Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 28 year Harley rider including a CVO switch!  (Read 4163 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 28 year Harley rider including a CVO switch!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 03:39:17 PM »

You failed to mention that almost everything you mentioned the bike having is an "option". Price everyone on line is throwing around (not here) is for a "stripper" not one equipped as you described.
True, you can order the way you want it, mine has all but one option, the center stand. OTD I paid $24,300. Plus sales tax, license and a $85 doc fee. About the same as a new Road Glide Special. Not much more than a basic Road glide. Especially if you are paying for dealer setup and for a ESP on the Harley to match my BMW. ( I paid $1500 to bring me up to 6 years, unlimited miles and no deductible). End of the day price between the K1600B and the Road Glide were close enough not to matter. The difference in features, performance, ride, handling, no comparison.

I do realize that maintenance cost will probably be a third higher on the BMW.

Can't say it enough, not knocking Harleys, still like them, just showing my thought process.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 05:55:51 AM »

You failed to mention that almost everything you mentioned the bike having is an "option". Price everyone on line is throwing around (not here) is for a "stripper" not one equipped as you described.

Last time I looked at prices for the K1600GT Sport (following a conversation with the local BMW dealer) the prices stacked up like this:

£19,265 - K1600GT Sport - includes dynamic electronic suspension adjustment, dynamic traction control, reverse gear, abs pro, adaptive headlight
  £1,455 - Comfort Plus Package - £1,455 - includes keyless ride, gearshift assist pro, central locking, additional led fog lights, alarm - this is the only package option
  £1,100 - Audio system with prep for Nav
        £0 - low seat option
    £295 - Intelligent emergency call

So if you wanted everything that comes to  £22,125 but you'd also have to buy a nav unit to slot in (£625!) so that brings it to £22,750

In the UK the current list price for a Street Glide Special is £21,995, the CVO Street Glide is £31,595.  Plus of course the cost of the obligatory stage 1... 

Given that the prices above include equipment on the BMW (standard and optional) that aren't even available as options on the Harleys then I think the BMW still wins on value for money and performance.  Maintenance costs in the UK between HD and BMW are similar, but there are no lifter or compensator concerns on the BM.  As far as resale goes then I reckon a Street Glide special would do better than the K1600, but depreciation on the CVO would be worse.     

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »

Last time I looked at prices for the K1600GT Sport (following a conversation with the local BMW dealer) the prices stacked up like this:

£19,265 - K1600GT Sport - includes dynamic electronic suspension adjustment, dynamic traction control, reverse gear, abs pro, adaptive headlight
  £1,455 - Comfort Plus Package - £1,455 - includes keyless ride, gearshift assist pro, central locking, additional led fog lights, alarm - this is the only package option
  £1,100 - Audio system with prep for Nav
        £0 - low seat option
    £295 - Intelligent emergency call

So if you wanted everything that comes to  £22,125 but you'd also have to buy a nav unit to slot in (£625!) so that brings it to £22,750

In the UK the current list price for a Street Glide Special is £21,995, the CVO Street Glide is £31,595.  Plus of course the cost of the obligatory stage 1... 

Given that the prices above include equipment on the BMW (standard and optional) that aren't even available as options on the Harleys then I think the BMW still wins on value for money and performance.  Maintenance costs in the UK between HD and BMW are similar, but there are no lifter or compensator concerns on the BM.  As far as resale goes then I reckon a Street Glide special would do better than the K1600, but depreciation on the CVO would be worse.   
Will be interesting to see how the new baggers do on resale? Everyone that has looked at my K1600B has really liked the style, those that ride motorcycles love the features, especially the 160hp 6cyl.

Here in the states, used motorcycle sales generally have been soft, there are more used Harley Davidson touring model bikes available than anything.

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »

True, you can order the way you want it, mine has all but one option, the center stand. OTD I paid $24,300. Plus sales tax, license and a $85 doc fee. About the same as a new Road Glide Special. Not much more than a basic Road glide. Especially if you are paying for dealer setup and for a ESP on the Harley to match my BMW. ( I paid $1500 to bring me up to 6 years, unlimited miles and no deductible). End of the day price between the K1600B and the Road Glide were close enough not to matter. The difference in features, performance, ride, handling, no comparison.

I do realize that maintenance cost will probably be a third higher on the BMW.

Can't say it enough, not knocking Harleys, still like them, just showing my thought process.

That alone is a dang good deal.  You CAN'T get that through HD for that price with no deductible.  Plus at 160 or so hp, there is no need for any performance modifications that would void any type warranty.

They are just made for taller individuals than myself or I would have had a K1200LT in my stable many moons ago....

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »

That alone is a dang good deal.  You CAN'T get that through HD for that price with no deductible.  Plus at 160 or so hp, there is no need for any performance modifications that would void any type warranty.

They are just made for taller individuals than myself or I would have had a K1200LT in my stable many moons ago....
Thanks, the new K1600B with the low seat works for some with your dilemma. Have also read post indicating that you can drop the bagger another half inch without any issues.

The GT and GTL were to tall for me, it was the lower height and style of the B that got my attention. It was the performance, ride, handling and  comfort that sold me.

Good luck whatever you ride

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »

Congratulations on a fantastic bike. You say you would like to own another Harley someday, not sure why you would. You may have better luck if you stop buying the first model year after Harley makes major changes. Just a thought. Good luck with the new ride.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.