks.

I would think that just about anyone here would have their takeoffs as they're not worth very much.  Myself, I'm keeping my 12" air shocks because "IF" I trade in, the bike is not worth any more with aftermarket shocks over the original stock HD shocks.

I do agree though that if you lay down an air shock the oil will leak out.  At work we use the push lock air fittings and they make solid plastic push in plugs that are used to seal off disconnected air lines.  I just pushed a pair into mine and problem solved.  Or if you have some extra air line, just put in a short piece and then fold over the end and cable tie it folded over and that will not leak.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »

I believe he said "score", not store, as set of air shocks.

Time to change my glasses prescription..... ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »

Thanks for the update.

Glad you got it sorted out.

In the long run you are better off with the Legends. If I was you I would send a thank you note to Progressive thanking them for steering you in that direction.

Jim

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »

Never had anything from Progressive and don't want their stuff.  I've seen too many failures of shocks and cartridges to make me stay far away from them.  Glad you got the Legend Axeo cartridges and unlike Progressive Legend does stand behind their products.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »

now, maybe you can hang with us in the curves a little better. dem rice burners won't hafda change thar drawers.   :huepfenlol2:  glad ya got your front end straightened out. hope your doing well. give Suzy a big "bear" hug from all of us here ( larry susan, melinda & I)
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.