Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Dyno run  (Read 1554 times)

CaptG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
First Dyno run
« on: November 08, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »

Took the bike in to the local shop and had a new rear tire put on.   While there, I had a power commander V installed and the recommended map for this motor from power commander downloaded.   I told the mechanic not to tune it in more than the base map because I will be installing cams and whatever else I may be inclined to do to it over the winter.   When I got the bike a month ago it was stock except for Python 2 into 2 pipes.   I put a couple hundred miles on it and it ran good but had the popping on decel.    I want a base to work from and I can tweek to power commander after cams and whatever else and will have it dynoed again in the spring.   I rode it home today and just adding pc5 with base canned map, acceleration is improved by seat of pants and faster time it takes to reach shift point.    Decel popping is almost gone.   So far, so good.  I will keep you appraised of the progress in the spring.    I am attaching the Dyno sheet. 
HP at 91.3 and torque is 107.46
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:23:01 PM by CaptG »
Gary

2007 CVO  FXSTSSE

2006 VRSCR Street Rod

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: First Dyno run
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »

Your tune is too rich on the bottom end and too lean on the top end.   If the WOT pull shown is an indication of the tune you should verify cruising and idle so you don’t foul out plugs while u decide on your end build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CaptG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »

Unbalanced, thank you for the reply.   I am going to use this Dyno run as a base to compare the difference after I change cams and do whatever I else I decide to change over the winter.  I’ll do another dyno run in the spring and tweak everything in at that time.  I’ll post those results along with list of changes then.  Won’t be doing any more riding until spring here in Michigan.   It’s a brisk 22 degrees right now and I gave up riding in the cold many years ago.  I know, I’m a pansy, but a comfortable pansy. 😎
Gary

2007 CVO  FXSTSSE

2006 VRSCR Street Rod

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »

Using that chart as a baseline doesn’t tell you much in the end.  You would have to tune the current configuration and then tune the modified engine to have any kind of meaningful comparison.  The canned tune you have now is a long way from a proper tune.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »

I told the mechanic not to tune it in more than the base map because I will be installing cams and whatever else I may be inclined to do to it over the winter. 
Why did you put the tuner on if you didn't want it to run right? You could have done it all at one time. Your AFR is all over the board.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

CaptG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 08:00:46 PM »

I understand the AFR is all over the board and it’s not that I don’t want it to run right, I do.   It is winter in Michigan and my bikes will not be ridden again until spring, not that I don’t want to ride, but because it is too freakin cold and I outgrew the urge to freeze myself.   This bike is new to me and I want to know what it is putting out now, before I change cams, tb, and any thing else I decide I want to add or change over the winter while I have it apart.  When I take it back to the dyno in the spring it will be tuned spot on and I will know exactly what I have gained and at what cost to me.   Don’t mean to sound snippy, but it is my plan and I am sticking to it.   I just thought others might be interested in seeing before and after dyno sheets.   
Gary

2007 CVO  FXSTSSE

2006 VRSCR Street Rod

CaptG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 11:48:07 PM »

Winter work done.   kuryakin crusher cams, S&S lifters, adjustable push rods, cam plate, oil pump, cam bearings, Fuelling oval  behives with titanium keepers, rocker lockers, .030 head gaskets.   Checked crank runout and indicator needle didn’t budge.   I’m a retired tool and die maker so I know how to read gages and indicators. Double checked and reset indicator.  No needle movement.  I got a good crank.    Bike came with python 2 into 2 pipes, but when I removed them there is a small crossover piece welded in just after last curve.  Took it to local shop for Dyno tune, not H. D. dealer but he does specialize in Harley’s.  When done Dyno shows 104 hp and 119 torque.  I was disappointed with hp numbers but tuner said his Dyno is stingy and usually shows 10 to 12 hp less than a bike that has a tune done at H. D. dealer then ran on his Dyno. Tuner was impressed with torque and said he did a 6th gear pull when all tuned and Bike was at 142 mph on Dyno when torque dropped off.  I will admit when I drove it, it jumps and pulls hard.  Real hard.  Bottom line is I am real happy with it.   Rides nice and civil but will really jump when I roll on the throttle.  Just what I was looking for.  I know a bigger tb will wake it up even more, but for now I don’t see the need for what I want.   Thanks for reading, all comments welcome and appreciated. 
Gary

2007 CVO  FXSTSSE

2006 VRSCR Street Rod

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.