Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 28 year Harley rider including a CVO switch!  (Read 4172 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
28 year Harley rider including a CVO switch!
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »

The CVO forum has been one of my favorite places to go for accurate information about my bikes. Unfortunately I chose 07 to buy a CVO ultra, the issues and cost associated with that bike were unreal. Then I bought a 14 Ultra Limited, leaked coolant 3 times my first month of ownership. Spent a ton on the bike, loved the Daytona Blue paint. Sold it, or should I say, gave it away. Needed a lighter, less top heavy bike, easier to maneuver due to medical reasons, thought my riding days were over.

Then the 18 models gave me the bug, missed having a bike big time.

When I saw the 18 BMW K1600B bagger I liked what I saw, when I test rode it, I feel in love.

Much lighter, fit the bill as they say. 741 lbs wet, has reverse, a biggie for me. Really good suspension, beyond anything I had ever experienced, smooth as silk on the freeway, handles like a dream. Corners more like a sport bike than touring. Then the power, 6cyl putting out 160hp and 129 lb torque. 70% of the torque at 1500 rpm.

A great GPS system that removes for easy trip mapping and free lifetime updates. Complete keyless system, really good Bluetooth system, traction control, linked Brembo brakes, a fantastic self leveling headlight system. Clutchless shifting option, tire pressure monitoring, heated seats and grips, On and on. For the same price as a road glide special. Plus you get a 3 year warranty ( paid $1500 to upgrade to 6 years, no deductible and unlimited mileage ).

Still would love to own another Harley, maybe a used softail if it's ever in the budget. Just wanted to explain why I bought a non Harley after all these years. I gotta say, every time I ride this BMW I'm grinning ear to ear, it's such a fine machine.

Hope it's OK to lurk around on the great CVO site.

Scott

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 28 year Harley rider including a CVO switch!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »

To coin a phrase, "It doesn't matter what you ride. It matters that you ride." Enjoy your ride.    :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »

To coin a phrase, "It doesn't matter what you ride. It matters that you ride." Enjoy your ride.    :2vrolijk_21:
Thank you Greg, it was killing me this past summer not having a bike. My wife could tell how much I missed riding, she encouraged me to buy a bike. She even wrote the check.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »

Now that's a wonderful wife!  :2vrolijk_21:  I don't think I could go without my Harley.... or my Porsche... or my guitars... or my snow skis. Maybe I'm compensating for something.   :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »

It’s not the bike you ride but who is riding the bike.

I’ll ride with you anytime but you have to buy the first round....second round........... :drink: :drink:
because I have to save my money to keep my CVO on the road.

Good luck with BMW,

Cat

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:34:47 PM »

My 2014 K1600GT is parked next to my Harley Road Glide in my garage.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »

It’s not the bike you ride but who is riding the bike.

I’ll ride with you anytime but you have to buy the first round....second round........... :drink: :drink:
because I have to save my money to keep my CVO on the road.

Good luck with BMW,

Cat
Thank you, if you ever have a chance, test ride the new K1600B.

Happy to buy the drinks

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »

My 2014 K1600GT is parked next to my Harley Road Glide in my garage.
I still wear some of my Harley garb on the bmw....wife says I'm a cross dresser :)

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 12:07:37 AM »

I still wear some of my Harley garb on the bmw....wife says I'm a cross dresser :)

BMW doesn't make gear big enough for me. Harley does. I ride my K1600 with Harley gear. It confuses most folks :)

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:07:12 AM »

Thank you Greg, it was killing me this past summer not having a bike. My wife could tell how much I missed riding, she encouraged me to buy a bike. She even wrote the check.

My wife accepted defeat years ago - I managed almost 6 months once without a bike when we were young, times were hard and cash was in short supply. She swears "never again!".

Congrats on the new bike, I had a K1600GT Sport between my 2013 Streetglide and my current 2015 CVO Streetglide.  At the time I decided I was missing the "character" of the Harley but having tried the updated K1600 I'm now thinking I may switch back next year, it's a very different motor to the HD but it's some kind of awesome and the recent updates have all been useful improvements. I've not tried the B yet but think I'd probably go for the GT Sport again. I'll miss the Streetglide in many ways, but there's a lot to be said for less weight, more power, less heat, better suspension/tyres/brakes, better fuel range, reverse gear, electric screen,.. and that motor is nice.   

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »

My wife accepted defeat years ago - I managed almost 6 months once without a bike when we were young, times were hard and cash was in short supply. She swears "never again!".

Congrats on the new bike, I had a K1600GT Sport between my 2013 Streetglide and my current 2015 CVO Streetglide.  At the time I decided I was missing the "character" of the Harley but having tried the updated K1600 I'm now thinking I may switch back next year, it's a very different motor to the HD but it's some kind of awesome and the recent updates have all been useful improvements. I've not tried the B yet but think I'd probably go for the GT Sport again. I'll miss the Streetglide in many ways, but there's a lot to be said for less weight, more power, less heat, better suspension/tyres/brakes, better fuel range, reverse gear, electric screen,.. and that motor is nice.   
You nailed it. Still have a soft spot for Harleys, if money was no object I'd own both.

Harley, in my opinion really needs to upgrade there frame and suspension.

I am so impressed by my new BMW bagger, being able to adjust your suspension electronically with a simple switch between a super smooth ride or firm sport ride, simple adjustment for one up, two up or fully packed. Adjustments to full control based wether I'm in rain, cruising down the freeway or riding twisty back roads. You need this when you have 160hp and 129 lb torque at your control. Doesn't mean you need to ride aggressive to appreciate,  70% of the torque is available at 1500 rpm.

This is not a bike that needs a single performance upgrade. The motor, suspension, brakes will satisfy right off the showroom floor. The exceptional lighting system, available Garmin navigation system, keyless locking, clutchless shifting, reverse, information system including tire pressure readout as you ride, oil level check, temp gauge, on and on. In my opinion  it's better equipped than a CVO at close to half the price. You do give up chrome and Harleys hallmark paint along with the sound.

Sorry for the long post

mark

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »

The CVO forum has been one of my favorite places to go for accurate information about my bikes. Unfortunately I chose 07 to buy a CVO ultra, the issues and cost associated with that bike were unreal. Then I bought a 14 Ultra Limited, leaked coolant 3 times my first month of ownership. Spent a ton on the bike, loved the Daytona Blue paint. Sold it, or should I say, gave it away. Needed a lighter, less top heavy bike, easier to maneuver due to medical reasons, thought my riding days were over.

Then the 18 models gave me the bug, missed having a bike big time.

When I saw the 18 BMW K1600B bagger I liked what I saw, when I test rode it, I feel in love.

Much lighter, fit the bill as they say. 741 lbs wet, has reverse, a biggie for me. Really good suspension, beyond anything I had ever experienced, smooth as silk on the freeway, handles like a dream. Corners more like a sport bike than touring. Then the power, 6cyl putting out 160hp and 129 lb torque. 70% of the torque at 1500 rpm.

A great GPS system that removes for easy trip mapping and free lifetime updates. Complete keyless system, really good Bluetooth system, traction control, linked Brembo brakes, a fantastic self leveling headlight system. Clutchless shifting option, tire pressure monitoring, heated seats and grips, On and on. For the same price as a road glide special. Plus you get a 3 year warranty ( paid $1500 to upgrade to 6 years, no deductible and unlimited mileage ).

Still would love to own another Harley, maybe a used softail if it's ever in the budget. Just wanted to explain why I bought a non Harley after all these years. I gotta say, every time I ride this BMW I'm grinning ear to ear, it's such a fine machine.

Hope it's OK to lurk around on the great CVO site.

Scott

I too have drooled over the BMW K1600B.  My only complaint is they don't seem make a removable trunk and I'm not sure if you can add a rider's backrest to the seat. 

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »

I too have drooled over the BMW K1600B.  My only complaint is they don't seem make a removable trunk and I'm not sure if you can add a rider's backrest to the seat.

There is supposed to be a solution for the trunk on a K1600B coming. If you consider the K1600GT it can accept a removable trunk. To get a backrest you will likely need to look at a custom seat option. While I have a backrest on my Russell Day-Long seat, I rode the bike without a backrest for a while without issue. The rider position is very comfortable, even without the backrest.

DH

BigLock

• Elite CVO Member
  • CVO1 2012
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:57:04 AM »

Injoy your new ride and keep us updated on it.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »

You failed to mention that almost everything you mentioned the bike having is an "option". Price everyone on line is throwing around (not here) is for a "stripper" not one equipped as you described.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.