Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Key Fob  (Read 5012 times)

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
Key Fob
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »

Last week could only lock and unlock the bike using the buttons on the key fob.  When attempted to start, the message ENTER PIN was displayed in the odometer window.  When this happened, was standing right beside the bike.  Changed the battery in the key fob with the same results, no start and only lock and unlock would work.  Went to local dealer and after talking with parts and service personnel, a new key fob was ordered, about 10 day delivery time.  The service department stated that there was another key fob replaced for the same reason.  Have a 2016 Street Glide CVO and wondering if will need to replace the key fob every two years or so or not?  Luckily have a spare that am using now. :nixweiss: :confused5:

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Key Fob
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »

While you are waiting......disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes and then reattach the connections and see if the issue goes away.

If you don’t know how to enter the code manually you should consider learning. Re enter the code and see if you have solved the issue. If not the new key fob will be along shortly. 

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:08:11 PM by CVOStreetglide »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »

So it works withe the second fob? When my fob battery was low I got the same message. Changed batter and all is good.
Bill

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 09:26:37 PM »

Should have mentioned that just prior to this happening had changed the battery in the key fob.  Like to do this about the same time that the time change happens.  Did start the bike using the pin override before swapped to the spare key fob.  Had read on this forum that the bike battery might be a factor in this also if the voltage is a bit lower.  Since purchased have always kept it on a trickle charger but do not know how long the bike sat at the dealership.  Would think that should get a bit more than 2 years on a battery though.   :confused5:

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »

I was having poor/intermittent fob operations for over a year.  Replaced fob battery every couple months.

I then unplugged and plugged in the antenna which is under the seat and now works as it is supposed to. 

FWIW

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »

Did you make sure that battery in the fob is in correctly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »

If I understood the OP the fob still works to lock and unlock the bags, etc., but does not communicate with the security system.  If that's the case, it sounds like the battery must still have enough juice to send a signal to the lock module.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:52:43 AM »

If I understood the OP the fob still works to lock and unlock the bags, etc., but does not communicate with the security system.  If that's the case, it sounds like the battery must still have enough juice to send a signal to the lock module.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
Oops, missed that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 05:28:04 AM »

On my 2016 the last few months I was having big and embarrassing issue (alarm going off) about 90% of the time with the bike not recognizing the fob (s).  Tried everything with no luck.  Finally made it down to dealer and they tested fobs.  Secondary fob was not sending any signal and day to day fob was intermittent.  2 new ordered.  What I consider my second fob was not even recognized by the Harley computer system and its code number that gets entered in to pair with the bike?  So strange that 2 fobs would go.  Second fob was not even kept near the bike other then when traveling.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 09:57:48 AM »

I have had a few odd things happen with my Fob as well.  One thing I started to do (read this here on the forum) was hold the fob lower towards the bike seat.  Since I started to do that I have had no more issues. I hate the two Fobs (lots of posts about that) but I now have a strap that I hook to my belt loop which is long enough that both fobs are together and safely in my front pocket which seems to work fine with the bike. Maybe because it is closer to the antenna as well.  I change the battery when I start to notice issues like the alarm will beep once when getting her straightened up etc.  I know anything can happen but one thing I wonder about is if the fob is really able to handle weather like rain and cold. I try to protect them as best as I can.

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  When changed the battery in the original key fob, did make sure that the polarity was correct.  Also noticed that had to push a bit harder on the unlock/lock buttons but this may have nothing to do with anything.  Today took the seat off and unplugged the antenna and then plugged it back in as suggested.  Did notice that the antenna was "pointing into the bike", the plug was toward the right side.  Removed it from the slider and rerouted such that the plug is now in the center of the bike.  Might not make much difference but noticed the power wires appeared to be "dented" which is why rerouted the antenna anyway.  The replacement key fob is here and will be matched to the motorcycle this weekend along with other items that are still under warranty.   :confused5: :nixweiss: 

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »

Just got off phone with Service Manager at dealer.  They went to order new fobs and there is a service bulletin for 2016 CVO fobs.  Apparently the batteries are not making proper contact in the fob and HD's fix is to send out an insert to go in the fob to ensure proper contact by the battery.  Only if that fix does not work will they replace the fobs under warranty.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »

Precision workmanship strikes again!  ;)   In the "good ol' days" we had shims to compensate for tolerance issues, but in modern times with modern tooling and statistical process controls they've fallen out of favor.  Since button batteries are made to some pretty tight tolerances, the issue is obviously with the fob.  Wonder where they are made?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:54:10 PM »

Seems that timing is everything!  Last week called the dealership and was informed that the new key fob had arrived.  Today called again to see if they had heard of this service bulletin, had not, but will see if anything has been sent.  Asked to get two of the "spacers" or "inserts" so can install them in the two fobs.  Guess there have been a number of reports about this also for the MOCO to issue a service bulletin so quickly.  Never enough time to do it right the first time but plenty for the second, third, fourth and so on though!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »

An other fitment issue.... surprise
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:34:04 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 22 queries.