Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 CUSE4 - Wiring for seat heater  (Read 761 times)

JamesT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

2009 CUSE4 - Wiring for seat heater
« on: December 10, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »

I haven't used my seat heater for about 2 years.
At the beginning of this year I had a new amp installed on my stereo.
The other day I was riding to work and decided to turn on the seat heater. After a while the radio went off, blinkers went out and who knows what else, I was driving about 65mph. Then things would go back on, then off again. I finally turned off the seat heater and everything was good.

{Edit} The headlight was on and the instrument lights were on, when the other things stopped working.

So, did the installer tap into the same circuit for the seat heater for the amp? Is it possible? I don't have a wiring diagram.
Seems like it is a thermal circuit breaker, because it went off and on.
Is there another circuit up front that I can tell him to tie into?

TIA
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:14:00 PM by JamesT »
--James
2009 CUSE4

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: 2009 CUSE4 - Wiring for seat heater
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »

Sounds like he did tap in to that circuit.

Depending on the amp and its power requirements you may be better off taping into the cigarette lighter.

Jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2009 CUSE4 - Wiring for seat heater
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:07:48 AM »

Was this new amp a replacement for the stock amp, or in addition to the stock amp.  The reason I ask is, if a replacement, why not use the existing amp circuit?  Yes, the connection is at the rear of the bike instead of the fairing, but that doesn't mean he couldn't tap into that circuit where it originates.

IMHO it makes more sense when adding anything with a significant current draw to use a dedicated circuit created for that item.  The bike has a B+ connector, basically a hot wire for accessories you don't want to run through the accessory switch on the dash.  I'd recommend using that connector in conjunction with a relay triggered by the audio system to make such a dedicated circuit.  Don't forget a fuse.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.